Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gibraltar

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But it is just a little town off the coast of Spain.

The reason they like being 'British' is because they have all the benefits of being British but pay no tax.

They want to be British so much they can pay tax like everyone else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Gibraltar has been British for 700 years.
    300 actually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    We Brits could consider giving Back Gibraltar when Spain give back Ceuta and Melilla back to Morocco.
    That is certainly no concern of the UK... unless you own Morocco as well... :rolleyes:
    Mate here you talking absolute rubbish that isn't even true. Gibraltar is a true place. It has had a referendum and wishes to remain part of the UK. Why is it so difficult to accept this?
    Why? Because a place that had been Spanish since the beginning of time was taken by force by a foreign power based thousands of miles and artificially populated by foreigners. 300 years later their descendants can at least claim to come from the place, but the abnormality of a chunk of mainland Spain that was taken by force and declared 'foreign' territory remains.

I wonder how you would react if just outside Stoke there was an area fenced off, declared 'Spanish' land and with the Spanish flag flying high on it for all the British to see...
  • Options
    Spain would be a hypercrite then.
    That might be the case (or then again might be not- circumstances regarding Ceuta and Melilla are different from Gibraltar, but never mind), but it is certainly not for the British government to base its decision on Gibraltar on separate issues that do not concern Great Britain.
    Spain can have stoke if they want? and I'll have Benidorm! :D
    :D
  • Options
    Because a place that had been Spanish since the beginning of time

:lol:
    taken by force by a foreign power based thousands of miles and artificially populated by foreigners

So , by your logic, you would advocate forcefully removing them, Stalin style, just so Spain could fly its flag over a miserable little corner of the peninsula.
    declared 'foreign' territory remains.

It wasnt declared, the SPanish agreed to it, if they didnt, why havent they invaded, you make it seem like all Spain is clamouring for the return of Gibralter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    :lol:
    Is it not the case?

The point being Matadore, that the area had been populated by the same native people since the beginning of time, regardless of when the kingdom of Spain was actually formed. The forceful appropriation of Gibraltar by an alien power and culture and its subsequent repopulation with foreigners was completely unnatural.

[So , by your logic, you would advocate forcefully removing them, Stalin style, just so Spain could fly its flag over a miserable little corner of the peninsula.
    Have you been reading the thread at all?

Where have I proposed that?

It wasnt declared, the SPanish agreed to it, if they didnt, why havent they invaded, you make it seem like all Spain is clamouring for the return of Gibralter.
    The Spanish were beaten in a war and forced to sign. Not different from a schoolboy being 'persuaded' to hand over his lunch money by the bully.

Why hasn't Spain invaded? Because unlike some people who believe that war, bullying and force legitimate things, the Spanish government believes a peaceful compromise is the only solution.
  • Options
    So does my country!

Twat!
  • Options
    Get a life!

Twat!
  • Options
    So does my country! So leave Gibraltar alone!
    What? :confused:
  • Options
    see what I mean... go home.

Stop being a twat.

:(
  • Options
    the people there decide, its thier lives that are affected by whose sovereignty it is

our government says "if the people want to discuss with spain we will" but they dont in tthe last referendum a couple of years ago it was 98% in favour of staying british - im sure theyd rather be independant, but if we left them alone the spanish WOULD go and claim it

self determination and all :p

end of really
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't know... what's to think of it? The invaded, the made some positive contributions, eventually they got kicked out, they left a nice legacy I guess...
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes I do, considering it was ours from the beginning and that the Moorish illegally invaded and occupied our land.
  • Options
  • Options
    More or less... The kingdom of Spain was born in 1492 when Ferdinand and Isabella completed the Reconquista of Andalucia. But it existed as 'Hispania' in pretty much the same shape and territory much earlier, during the Roman Empire.