Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Police complaints procedure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know anything about the police complaints procedure? Does each force have its own procedure or does it vary?

I only ask, because there was a bit of unpleasantness after the football today. Apparently wearing an Aberdeen top in Glasgow means your a hooligan, the police were far too heavy handed. It all seemed to start when some 15 year old kid started giving the polis abuse, then about 20/30 fans (not ours I hasten to add) started piling in, then the polis start smacking folk with batons and that (as if we're the problem) and we're all shunted onto our buses, or in our case when we arrived back at Queen Street station, we got shouted at for absolutely nothing and basically shunted onto the train.

Even though it was fuck all to do with our fans, we're the ones who got treated like we were the fucking thugs.

Now apparently after we played Smeltic on Wednesday night, the police were nowhere to be seen, and my mate tells me that our fans had to walk down this wee concorse thing to a gauntlet of thousands of Celtic fans, and there was much jostling etc, and he got his collar grabbed and something was snarled in his ear, etc etc. That could very easily have turned nasty on a big scale.

Fucking disgrace if you ask me. They wanna get their resources sorted out.

So yeah. Complaints procedures?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    not completly sure bri but id imagine you should jsut go to your nearest station and ask for a complaint form or verbally complain and see where that gets you

as i said im not sure at all realy but thats what i would done

and yeah the police are funny with people after football games
    Police, bouncers, security guards love all the power.

Sad, really, because there's not much skill neeeded for any of them.

Anyhoo, I'd have a nosy at Strathclyde Police website and see if there's a complaints area. Failing that, have a bargy at the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Good luck.
    Some good info here

also independant police complaints commission if its of use to you

and some mor info here

Hope they are of help Bri :)
    Do they have those police vans with video surveliance?

I'd have thought that helps keep everyone on their best behaviour including the cops,cos it's all taped!!

Police Batons are soemthing out of the dark ages, in the US they have those martial arts type sticks which you can simply use to hold someone away from you rather then hitting them on the head!
    Is there any point in complaining? Im a football fan and know exactly what your talking about. But will anything come of it? Unfortunatly due to the behaviour of a minority of football supporters the rest seem to get treated like cattle especially away fans. In your case it just seemed like it was a case of the police wanting you out of the city. And out of there way, however it does not warrant the way you was treated.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Not point at all complaining, the police always go OTT with football. Read up on Section 60 if you can, has some good info with regards to the treating of football fans.