Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Doing too much?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm worried about one of my best pals. I have nothing against her doing drugs. She used to just smoke a joint now and then. Then she did a hell of alot of drugs at a festival I went to with her. Now she uses weed daily-and got so mashed on cakes one night that she took 7 hours to get over the effects.

I'm just worried as she spends so much of her free time now on drugs that its interfering with her work-fair enough on the weekend and when she was only smoking weed.

Now she is doing other drugs such as mushrooms and drinking a lot too. I know her ex was dead against drugs so she was but now her newish chap is into them and she is.

What should I do-I am not gonna patronise her by saying she is out of control as she will think she can handle it-she also freely talks about how much she does and brags about the stupid and dangerous thing she has done. I'm just worried its gonna get worse and she will get in trouble!

So anything I should do? Or should I mind my own bloody business as she is a big girl and able to make her own choices?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Theres so many of these type of posts on here, you can't really do much to help her unless she wants to help herself.
    She's only doing drugs, you may think it's too much too often but many people are like this, most weed smokers smoke everyday to be honest. Mushrooms aren't a drug that is going to mangle you compleltly in the long term unless your doing them every week flat out.
    Maybe even talk to her or something.Tell her how you feel.
    i've been that person and much worse ...much worse.
    i had a great time mostly, living an alternative lifestyle and came out of it eventualy in very good shape.\
    life becomes a party. problems become challenges or just get ignored completely.
    you become totaly unproductive.
    you don't realy care very much.
    you think you care but ...when it comes down to the nitty gritty ...your going to hold on to this bohemian lifestyle even if it means loosing freinds ...but you still think you care.
    people ...me included can tell you all about why taking drugs is NOT a way of escaping reality because your week.
    but ...when you live that way everyday ...to the detriment of work family freinds personal safety ...ambition ...whats the point in ambition ? when thats where you are then you are escaping ...have ...escaped from most responsibility.
    more importantly you have escaped emotionaly physicaly and spiritualy from what it feels like not to have drugs in youre system.
    it's the ultimate escape because you don't believe you have!
    the vast majority of people get bored with it all and realise ...they can't pay the rent and buy a lump of weed ...
    they have been living like slobs for ...for how long!
    most people come out of it completely unscathed.
    try to not get dragged into it all ...distance yourself somewhat but ...try to be a true freind.
    if she hasn't even bothered visiting you for however long and then turns up in tears ...be her freind still ...being their for people ...should be the most important rule on the planet.
    don't worry to much.
    Thanks guys. I'll tell her I;m worried sat and see what her view is and then say I'll always be there for her so she knows I;m not just being a busybody!

Roll-I think that kinda sums her up right now so its like you know her!
    Theres not a great deal you can do other than express your concern and offer assistance if she needs it.
    Originally posted by Jowolvo

its like you know her!
    in a way i do ...
    In a way most people on the drugs board do.
    aw!

Anyways 'lllet ya know what I say and how she reacts! She prob will be upset that I am worried at a guess! Will let you know sometime sun/mon if I remember that is!
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    if I remember that is!
    please remember.
    At college, I had a mate called Alan. He smoked cannabis all the time. Privately, I objected, but in public, I was saying nothing. The man was constantly high on something or other. I'm convinced the guy was becoming schizophrenic, thanks to that ghastly substance.

* Odd that the moderators haven't posted some links to articles about drug use on this thread.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    * Odd that the moderators haven't posted some links to articles about drug use on this thread.

Why is that odd?

Jowolvo, my suggestion would be to show her TheSite, the more information she has, the more she may think about what she is doing and the less harm she is likely to do to herself...
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    At college, I had a mate called Alan. He smoked cannabis all the time. Privately, I objected, but in public, I was saying nothing. The man was constantly high on something or other. I'm convinced the guy was becoming schizophrenic, thanks to that ghastly substance.

Actually if you had read any of the research surrounding cannabis and mental health you would know that the link is yet to be proven and is at present on a correlation.

However, having said that, those with mental health issues should quite probably avoid hallucinogens.
    Originally posted by LadyJade

Jowolvo, my suggestion would be to show her TheSite, the more information she has, the more she may think about what she is doing and the less harm she is likely to do to herself...

Good plan - here are some specific links that might help:

Cannabis

Magic mushrooms

Although these would probably be more helpful to her as she's already using drungs:

reducing teh risks

Mixing drugs

Why not print the ones our that you think apply to her and subtely suggest she gives them a read? At least she'll know that you care - gotta say she's lucky to have such a caring mate.
    There is no such thing as too little
    There is such a thing as enough
    And there will always be a thing as too much

However, it works with everything. The best way is to find moderation, if anything. Ganja usually isn't addictive, but it can become a bad habit if left out of control. Acid can get bad soemtimes, especially when one thinks they can fly. Thats when you know it's over the top.

There is a cause and effect to everything, everything has a concequence or a reward. Unfortunatley you can't be to sure which it is untill too late. just remember to be mindful of how much you consume or ingest or inhale. Either which way. Be mindful. Take it slow and easy, don't feel rushed with anything.

Always keep in mind the ultra negative concequnce: getting caught. There can be nothing more humiliating the first time one gets busted. So remember if and when your gonna do it, remember to do it in a safe controlled area, hopefully one that can effect positivley on the high or trip.

Above all, keep your mind. Don't get stuck in the sky when your high. You might not know when to come down from the clouds.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
    I still haven't told her straight out-I chickened out! Tut tut I know! but i will email her the link to this place-good suggestion! Thanks!
    Here's a good link to more info on drugs.
    http://www.erowid.org/
    enjoy.