Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

we export arms.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and not just a little, but a quarter of global arms trade is from us, and we sell to both sides in conflicts, so how can we pretend to be anything other than a warmongering nation? and why arent people bothered that we are responsible for millions of deaths around the world........?

Comments

• Options
    Are ya from the UK?
  • Options
    Re: we export arms.......
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    and why arent people bothered that we are responsible for millions of deaths around the world........?

as long as they're raking in the cash, no one of particular influence is going to complain.
  • Options
    oops, that might help, yes.
  • Options
    and not just a little, but a quarter of global arms trade is from us, and we sell to both sides in conflicts, so how can we pretend to be anything other than a warmongering nation? and why arent people bothered that we are responsible for millions of deaths around the world........?
    Indeed...
  • Options
    why arent people bothered that we are responsible for millions of deaths around the world........?
    back to jobs and money again i suppose.
    if only we could change that production to medicines or something.
    it pisses me right off.
    the americans want to stop their arses being shredded in iraq ...where do they get all the weapons ...?
  • Options
    is it just me or does America NEED a war now and again to keep their military contracts and feed the war machine :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    is it just me or does America NEED a war now and again to keep their military contracts and feed the war machine :confused:
    yup. i mean no it's not you.
  • Options
    If Britain stopped selling arms altogether it wouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference to the countries we supply. They would simply buy their weapons elsewhere; probably from the French.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    If Britain stopped selling arms altogether it wouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference to the countries we supply. They would simply buy their weapons elsewhere; probably from the French.

Just like crack dealers, eh?

The point is what exactly, caller?

:confused:
  • Options

We are not responsible, the people who use the weapons are.

Put this way, if I sell you a car and you then kill someone with it, is it my fault?
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    The point is what exactly, caller?

Countries have legitimate and lawful reasons to purchase weapons from us. If countries misuse the weapons it is not our responsibility.

And given that if Britain stopped selling weapons those that buy off us would simply buy off say France it would make no difference. So why sacrifice thousands of British jobs and significantly hurt the British economy when it wouldn’t actually improve the lives of anybody who is allegedly harmed by the weapons that Britain sells?
  • Options
    Re: Re: we export arms.......
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Put this way, if I sell you a car and you then kill someone with it, is it my fault?

Cars do kill people, but that is not their intended purpose, and most of the time they cause slow death with their toxic fumes.

However, if you knew that I had killed several people with cars, and then sold me another car, I'm pretty sure that the law would find you had some culpability in the matter........

If you sell , or give weapons of destruction to tyrannical regimes you ARE responsible for what they do with them.

:eek2:
  • Options
  • Options
    Countries have legitimate and lawful reasons to purchase weapons from us. If countries misuse the weapons it is not our responsibility.

And given that if Britain stopped selling weapons those that buy off us would simply buy off say France it would make no difference. So why sacrifice thousands of British jobs and significantly hurt the British economy when it wouldn’t actually improve the lives of anybody who is allegedly harmed by the weapons that Britain sells?

Ho hum, why sacrifice jobs when we can sacrifice LIVES?

Now thats a no-brainer.....

And, as it goes, you're dead wrong about the jobs ......

the number of people employed in producing arms for export is less than 0.3% of the workforce
  • Options
    It would make a difference to our conscience don't you think?

I'm not religious type anyway, but I do really wonder how those people who see nothing wrong with supplying the death industry and who also see themselves as religious plan to explain to God why it's alright to sell two warring factions weapons so they can kill more people more efficiently.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Ho hum, why sacrifice jobs when we can sacrifice LIVES?

Now thats a no-brainer.....

And, as it goes, you're dead wrong about the jobs ......

the number of people employed in producing arms for export is less than 0.3% of the workforce

freethepeeps,

You’re oblivious to the fact that countries have legitimate and lawful reasons to purchase weapons. You fail to accept that we are not responsible for misuse of weapons.

If somebody buys a kitchen knife from Tescos and then stabs somebody are Tesco responsible? I think not.

