Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why is football so violent?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Please explain to me why football fans want to beat eachother up? Just because of what football team they support?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because they've failed to take the next evolutionary step: self-control?
    Football's very tribal. Rivalries are greater than any other sport IMHO. There's nothing wrong with a bit of friendly banter, but a handful of cretins take it to the next step.
    Re: Why is football so violent?
    Originally posted by Godders
    Please explain to me why football fans want to beat eachother up? Just because of what football team they support?

It is a minority of Fans.

Consider that United had just over 100 people arrested last year - one of the alledged worst recorsds - yet their usual crowd exceeds 65,000 people. That a minimum of 19 times in a season.

Simple maths would show you how tiny a minority we are actually talking about here...
    Someone made a comment in the boozer the other day and I liked it and so I thought I'd share the wise words with you, it kinda fits in with the topic...
    "Football is a gentlemans game played by animals, Rugby is an animals game played by gentleman" or something similar.
    I think this follows on into the terraces aswell because Rugby fans don't have seperate ends they all sit together and you very rarely see fights at rugby.
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Someone made a comment in the boozer the other day and I liked it and so I thought I'd share the wise words with you, it kinda fits in with the topic...
    "Football is a gentlemans game played by animals, Rugby is an animals game played by gentleman" or something similar.
    I think this follows on into the terraces aswell because Rugby fans don't have seperate ends they all sit together and you very rarely see fights at rugby.

Yea this is something i was thinking of. Rugby is a much more violent sport. And there is something actually worth getting angry about. But iv been watchin my home town since i was a few weeks old and iv never seen a fight between supporters.

But are people really this passionate and sad to get so upset over football?
    Because the hoolies want to fight and the tribal thing and culture of football hooliganism attracts them, there isn't the same culture with any other sport so football gets it. For them its the same buzz some people get from drugs or sex and like any buzz it becomes attractive.

Many work in crap jobs and have a crap mundane life and football violence gives them something to look forward to on the weekend, remember the film 'Human Traffic' different buzz, same reason quite often.

I'm not condoning it, just telling it like it is. A mate summed it up when I asked him why he did it: 'Its alright for you, you've got something to look forward to in life'. For him this is when he becomes something. I would recommend reading 'Among The Thugs' by Bill Buford, who takes a very good academic look at the scene, if you wish to investigate more.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679745351/002-0435772-4476004?v=glance
    Anyone seen the film ID?? Now that films class.
    Re: Re: Why is football so violent?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    It is a minority of Fans.

fans?

These are just twats who use football rivalry as an excuse to hit each other. Hopefully in time they will all kill each other and the fans can get on with supporting their team.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Football factory weren't bad ... I can't even remember that little runt elijah wood in it either - which was a good thing

That's because he wasn't in The Football Factory. He's in another film about hoolies yet to be released.
    Weekender Offender 
    Originally posted by Skive
    That's because he wasn't in The Football Factory. He's in another film about hoolies yet to be released.

Which is about the 2 sets of 'fans' in the news this week. West ham and millwall. I saw Elijah Wood at upton park last season
    why not just take them to wasteland and fence it of let them fight each other and be done with it.