Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Careers & Mental Health

I'm likely to be applying for a job very soon. I haven't decided in what exactly at the time of posting. However, in case I get to an interview, I've got a problem which is worrying me. Now, I left college in June 2003. And now it's November 2004. I've got to explain this gap away somehow, but that's for me to worry about. What I'm really panicking about is whether I should tell any potential employer that I've currently got depression? Does it matter? Could telling them work against me?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Careers & Mental Health
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    What I'm really panicking about is whether I should tell any potential employer that I've currently got depression? Does it matter? Could telling them work against me?

I would only tell them if it will affect your ability to do your job. and if you do tell them, don't be surprised if you then don't get the job.

if there were two people going for a job, same skills and qualifications, but one said they had depression, and one was perfectly healthy, which one do you think they would pick?

feel free to explain the gap like that, i.e. you weren't well, but you have worked on it and now you are fine. but i would be very wary of saying you are a current sufferer.

i have always lied. found it the best way. it doesn't affect my work, so i don't think they need to know.
    Originally posted by kaffrin:
    I would only tell them if it will affect your ability to do your job. and if you do tell them, don't be surprised if you then don't get the job. If there were two people going for a job, same skills and qualifications, but one said they had depression, and one was perfectly healthy, which one do you think they would pick?
    Thank you for that, Kaffrin. I don't think it would affect me, but when you say it could jeopardise my chances, that I can agree with. As for June 2003 onwards, the "ghost year" as I called it, the truth is I was in total denial about depression. But I can't tell them that. So, I'll just follow your suggestion that I was unwell at the time. Thank you for helping, Kaffrin.
    As usual we have an article that might help you!
    Here you go
    :)
    Originally posted by spanner
    As usual we have an article that might help you!
    Here you go :)
    I don't believe this! Is there anything this site doesn't have? Thank you, Spanner, gorgeous moderator indeed! Thanks!:D