Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Writing to Teachers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what your view is about this really? Anyone ever wirtten to teachers/maintained friendships with them? We've been discussing this informally at school and the general consensus is if you're happy and the teacher doesn't over step the mark then what is the problem? As long as you can remain professional in school then there is no problem (we're talkng friendships- NOT relationships)
We're sixth form students and so are encouraged to maintain good comuunication between teachers...

what does everyone think??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am a trainee teacher and there are a whole host of guidelines that we have to follow about 11-16ya pupils. There is nothing wrong with a professional relationship (chat in school etc.) but a personal relationship is probably not a good idea. Although a friendship is not forbidden it does put a teacher in a potentially vunerable place. This is why personal friendships (out of school) are uncommon outside of school.
    Because there is no personal relationship whilst in school i think friendships are rare once a pupil has left.

However i know from experience that teachers are always really pleased to catch up with old pupils to see how they have got on.

16+ education teachers in my experience are different because of the informal atmosphere and the age of the pupils. Friendships are common and i myself still speak to a few of my A-level lecturers.
    i'm in year 13 and certainly will continue friendships with some of my teachers.
    Don't see why not tbh.
    Originally posted by capetownsun
    16+ education teachers in my experience are different because of the informal atmosphere and the age of the pupils. Friendships are common and i myself still speak to a few of my A-level lecturers.
    When I was at sixth form there was one teacher in particular who used to arrange to meet his GNVQ Business Studies class in the Bigg Market in Newcastle on a Saturday night. We were 17/18 and he was only 23 himself... same generation.

He doesn't work at the school anymore. He was sacked for shagging a student. :rolleyes:
    With about one exception I wouldn't mourn the loss of any of my teachers at school.
    Re: Writing to Teachers

After leaving college, I started looking for a job. I asked my A Level English Literature lecturer to provide me with a reference. He did! Other than that, I don't keep in touch with any teachers or lecturers.
    What about writing to teachers? Like exchanging one letter (at school- not through home addresses) once every 1/2 term?
    capetownsun

(or others?) what are the guidlines for 6th form students (within a 11-19 secondary school) then? Are there any?
    Originally posted by notebookkt
    What about writing to teachers? Like exchanging one letter (at school- not through home addresses) once every 1/2 term?

I emailed one of my three A-Level English Literature teachers when I left sixth form. I think maybe three times at the most. He replied each time but to be honest he wasn't my fave teacher - I was only emailing him because I missed school etc.

After about three months I gave up on it because I'd moved on. Writing seems an ok thing to do, I suppose, but you'll probably find it doesn't last very long.
    I am training for 11-16 education so i don't know the guidelines for post 16+. I don't think there is a problem with writing to a teacher...most teachers will happily provide references but some teachers may be wary of writing personally to you even if you left school years ago.
    Two of my teachers, Mr P and Mr V were going to come to a summer LAN (computer games) party with us. Unfortunately it was never held... so we might do it at Christmas

But they were going to stay over and everything

Technically there is nothing wrong with it, seen as we had all left school

Shame it didn't happen :(.... they were top guys
    I see my old chemistry teacher 2-3 times a week down my local. Took a while for me to stop calling him 'sir' though.
    Originally posted by SandboxMagician
    I see my old chemistry teacher 2-3 times a week down my local. Took a while for me to stop calling him 'sir' though.

Yeah, my old RE teacher is a patient at work and I always want to say 'just have a seat Sir'!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I used to write to my old maths teacher and when I go home I normally make a point of seeing her and my music teacher. With my maths teacher I knew her before starting High School so maybe that is different but I hd never met my music teacher before. If I meet her in the street she always gives me a cuddle and is forever asking after me whenever she mets my folks.

I don't see whats wrong with it so if you feel close enough to your teacher then I don't see why you shouldnt write to him/her.
    oh dear....

Well; I went ahead and wrote a letter- stuck it in the internal mail system at school on thursday and broke up for 1/2 term on friday. Have heard nothing :( Little bit worried now about going back on monday!!!

I must be loopy:rolleyes:
    letters

It's fine and even admirable wanting to be friends with your teacher as long as you know where the boundaries lie.

I would say and I don't know what the trainee schoolteacher thinks about this that writing a letter to your teacher when you are still having regular school contact with them is not appropriate, even emailing them is not appropriate when if you really want some time to talk to your teacher you can do it face to face. Just catch them at the end of a lesson and say you need 10 mins to talk with them. I realise you may be close to your teacher, but it's important not to become over-dependent - they are the professional without wanting to sound patronisng - you are the child/pupil. Instead of being selfish, try and think of your teacher and teh difficult position you may be putting them in by writing letters to them, even if they are totally innocent. Use your brain in this situation and best of luck.
    Hi ya!

Well strangely things turned out very well. Dropped in to see her at the end of school and she said she really liked my nice letter and was looking forward to replying! I'm pleased and think it might be because she no longer teaches me and being in 6th form the rules are relaxed.

Thanks for your advice mazzza have listened and took notice ;)