Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Interview wear?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am through the first round of interviews for my first porper job. The next round sees me in the lab showing them my skills, a personality test and a meet with the chief exec. What should I wear?!

Last time I wore a black polo neck, grey trews and a suede jacket-looked smart in a non suit way. But I don't have many work interview clothes!

I have a smart denim blazer that I want to wear but would this be a bad idea if it was worn in a smart casual way? What sort of make up should I wear-I guess no glitter?

Also in the first interview I was totally me, comical and made them laugh, honest, confident and played up all my talenst-and made my weaknesses in to potential areas that were good (eg, if i wasn't trained in some skill I could learn) So do you think I should act in the same way in this interview-relaxed and sorta informal or should I be more formal cus its the chief exec-but wont that appear fake if I am different and I obv got on ok how I was to get through to this round?

So sorry if this is a bit too fashion for this forum but it saves makin two threads!

Comments

• Options
    Black trousers. Smart top.
    No, be yourself :)
  • Options
    It's a difficult one, this - striking the balance between being professional but also giving away part of your personality is hard in an interview situation. If you were 'yourself' in the first one and it got you through they obviously aren't the kind of company to be turned off by this, so I'd go with the same style for your next one. Just don't overdo it - they want to see what kind of person you are and for you to have a 'life' - use examples of your hobbies and trips you've been on to tell them more about the type of person you are but use professional ones, too. Remember that they want to see what kind of person you are because they have to work with you so try not to give a false impression.

Useful links:

Preparing for an interview
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    It's a difficult one, this - striking the balance between being professional but also giving away part of your personality is hard in an interview situation.
    This may seem like a daft question, but what sodding difference does it make whether you have a nice personality? Ultimately, the boss is at work because he or she wants money, and he or she wants to employ people that will make more money for the company. I don't want to give my personality away to an employer, I can't stand the idea of mateyness between employers and employees.
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    If you were 'yourself' in the first one and it got you through they obviously aren't the kind of company to be turned off by this, so I'd go with the same style for your next one.

:yes:

maybe wear something smart, but then take a bag or wear an acessory that's really you and memorable, so when they're talking over the candidates later, they'll say ' you know, the girl with the bright red bag' instead of 'oh, um...that non-descript...oh, i can't remember'.
    This may seem like a daft question, but what sodding difference does it make whether you have a nice personality?

you spend more time with your colleagues than with anyone else, so it makes life a lot easier if you all get on.
    I don't want to give my personality away to an employer, I can't stand the idea of mateyness between employers and employees.

good luck getting a job then :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    you spend more time with your colleagues than with anyone else, so it makes life a lot easier if you all get on. good luck getting a job then.

What I am saying is I don't want my boss to know everything about me. For me, I've got other difficulties to explain away somehow, but I'm not hijacking this thread.