Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

wife swap

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this doesn't belong in entertainment because it is a comment on one specific person starring in the show, not the show itself.

on, tuesday night i settled down to watch the national television awards. one of the awards was for best reality programme. i had never watched 'wife swap' in the past, and never have had any inclination to. when a clip from this show came on, it featured two, one could call them working class individuals, and a middle class couple. the middle class woman was criticising the 'working' class woman for not actually bothering to go out to work all week. the working class woman said, 'you sit there and you think you're all better than me, well you're not'.

At that point I turned off in disgust. How dare someone who has barely done a day's work in their life speak to someone who works hard and has done well in such an insulting manner. The middle class woman WAS better than the 'working' class woman, because she had worked for a living. The working class woman is a leech on our society and a burden that hard-working people of this country have to bear because she's too lazy.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How dare she. I'm fortunate not to have seen it.
    I'd say this goes in politics and debate.
    That's appauling. I hope you vomitted with rage.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I'd say this goes in politics and debate.

I don't know, I considered it might belong in entertainment, also in politics and debate, and i settled on here because it's kinda a 'middle ground', as it were.

what's your views on the topic in question?
    Did it actually tell you anything about the situation? If it didnt couldnt it be that she spends all day at home looking after her children? or she is ill and unable to work (please dont say you diagnosed her throughthe tv screen and she is ok!).

The world isnt so black and white you know!!
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    what's your views on the topic in question?

Don't know, didn't see it so I don't know why the woman didn't go out to work. I know a lot of people who don't go out to work, they're called full time mothers and 'housewives'. Most of them are 'middle class' too. Most working class people I know (my parents included) needed to have two wages coming in when we were little else they couldn't have afforded anything.

I don't agree with families where two parents don't work because they don't want to (rather than because they can't get work or they have a disabilty etc) but obviously in this case of 'wife swap' the woman had a husband. Perhaps he worked?
    How dare someone who has barely done a day's work in their life speak to someone who works hard and has done well in such an insulting manner.

Like I said, from one clip we cannot ascertain why she hasn't been working, or indeed that she hasn't done a days work in her life. People shouldn't speak to one another in that manner anyway but they do, its human nature.
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Entertainment, that's all it is.
    It's a programme been thrown together to show the differences between middle / upper / working whatever class.

Entertainment forum also, as you posed no political question / point :)
    hehehe

But it's worth a view if you fancy some funny TV (gotta get a sense of humour tho!)

Precisely, it is a programme that has been 'thrown together'. I bet it's bloody cheap to make. God, I despise cheap and nasty television.

Funny television would be people making fools out of themselves. Unamusing television involves people who are capable of work but can't be bothered to because they're too fucking lazy and therefore when I pay my National Insurance it's going to them when they don't deserve it, rather than into my pension fund.
    Unamusing television involves people who are capable of work but can't be bothered to because they're too fucking lazy and therefore when I pay my National Insurance it's going to them when they don't deserve it, rather than into my pension fund.
    There are a few threads in the politics and debate form which would link in nicely to this.

If you don't like this kind of programming there is always the 'off' button on your remote control. I thought you were a student? I didn't pay NI when I was a student as I didn't earn enough.
    I think wife swap is a good reality show, which highlights the different ways families live around the country. It's interesting to get inside peoples homes and see how they organise their children/meals/etc.

Yes it is contrived the way they tend to pick a "posh" family and a more "common" type, but it's not always like that. I saw a good one with eco warriers who swapped with Mr and Mrs Modern gadget.
    I agree with Anton LaVey on this point.

'God must really have loved the working class. I mean, he made so many of them.'

Just a rondom quote, don't worry, I'm mysteriously dissapearing again now.
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I think wife swap is a good reality show, which highlights the different ways families live around the country. It's interesting to get inside peoples homes and see how they organise their children/meals/etc.

Yes it is contrived the way they tend to pick a "posh" family and a more "common" type, but it's not always like that. I saw a good one with eco warriers who swapped with Mr and Mrs Modern gadget.

I've never watched Wife Swap (except the infamous episode with the mouthy woman who had 25 kids or something and was on 2000 different benefits, Lizzy was it?) but I think shows like this are good as social indicators. Everyone just assumes that the way they live is generally how other people live and I think it does people the world of good to have their eyes opened to the world around them. Just from working with members of the public I've come to realise that a lot of people don't have the same kind of upbringing and thus their values and morals are vastly different. I don't even think this has anything to do with 'class' or money but more to do with your parents attitudes.
    The middle class woman WAS better than the 'working' class woman
    That statement certainly should be in Politics & Debate. You really think someone's worth is based on their class?

As for Wife Swap, I actually enjoyed watching a couple of them last year. I agree with Pussy and Bumble - it's interesting to see how other people spend their lives.
    I think you're confusing 'working class' with benefit frauding council-estate scum.
    Originally posted by Smash
    I think you're confusing 'working class' with benefit frauding council-estate scum.
    Good point.

Your presence is required in Politics & Debate
    Originally posted by Kentish
    That statement certainly should be in Politics & Debate. You really think someone's worth is based on their class?

I referred to them as middle and working class because one was middle class and the other was working class. It made it clear what the difference was between the two people (expect a judi dench-esque persona from one, and an east-london drawl from the other), and the statement was not based on this fact. If a so-called working class person actually works hard and earns money, they're no different from a middle class person who works hard and earns money. If a person of any class has no good reason not to work, and yet decides not to because they're lazy, they're then regarded by me as the underclass, a burden on society and a leech on those of us who do sweat it for 8+ hours a day.
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Good point.

Your presence is required in Politics & Debate

Oooh no, long threads. Haven't the attention span.
    Politics forum - all words, no pictures. :crazyeyes
    Originally posted by Smash
    Oooh no, long threads. Haven't the attention span.
    Politics forum - all words, no pictures. :crazyeyes
    Bah. It started short, then people got into it and it evolved.

You'd love it. :cool: