Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Period pains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Woo, original topic, I know.

I get really, really bad period pains. I always have done. Anyways, I was on the mini-pill for about a year and a half in an attempt to sort them out, and it kinda worked - they were lighter, and usually less painful, but also really irregular and I gained weight. So I came off it about three months ago, and the pain is back with a vengeance. Buuut, my periods already seem to be back to some kind of regularity and I've lost the weight.

So ideally, I don't really want to go back on the mini-pill. I'm gonna talk it through with my doctor, but I just wondered if any of yous lot had any bright ideas I could mention when I go see her. I can't go on the combined pill because of medical history, and I assume that would rule out anything like the injection because I belieeeve they work using the same hormones, but I could well be wrong. I've also tried mefenamic acid and sommme kind of muscle relaxant tablet, the name of which I forget. Apart from that, I'm open to any suggestions at all.

Danke. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I do get my period (which is very rarely) I get really bad cramps so I use this heating pad thing that I just put across my stomach and sometimes my back and I feel better in about 30 minutes.

(I have a very short attention span so I didnt read all your post, sorry if my suggestion wasnt what your looking for :blush: )
    I'm not certain, but aren't there different brands of the Mini-Pill, like there are the Combined Pill? I've been on Micronor (M-P) for about 10 months, and I haven't had a single period since I started on it (perfectly fine, according to my Doc!). I haven't had any problems with it at all - unlike the Combined Pill, which used to give me really bad migraines and aggrevate IBS (which I haven't had an episode of since I went on the M-P) - I honestly can't remember what my periods were like when I was on the Combined Pill, it's that long ago! Vaguely, I remember them always being slightly painful as I never even felt like I was on before I started on any kind of Pill (back when I was a young 16, aww bless!).

Could it just be a case of not being on the right M-P for you? :)
    feminax

feminax is availabe over the counter at most pharmacys. I used to have it a lot for really heavy period pains. It contains caffeine, hycosine and codeine - off the top of my head, codeine kills the pain, hycosine relaxes the muscles (= less pain!) and the caffeine is a stimulant to keep you going! I tried a lot of tablets for painful periods, and feminax was the only one that worked for me! just ask your pharmacist if you can take it due to your pre med record.

or ask your doctor for mefenamic acid tablets - make periods lighter and less painful. didn;t work as well as feminax, but it was worth a shot.
    Re: feminax
    Originally posted by denim_angel37
    mefenamic acid tablets - make periods lighter and less painful.
    If think you're thinking about tranexamic acid which does indeed make periods lighter. Mefanamic acid is a painkiller which is used for period pains.
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    When I do get my period (which is very rarely) I get really bad cramps so I use this heating pad thing that I just put across my stomach and sometimes my back and I feel better in about 30 minutes.

Yeah, that sometimes works for me but only when it's not that bad to start with, and isn't much good if I'm at college or work. :/
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    I'm not certain, but aren't there different brands of the Mini-Pill, like there are the Combined Pill? I've been on Micronor (M-P) for about 10 months, and I haven't had a single period since I started on it (perfectly fine, according to my Doc!). I haven't had any problems with it at all - unlike the Combined Pill, which used to give me really bad migraines and aggrevate IBS (which I haven't had an episode of since I went on the M-P) - I honestly can't remember what my periods were like when I was on the Combined Pill, it's that long ago! Vaguely, I remember them always being slightly painful as I never even felt like I was on before I started on any kind of Pill (back when I was a young 16, aww bless!).

Could it just be a case of not being on the right M-P for you? :)

Hadn't thought about/realised there were different brands of the mini-pill. Will ask about that, ta. :thumb:
    Originally posted by denim_angel37
    feminax is availabe over the counter at most pharmacys. I used to have it a lot for really heavy period pains. It contains caffeine, hycosine and codeine - off the top of my head, codeine kills the pain, hycosine relaxes the muscles (= less pain!) and the caffeine is a stimulant to keep you going! I tried a lot of tablets for painful periods, and feminax was the only one that worked for me! just ask your pharmacist if you can take it due to your pre med record.

or ask your doctor for mefenamic acid tablets - make periods lighter and less painful. didn;t work as well as feminax, but it was worth a shot.

I've already tried mefenamic acid tablets without much success, and I can't take anything with codeine in because I have a bad reaction to it - meant to mention that in my original post!

Thanks for your replies, much 'preciated. :)
    i'm pretty sure that the injection is more like the mini-pill than the combined pill (hence why both mini-pill and injection can stop your periods).

but one for a doctor/family planning clinic, methinks. have a big long chat with them, and i'm sure they'll sort you out.
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Hadn't thought about/realised there were different brands of the mini-pill. Will ask about that, ta. :thumb:

I don't think there are many, only about five or six different types, compared to 20-30 brands of Combined Pill.. :)