Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TUC Urging 50p minimum wage rise.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Story

It seems reasonable enough to me, especially the idea that the age minimum wage comes into force will be 18 not 22. To be honest the fact that it is 22 is rather appualing in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think that will happen. When the minimum wage was first proposed business bosses and the Tories predicted catastrophic rises on unemployment levels. It all turned out to be scare mongering and empty threats- some greedy bastards simply didn't want to part with some of their profits to give employees a decent salary.
  • Options
    Definatly, the only reason big business opposes this because they want to grab all the money they can. Sometimes I think that big companies don't care about their employees.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Sometimes I think that big companies don't care about their employees.
    Understatement of the century!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Understatement of the century!

Fine then they don't care about their employees. I should know, I have worked part time for Tesco and WHSmith (the latter cut staff discount in half just before i left, surely staff discount wasn't the main reason the company was losing money :mad:)
  • Options
    If you are in full time education you don't, theres some forms you can fill out. Ask your boss.
  • Options
    Consider what employees are referred to in the corporate ethos, "human resources". The subtle dehumanising aspect of that classification alone underscores the utilitarian, means to and end (or to the bottom line as the case may be) mentality that pervades the corporate world.

People are people, resources are things. Until that distinction is restored to our Western societal way of thinking, people will continue to be regarded as nothing more than units of production to fuel the presumed limitless profit of the elite few.
  • Options
    P45, yes that rings a bell. I had to ask to fill one in.
  • Options
    You have to pay tax if you earn more than approx £4, 500 a year. Doesn't matter if you are a student or not.
  • Options
    I would never have earned that doing just a Sunday job (at £4.40 then later £4.90 an hour) so why was i taxed?
  • Options
    Sometimes you get emergency tax, which you can get back at a later date.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    You have to pay tax if you earn more than approx £4, 500 a year. Doesn't matter if you are a student or not.

The voice of reason! I tire of hearing students say they don't have to pay tax because they're a student. You flipping well have to pay tax regardless of educational status.
  • Options
    I would never have earned that doing just a Sunday job (at £4.40 then later £4.90 an hour) so why was i taxed?

You obviously didn't fill in the correct form in order to get your true tax code. You were probably working on emergency tax the whole time you were there. Ring your tax office and find out if you're entitled to anything back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    You obviously didn't fill in the correct form in order to get your true tax code. You were probably working on emergency tax the whole time you were there. Ring your tax office and find out if you're entitled to anything back.

I was only taxed the first couple of months, I have what I lost back now. Only cos i went and filled out a P45.

Students shouldnt pay tax! I know people who have barely enough to live on and are having to get jobs. We are already going to have to get £1000's of debt without the government prying more money out of us at this stage. Students can pay enough tax back after getting full time work after a degree.
  • Options
    The point is: that if you are only working part time, it's unlikely students will earn over the taxable amount. In any case, the first £4, 500 is tax free.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    The point is: that if you are only working part time, it's unlikely students will earn over the taxable amount. In any case, the first £4, 500 is tax free.

Point well noted. I got no explination of what this tax was though when i was charged it.
  • Options
    erk, first time I read that it was 'TUC urging 50p minimum wage.' I was outraged. Though I think it's about time there was an increase in the basic minimum wage.
  • Options
    Students shouldnt pay tax! I know people who have barely enough to live on and are having to get jobs. We are already going to have to get £1000's of debt without the government prying more money out of us at this stage. Students can pay enough tax back after getting full time work after a degree.

Why shouldn't they pay tax? Aren't they getting a highly subsidised education? And how do you know they'll get a job that pays enough tax to cover what they may have paid whilst studying? I know of a whole host of graduates earning less that I do because they can't get a 'graduate' job. I know of several graduates, including my cousin, who can't get a job full stop. So he's taken, taken, taken, but isn't giving back. Doesn't seem right to me somehow.

And for the record, I am currently studying for a degree.
  • Options
    They shouldn't pay tax because they don't have jobs, you wouldn't make someone on benefit pay tax (unless I'm horribly missing the point somewhere) so why would you make students?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    They shouldn't pay tax because they don't have jobs, you wouldn't make someone on benefit pay tax (unless I'm horribly missing the point somewhere) so why would you make students?

Erm. I'm talking about students with jobs who earn enough to pay tax. I'm sure there aren't very many who do, but I'm sure some do.
  • Options
    Erm. I'm talking about students with jobs who earn enough to pay tax. I'm sure there aren't very many who do, but I'm sure some do.

Don't they pay tax anyway? If you can find a job that pays enough, and have enough time to spend earning with that job, you're not doing enough work or a degree that means anything. Harsh but true.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Don't they pay tax anyway? If you can find a job that pays enough, and have enough time to spend earning with that job, you're not doing enough work or a degree that means anything. Harsh but true.

Yes, they do.

Renzo said:
    Students shouldnt pay tax!
    And I was simply arguing that yes, if they earn over the threshold they should pay tax, then I gave my reasons.

I don't think you've followed this very well Fiend! :p
  • Options

like ones who stripl their way through ;)
  • Options
  • Options

I don't think you've followed this very well Fiend! :p

Sorry... :blush: I'm quite tired. Carry on.
  • Options
    If you pay income tax it's because you have a job.

Being a student has nothing to do with it to the best of my knowledge.

People who are skint can get help in the form of income support or housing benefits or something like that. But there should be no difference in tax breaks or benefits allowed to students or to 50 year old workers. It's the economic circumstances that should determine who pays tax.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Tax is not something I begrudge, as it pays my own wage *boggles*

Lol, same here. I hate paying tax, I might even moan about the amount of tax I pay, but at the end of the day I'm being paid from the taxes people pay, so don't moan with any degree of seriousness.