Likewise if they sell somebody some spirits and they later die from alcohol poisoning is it Tesco’s fault?

Or if somebody buys a packet of Marlboros every day from Tesco and they later get lung cancer is it Tesco’s fault?

Sacrificing lives? If Britain stopped selling weapons it wouldn’t save any lives. (It would however give the French arms industry a significant boost. I wonder if the French arms industry donate to the Campaign against UK export of weapons?)
  • Options
    freethepeeps,

You’re oblivious to the fact that countries have legitimate and lawful reasons to purchase weapons. You fail to accept that we are not responsible for misuse of weapons.

If somebody buys a kitchen knife from Tescos and then stabs somebody are Tesco responsible? I think not.

Sacrificing lives? If Britain stopped selling weapons it wouldn’t save any lives. (It would however give the French arms industry a significant boost. I wonder if the French arms industry donate to the Campaign against UK export of weapons?)

Have you ever tried cutting bread with an M16 or F16?

Can you give me statistics that show that breadknives kill as many people as Mi6s or F16s do.

You keep pointing at non-weapons and saying "if its used as a weapon is it my fault?"

And the answer is no, unless you sell the breadknife to someone you know keeps killing people with breadknives.

On the other hand, M16s and F16s are built to kill, and you know exactly what they're going to be used for, and you can't even pretend that they're going to be used for anything else.

Do you remember the shopkeeper in Glasgow who got done for selling glue sniffing kits to kids? He used your 'argument' and got convicted.

Have you no morality man?
  • Options
    freethepeeps,

However if Tesco saw two men having a heated argument outside their store and then both men walked in and bought a kitchen knife, Tesco would be quite responsible if the two men proceeded to stab each other at the checkout.

You don't see anything wrong with Britsh ministers peddling British weapons to both India and Pakistan then?
  • Options
  • Options
    What both of you – Aladdin & freethepeeps have failed to recognise are the lawful and legitimate reasons for countries to purchase weapons...
  • Options
    well thats pretty shitty attitude, let the french have it on their conscience, the fact is we export considerably more........as for it not being our responsibility, well yes it fucking is, we are supposed to be making the world a freer democratic world, yet we sell millions worth of weapons to repressive elitists in East Timor for instance, where they are used to put down democratic revolts by the people, so we are in effect actively supporting tyranny, because they're our tyrants........it fucking sucks bigtime.........

we sell to pakistan and india, now they're well equipped to whoop each other and we act shocked when theres military unrest, it takes the piss......and MoK, if i sell you a gun what are you gonna do with it, you sure cant take it for a drive, ridiculous argument........kinves also have legitimate purposes, guns dont thats why they're banned........yet we dont have a problem with them spilling into streets all around the world........

as for jobs and the economy blah blah its rubbish because lots of studies suggest it wouldnt make a lot of difference, thats just a handy pretext to keep on selling them to countries in return for favours and allies.....
  • Options
    What both of you – Aladdin & freethepeeps have failed to recognise are the lawful and legitimate reasons for countries to purchase weapons...

And what you have failed to recognise is that there are already enough weapons to destroy the world several times over, that making them and selling them inevitably leads to massacres, and that saying "he did it first, miss" doesn't make it okay.

Do you think this defence would be succesful?

"Your honour I raped her, because if I didn't someone else would have .........."

Are you in favour of arming the whole UK population disillusioned?

:confused:
  • Options
    Common sense and responsibility are an integral part of selling weapons.

There is a massive difference between selling arms to a stable nation not engaged in any conflicts (say Sweden) and selling them to warring nations or those on the brink of nuclear holocaust- in particular when they sell them to both sides of the conflict (say India, Pakistan and endless African factions).

It's completely wrong, amoral and despicable.
  • Options
    Re: Re: we export arms.......
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

If you sell the car to someone not responsible to use it, then partly yes.

In the same sense there is a difference between selling arms to Italy and selling them to Colombia.......
  • Options
    “WE export arms”
    What does this pathetic We mean? As far as I know you have no right even to keep your grandfather’s rusty revolver under your mattress not speaking about exporting it!