Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sex Education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wondered what you thought a bout sex education.

I believe that children should be taught sex education at an early age because some people start puberty early and if they are not informed correctly to begin with then they may become scared with what is happening to their body.

I know that when one of my best friends started her periods she was only at first school and their arn't even sanitary bins provided.

Do you think that children should be taught sex education at an earlier age?

Comments

• Options
    In year six we were taught about the changes that were happening to our bodies but it wasnt untill year 10 that we were taught about sex.
  • Options
    i had "sex-ed" when i was in year 6, but it was separate sexes - boys got taught aboput body hair, erections+got given free condoms (but weren't shown how to use them) and girls got told about breasts, periods and got free towels.
    It was stupid, bcos there was nothing about sex what-so-ever, would have been so much better if we'd been shown a video about sex/ STI's or summat.
    ali - i agree with u. i know a girl who had an accident when she was 8+started her periods then!
    SBG
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    In year six we were taught about the changes that were happening to our bodies but it wasnt untill year 10 that we were taught about sex.

Same for me, and by that point me and quite alot of others were already having sex.
    Add to that the fact the sex ed we had was a load of rubbish and we might aswell have gone without.

I think sex education REALLY needs to improve in schools. It should start early and carry on reguarly throughout. And every aspect of it should be covered in alot of detail.

Does anyone know how much money the government puts into sex education?
  • Options
    Originally posted by princessamy
    Same for me, and by that point me and quite alot of others were already having sex. Add to that the fact the sex ed we had was a load of rubbish and we might aswell have gone without.

Agreed. Also, I was disappointed at the lack of teaching when it came to the emotional aspects of sex and relationships.
  • Options
    i didnt know what my periods were when i started, i was told about tampons and pads, but not what would actually happen
  • Options
    Sex-ed was shit. I agree with the idea of bringing it up young and regularly bringing it back because aspects of it become more and more relevant as you get older. I didn't know what periods were till year 5/6, sex was never actually taught-I didn't even know about like, condoms untill I stole one of my brothers (he had like, a load from a sex-clinic) opened it up and looked at it, and that was when I was like 15. I read the pamphlet and everything and to me- that information was relevant! I knew nothing about it otherwise. Was taught the science of getting pregnant and making a baby. Nothing emotional about sex or relationships. The thing our boys were taught about girls and periods "Be a bit nicer to them. If you say something ruder then usual, they'll probably burst out crying. Be nicer, be careful- they get tempermental" :yeees: typical twatty male teachers our secondary had.

Can anyone say they were ever taught what a clitoris was?! Sounds barmy question but I knew something was there ya know-bit concerned cause it was a lump, came here YEARS back, before I started posting on the boards and like, read the info of sex, and my body. Thankfully I could find it here. When I first had sex, me and my bf were new to each others body and communicated extremely well so we told each other what we knew about the workings of our own bodies and looked and touched and stuff, and I showed him this place, and he had questions and such.

Sex Ed SUCKS!

Malt Munk :D:D:D
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by malteser monkay
    Can anyone say they were ever taught what a clitoris was?!

My yr 6 sex ed teacher did, off the record to the boys. :confused: Then she said how guys always had to be good to girls, and all this really pro-woman thing, almost giving off the impression that sex is one sided and it's supposed to be about the man making the woman feel good.

But luckily, when you get out into the real world a bit you learn how it actually is. I think a real reason why so many people get taught different things is because the government is very sketchy about guidelines to what should be taught. I think emotional aspects should be covered in greater depth, and especially homosexuality and bisexuality need some coverage.
  • Options
    No, I can honestly say that I was never taught how to use a condom. We were told that they went on the penis but never shown how to put it on correctly like at some schools.
  • Options
    in year 10 or 11 we had plastic penis' and condoms and we got to practice putting them on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    in year 10 or 11 we had plastic penis' and condoms and we got to practice putting them on.

Your school was up market, we only got test tubes!

That was in year 8 mind i really don't remember any sex education in years 10+11 apart from biology. Thankfully i knew most of it for myself.
    We were all kind of shocked on our induction day in year 10 when we found out that one of our class mates was already pregnant, at the end of like year 9.