Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

can't bring myself to have sex with my boyf

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys, im starting to think i have the most flawed sex life in the world :( a couple of weeks ago i posted a thread about feeling like my bf wasnt interested in having sex with me anymore.now the tables have turned.
last weekend i went to this party, got talking to a guy and just wanted him so badly.ive never looked at another guy throughout my whole relationship so this really worried me and got me thinking about things. i realised all the lust i felt for this guy,i no longer feel for my bf.
i tried to get myself to re-fall for my boyf again sexually,listening to music that reminded me of the early days, cooking romantic meal etc, but when it came down to it i couldnt face the thought of sleeping with him. a couple of days later i let him have sex with me ( *let him* i know that sounds awful) and afterwards i just felt terrible.i dont know how my feelings have just changed so suddenly.im desperate for advice on what to do, this is breaking my heart

Comments

• Options
    Relationships fall into ruts, they all do, especially if you live with each other.

Have a few days apart, and see if that helps.

Really I expect that in your heart you know if the relationship is worth working at or not.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    I've been in this situation more than once, but both times i've somehow got the lust back.
    I didn't try anything, it just came back.
    So stick with your boyfriend at the moment, and try taking afew days away like kermit said. I'm sure it won't be too long before you realise what you want, but don't be too hasty in throwing it away, it could just be a rut.
  • Options
    thanks so much for the replies.i was worried that everyone would say that there was no point trying to sort things out,especially encouraging to hear it happened to you princessamy,how long did it last for with you?
  • Options
    It was a while ago now so I can't remember for sure but I think it was about a couple of months each time.
    Honestly, don't worry to much about it yet, you'll realise in time if the relationship has actually come to an end, but the lack of lust does not mean it has at all.
    Think about how you said your boyfriend was like this before, and he got it back, i'm sure you will too :)
  • Options
    this is actually not a dissimilar situation to the one im in now, and just flicking over it has made me feel a tad better about my predicament. Just shows you how useful these boards are really doesnt it?
  • Options
    in the meantime what do u suggest i do in terms of avoiding sex whilst upsetting my boyf as little as possible.at the moment he keeps trying to seduce me,seeming to think that it'll suddenly come back to me but it just makes me feel guilty when i have to gently turn him down
  • Options
    That is difficult.
    When this was happening to me i just sometimes had sex, despite how much i didnt want it, to prevent him from realising anything was wrong. I'd also try to see him as minimally as possible.

You can try to explain to him, calmly, that you're not feeling much like sex lately, reassure him that it's nothing to do with him. Lie - in this case it's a good thing. Tell him you still find him really attractive but you're just really stressed with other aspects of your life and dont want to think about sex at the moment. You could tell a lie like you've read somewhere that sometimes womens hormones can cause their sex drive to deplete completely for a long while occasionally. (hey, that might even be true!)
  • Options
    After GWST miscarried we didn't have sex for three months.

It happens, all the time. The supposed attitude is that couples are always at it like rabbits, but things get in the way of it.

That's what you need to be thinking about: what's getting in the way of it? Is it that you don't want sex, or is it that you don't want sex with him? I don't just mean looking at other men, because for many if there are problems in the relationship, particularly sexual problems, it is easy to look to new people as the "cure" when they are irrelevant in reality.

Are you unhappy, are you stressed, are you depressed? Sex is mostly psychological.
  • Options
    Re: can't bring myself to have sex with my boyf
    Originally posted by lil yellow star
    hey guys, im starting to think i have the most flawed sex life in the world :( a couple of weeks ago i posted a thread about feeling like my bf wasnt interested in having sex with me anymore.now the tables have turned.
    last weekend i went to this party, got talking to a guy and just wanted him so badly.ive never looked at another guy throughout my whole relationship so this really worried me and got me thinking about things. i realised all the lust i felt for this guy,i no longer feel for my bf.
    i tried to get myself to re-fall for my boyf again sexually,listening to music that reminded me of the early days, cooking romantic meal etc, but when it came down to it i couldnt face the thought of sleeping with him. a couple of days later i let him have sex with me ( *let him* i know that sounds awful) and afterwards i just felt terrible.i dont know how my feelings have just changed so suddenly.im desperate for advice on what to do, this is breaking my heart

Isn't it funny how when this happens to other way around and the person "falling out of love" is a bloke, he gets called scum and is accused of wanting to "sow his wild oats"....:D
  • Options
    Re: Re: can't bring myself to have sex with my boyf
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    Isn't it funny how when this happens to other way around and the person "falling out of love" is a bloke, he gets called scum and is accused of wanting to "sow his wild oats"....:D
    can you point to an instance where that has actually happened, in a comparable situation, because i dont agree with you.
  • Options
    i agree with kermit. have a few days apart+in this time dont think about it constantly. i know this'll be hard, but if you do you'll be putting more pressure on yourself!
    Good idea reminding yourself of old times to rekindle the relationship. as this hasn't worked - why not try doing something special that you dont do very often! why not take him out for a meal/or cook him one in about a weeks time. you'll have both missed each other+will be able to spend quality time together where the focus wont be on sex (unless you're gonna do it in the middle of a restaurant :lol: ) - may make you realise how you truely feel!
    All relationships go thru this hun, so dont worry. Its just happened to me, but the spark just came bk bcos i had some time to myself!!
    Good luck :thumb:
    SBG
  • Options
    Can I point to an instance? It goes on every day, in the media, all around us. When a guy no longer has feelings for his gf he's usually accused of straying for sex etc

Seems like when women do it, they are 'always justified'.

Yep, I'm being bitter because it happened to me. My ex started to become very immature, always attention seeking and changed very radically from the person I first met. After 6 months I could take no more, she's changed almost unrecognisably and my love for her had long since died. In the meantime I'd met a great girl at work and soon realised she was the person who then had my love.

Oh for about 18 months I was accused of only going with the new girl to have my end away, of running away from responsibility etc.

Hardly cuts both ways....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Have a few days apart, and see if that helps. Really I expect that in your heart you know if the relationship is worth working at or not.

Agreed. A few days apart seems to work wonders for my parents when they're having difficult times. They've been married now for 23 years.
  • Options
    had you finished with the other girl first rusty?
  • Options
    In my own mind yes, I'd told her that my love for her had long died but she refused to accept it.
  • Options
    hmm tricky situation then, Im sure that if youd come on here and asked for advice about it, and youd done all you could to finish your previous relationship, then you wouldnt have been judged harshly.
    I expect in real life, the people who judged you didnt know the whole story.
  • Options
    Ive been in this situation too. Maybe the reason he's turning you off is psychological rather than physical. You said yourself that after finding this other guy attractive you felt really guilty. Maybe your just looking for reasons to justify your lusting after another guy. If your head is all messed up then it messes with your feelings too. After being with the same person for a long time you tend to run out of the honeymoon period and into the make/break zone. You really love the person then. Then the major lusting stage is obver and you do tend to look at other people in a more lustful way. The truth is their natural feelings and as long as you dont let anything happen you have nothing to worry about. You have to weigh up whats inportant to you. If you want to sow your oats or whether your truly happy and in love. This feeling will pass. Stop feeling guilty and take a bit of time off to sort out your priorities. I found that being without him broke my heart and that no matter how nice a guy was to look at, no one could make me smile like my boyfriend could. I reckon you'll fall back in lust pretty soon. Good luck.

And then she's gone.