Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how much does the M.A.P cost

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when you have to pay for it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whats a M.A.P?
    morning after pill
    Oh, right, cant you get it free on script?
    Either that or you could phone your local Boots or Super Drug and ask them.

Phone numbers for that could be gained from www.yell.co.uk
    im over 18 and not on benefits so have to pay, i think...
    On prescription from your doctor or drop-in clinic it is free.

From a chemist non-script, you'd be looking at about £15-£20.
    NHS direct are probably the best people to talk to. If not you're looking at about £25 in boots.
    For the record, if you are wanting to take the MAP you are far better off popping in to your local hospital's drop-in centre, or visiting your GP surgery and talking to a nurse there.

It's an awful lot of money in a chemist.
    so even if ur supposed to pay for prescrips that will be free yeh? thank you you guys are fookin life savers :)
    Contraception is always free, The Pill certainly is and you can get condoms too I think.
    First time I took it I bought it over the counter and it was £24.

Second time (in the same week!) I went to the doctor and got it free on prescription. I wasn't going to pay that much again, plus I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fuck my body up too much by taking it twice in a week.

And no, I wasn't being careless, just very unfortunate with condoms!

Contraception is indeed always free in the UK, even if you pay for your other prescriptions.

Then again, the cost shouldn't really deter you - a baby costs a lot more, after all!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    First time I took it I bought it over the counter and it was £24.

Second time (in the same week!) I went to the doctor and got it free on prescription. I wasn't going to pay that much again, plus I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fuck my body up too much by taking it twice in a week.

And no, I wasn't being careless, just very unfortunate with condoms!

Contraception is indeed always free in the UK, even if you pay for your other prescriptions.

Then again, the cost shouldn't really deter you - a baby costs a lot more, after all!

I had to pay £24 too. It broke my heart! If it wasn't that I was not near my local doctor I wouldn't have bought it over the counter. Ah well, you live and learn. I learnt to try and remember what day it is properly :|
    I was shocked to find out how expensive it was - when you just walk into a chemist - though someone said that they got it free from safeways once.

x
    You can get the morning after pill for free from rather a lot of pharmacies in my area. They will display a sign. All you have to do is ask to speak privately with the pharmacist and you can be given it for free as long as that particular branch is taking part in the scheme.

some areas have schemes where you can get them free from certain pharmacies, so check with your local family planning clinic or call Sexwise (0800 28 29 30), or the fpa's Contraceptive Education Service helpline (0845 310 1334) or NHS Direct, in England and Wales (0845 46 47) for more information on where to get emergency contraception on the NHS.
    Ive bought it from Boots before and it was £20! didnt like having to pay that much but its sometimes easier to get than trying to book an emergancy appointment at Drs.
    £24.

I've had it for free from my doctor before, and i also took part in the scheme which gives you it for free :D Pain in the backside though, especially as it was a 'forgot to take my pill... AND the condom broke' moment!
    well got mine off our nurse at the docs(she deals with contraception) and its lucky that my pharmacy only gives out appointemnts at the beginning of each day, for that day(except for routine stuff obviously) glad to know its free, it wasnt that i was put off buying it coz of the cost, it was just knowing how much cash i would need to beg/borrow/steal(lol)

I had it once when i was 16 and went to get it again about 3 months ago but after telling the doc i had only stopped my pill 8 days ago he just told me to take two pills for two days, which i did but then i had lied and hadnt actually took my pill for weeks so i suppose should ahve told him i would feel better having the m.a.p. Maybe he was testing my intelligence :s as i really ahve never heard of this, in fact i am gonna post about it...

dont plan to use it again as i hate sitting there thinking "gosh am i sounding dumb?" makes it even worse that i took my 1 year old boy along with me, now can you say "stupid teenage mum does it again" lol
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone

That is not the point though, in my opinion. Lots of people cannot afford/just dont have £24, especially considering they would have to get the money in a short space of time.

I really dont think we should have to pay for this kind of thing. I suppose they think if it was free people would abuse the system and not bother with condoms etc because they could just nip down to the shop and get the MAP for free. But its not fair...the government witter on and on about teenage pregnancy being on the rise, yet they dont make things like this more accessible to young people.

On a similar note...i dont think we should have to pay for tampons and towels either, or at least not as much. Okay, so the businesses/manufacturers need to make money, but they are so damn expensive yet essential. Its a sellers market...grr.