Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hollyoaks and Dope

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Zella
    Thats a rubbish excuse!! They have lots of sex, wear tiny tiny skirts in december, swear, fight, binge drink, yet your saying that they cant be truthful because of children?? Bullshit.

I totally agree with you, I am yet to see an episode of Hollyoaks where sex isn’t featured. But, like Bong said, it would be very hard for the makers of the programme to give an honest portrayal of dope smokers without appearing to be encouraging or condoning it.
    I dont think it would be, as I said there are loads of reasons young people shouldnt be using cannabis.
    But, like Bong said, it would be very hard for the makers of the programme to give an honest portrayal of dope smokers without appearing to be encouraging or condoning it.

Thats because the truth doesnt involve an outright condemnation and labelling of something as evil, and is also a big reason why useful drug education, research and discussion has been stifled so.
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    Thats because the truth doesnt involve an outright condemnation and labelling of something as evil, and is also a big reason why useful drug education, research and discussion has been stifled so.

I know, but parents don't care about the truth they just want their kids to not do drugs.
    Scare tactics never work though do they.

I think we all know how successful the 'Just Say No' campaign was.
    I know, but parents don't care about the truth they just want their kids to not do drugs.

and all parents want their kids to have the best jobs, education, house, partner and to always be happy.

Thats is by very definition what they want. Unfortunately they dont agree on the best way to implement this philosophy.

Admirable intentions do not always precipitate the best way to act.
    and all parents want their kids to have the best jobs, education, house, partner and to always be happy.

Thats is by very definition what they want. Unfortunately they dont agree on the best way to implement this philosophy.

Admirable intentions do not always precipitate the best way to act.

true, drugs are seen as a deterrent to sucess
    true, drugs are seen as a deterrent to sucess

we've had this conversation before, and im sure you agreed when i said you probably could have done even better than you did at college if you were'nt using.

Cannabis is a definate inhibitor to acdemic success; to what degree will vary between people and rate of use.
    If you've seen it lately the geezer who's been smoking slapped his mother, all this cuz of a smoke lol
    Originally posted by Nash
    If you've seen it lately the geezer who's been smoking slapped his mother, all this cuz of a smoke lol

:rolleyes: you never want to be violent when you smoke
    Originally posted by turlough
    :rolleyes: you never want to be violent when you smoke

Dont say never, people react to different drugs differently.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Dont say never, people react to different drugs differently.

i know but generally, whenever you smoke a few spliffs you just sit in a hazy bubble, fighting definately the last thing on your mind
    i think irritability can be a common side effect of regular marijuana use.
    i think irritability can be a common side effect of regular marijuana use.
    not come across that one marti.
    Part of withdrawal if you've being smoking too much for too long ;)
    Has anyone been watching Jack getting off it on Neighbours?

Fucking wide eyed bastard can't act to save his life... at least they aren't blaming it all on the drugs though ;) and there's a bent copper involved :D
    not come across that one marti.

roll (with the greatest respect) with the level of drug use that you describe yourself as having experienced, that doesnt surprise me. There ARE people who can cain loads for a very long period of time and suffer less negative effects than others, but i swear to god if i had even experienced a fraction of your usage (especially with stimulants) i would not be here or i would make Shaun Ryder look like a Neurology professor.

I know many people who recognise this as a side effect of regular marijuana use, that is not so present when the drug use is removed. :D
    I have to say im with Martin_Bashir on this one.
    One of my house "mates" is a very heavy marijuana user. He is the most skitso person that i know. All his old friends say that he never used to be like that. He screams at the walls, thinks there talking to him, and has pulled a £/$ ton vending machine on top of himself because it is evil.

I think that the weed in its self causes him to act like this and many of his old friends are as sure as they could possibly be that the weed trigured this side to him.

When he isnt stoned (you can tell just by looking at him as he tends to get himself in a right state) he is ok, says hello if you pass him in the hall, has a conversation with people. Where as when he is stoned he is unbearable and is either completley ignorant or screaming abuse at you, an inanimate object, the walls, just anything that takes his fancy really.

He has been known to be physically thretening towards people however i dont think that this has turned into actual violence against a person yet. I use the word yet as no one can trust him at all and whilst he is around he is not the only one that is paranoid.

I know that this is a very extreme case but things like this do occur and like bong said drugs do affect everyone in different ways
    To be honest Mel, it sounds a lot like the cannabis is just making worse a situation that was already there.

To blame anyones action on the drug purely is really missing half or more of the picture. The set and setting of the experience play's such a vital role.

Thats why I'm always a little annoyed when people say "oh it wasnt my fault I was drunk/stonned/high" because its not like the booze/whatever pushed itself down their neck.
    I only think that the drug causes him to act in that way, because he is "normal" for need of a better word when he is not stoned and gets progresivley worse the more he smokes