Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How Well Organised is Your Uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My old uni was run by fools, espacially the accommodation people. Whent he accommodation block was built they has card meters, then next year tookt hose out for normal electrcity meters and includes the elec. in the weekly rent, then replaced our good room heaters with crap ones cos they're now paying the bill for them. So now we're all freezing in our rooms!!

Also just got back from uni of sussex after paying my cousin a visit and their campus is frigging huge!!

A few signs up wouldn't hurt!! Also cosidering they have so many student bedrooms onsite they certainly have a major lack of internet access from rooms.

Although their internal bedroom phone network is good and very handy. Shame they want to take advantage by charging student 7p per minute for dial up internet and no provisions for WiFi in most rooms.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most universities are administered by idiots.

In fact, I know no exceptions to that rule.
    Most universities are administered by idiots. In fact, I know no exceptions to that rule.

- Yep, I agree!

- If anyone knows of any exceptions... please write below :D
    my department is run by fools, i got to christams last year before they went oh we told you to do the wrong module and i had to change a term into the corse and they offered no help for me to catch up as that would make them responsible!! Funnily im redoing the year
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Edinburgh is run by a bunch of tossers. They have no clue whatsoever. And the Education Dept is by far the worst. What is funny is that you will get told something by one person and then something completely different by another. That annoys me greatly.
    Durham is run by the cunt who caused the BSE crisis.

Even our chancellor had several run-ins with the incompetent cunt, and chancellors are merely ceremonial. Alas, Sir Peter Ustonov is now dead, and Kenneth Cuntman can do as he wishes.

Starting with shutting the Politics department. have I mentioned that he's a cunt?
    Durham is run by the **** who caused the BSE crisis.

:lol:
    Durham is also one of the top 3 Unis on the island, so it kinda helps to nulify the incompetant **** factor there.

Im at Brum, which has a hell of alot of students (the most in the country i think) but seems to be well organised at a departmental level. the only problem i found was during freshers week, there were not enough sign posts around.
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    :lol:
    Durham is also one of the top 3 Unis on the island, so it kinda helps to nulify the incompetant **** factor there.

No, it just thinks it is.

It is terribly terribly incompetent. And seeing as I'm a Durham grad I should know;)
    No, it just thinks it is.

well so do alot of other people.

I suppose it might be quite brilliant in terms of eminent academics but couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.

Someone who works in Personel (my dad) at Portsmouth Uni told me that theres a phrase that managing academics is like 'trying to heard cats
    :)
    It took Exeter 10 weeks to give me back my damage deposit from my room last year. We worked out they made £2000 in interest from the deposits by keeping them for the 10 weeks. They still blame it on "people not giving over the appropriate details". My housemate had to go ASK for hers back 3 weeks into term (16 weeks after vacating her room.) They had all her bank details etc but said her refund had "just been missed". :eek2:
    Our accommodation office is comletely crap. For many many reasons. A example being how they said they couldnt get me into halls as there wasnt enough room, and because its done on distance away from uni I was too close. Except there was a magical block which was empty bar one person available when we needed to be moved out quickly. Convenient that it also works out that we all pay a lot more living in houses than halls.
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    well so do alot of other people.

I suppose it might be quite brilliant in terms of eminent academics but couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.

I suppose so.

I like havign a Durham degree, very useful :yes:
    Sorry for going against the grain here, but I've never had any problems with the admin here at Leeds. Neither has anyone I know, come to think of it :)
    Originally posted by Samuti
    Sorry for going against the grain here, but I've never had any problems with the admin here at Leeds. Neither has anyone I know, come to think of it :)

apart from having to get 8 people to sign 15 forms to get anything done.
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    Edinburgh is run by a bunch of tossers. They have no clue whatsoever. And the Education Dept is by far the worst. What is funny is that you will get told something by one person and then something completely different by another. That annoys me greatly.

Absolutely. The 2nd year law exams over the christmas have been scheduled for 4 in three days because the computer assigns every course a day irrespective of which years do what. And they won't just ignore the computer. Don't even get me started on the teaching office down at old college.
    It's not bad.