Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Unions for bar work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody know of any unions that support people working in bars?

Some dodgy goings on where my mate and I work & we wanna know if there's any way to protect ourselves.

Comments

• Options
    You dont need to be part of a union, but there will deffo be one around. If they are breaking the law, and you care, then go tell the council. What exactly are they doing? If its a bar im guessing it will be the shity "service industry hours" thing???

Bopz
  • Options
    You know, I was just talking about that with a mate from work about that. Our night club is run by a big company that owns other different named bars and restaurants in this big arena.

Anyways, he ran into a bit of bad luck last week as he was working in this other place that is run by the same company as a bar tender. He asked one of the assistant managers for change in his till. That was fair enough. Now, I'm not sure of the full details. But it was bascially done, that she took money out of his till to get change. But she didn't replace the money with smaller notes and change; and so the till was shortened round a 100quid. When the till was getting counted up. Some supervisor confronted him and two other people he was working with, asking about the missing money and when he tried to explain were the money could have went. They bascially told him, this other girl that was suppose to sort out his change has already went home. Haven't seen her since as she has called in sick a couple times. So now they have told him, that the money is going to be taken out of his and the other two peoples' wages. That's 30 odd quid.

Obviously he was ragen and is thinking about introducing a union to the staff. I told him I was all for it. Cause I feel with me being young the managers seem to take advantage of that. Thinking I don't know any better and whatever they say I will always believe they're are right. (Basically that is true, as I can be sooo niave at times) But with a union at least I know I can check up what my rights are and they won't take advantage of me all the time.

Don't know what the union is called. I forget. But will ask him on Saturday.

ETA: Jus realising this is over 10 days old. Sorry if I'm too late, etc.