Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tramadol hydrochloride

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, through Googling I've worked out a basic knowledge of how this works, but what I've been unable to determine is any pros and cons against say, something like Co-dydramol, or whether it's likely to be more effective. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Tramadol hydrochloride
    Originally posted by Miffy
    OK, through Googling I've worked out a basic knowledge of how this works, but what I've been unable to determine is any pros and cons against say, something like Co-dydramol, or whether it's likely to be more effective. Can anyone help? (I'm guessing if anyone can it'll probably be you, Bong.)
    i have tramadol ...synthetic opiate i think.
    very strong painkiller.
    if you take on an empty stomach can be very unpleasant.
    if you take late at night can keep you awake.
    can ruin your appetite.
    all in all a good painkiller if used correctly.
    Not the best bet for someone with digestive system problems then?

What exactly does it do if you take it on an empty stomach?
    Not the best bet for someone with digestive system problems then?

What exactly does it do if you take it on an empty stomach?
    i know people with digestive problems who take it wih no problem.
    not sure why but if you take it on an empty stomach you feel very sick ...may well be sick ...opiate type side effect.
    plus it can space you out rapidly on an empty stomach.
    some people take three or four for the buzz.
    Does it have addiction potential? Google can't seem to decide on this one.
    Does it have addiction potential? Google can't seem to decide on this one.
    i think probably as do most strong painkillers. but taking opiates and the like very rarely leads to addiction.
    whats it for if you mind me asking?
    Spinal injury.
    Spinal injury.
    mines for spine. my last reply shuld have said not many people become addicted to opiates ...when using them medicinaly.
    tramadol is good but ...in my experience not for long.
    that might just be me.
    my back doesn't trouble me on a daily basis ...but when it does i can hardly move.
    out come the tramadol and valium ...i also have morphine sulphate ...a months supply lasts me a couple of years as i realy don't like them.
    but ...cannabis is the best for me.
    it doesn't work like a pain killer though ...i have to smoke for a couple/three days before the painkilling properties kick in but excellent when it does ...and of course i love the side effects.
    tramadol ...very common in spinal pain.
    tramadol is good but ...in my experience not for long.

It's not just you.

It's a real problem Rolly. He's thinking about a fusion... but it's a big decision as there's so much to go wrong.
    It's not just you.

It's a real problem Rolly. He's thinking about a fusion... but it's a big decision as there's so much to go wrong.
    oh 'eck!
    i considered a fusion but was told the odds were fifty fifty ...not of sucsess but fifty fifty wether or not i'd end up worse ... with odds like that i gave it a miss.
    about 6months ago i had two injections ...not cortisone ...can't remember what the hell it was now but ...hardly felt a thing for six months ...brilliant but ...i was warned by the doc not to get carried away with the lack of pain as i would be accelerating the wear and tear.
    i know a joiner who had the fusion job ...he's been off work for quite a few years ...had the op ...was back at work within months and hasn't looked back ...for about 8 years by now so yes it can be good.
    this may sound like an old wives tale but i do it and believe in it.
    the latest findings say that virgin olive oil is a natural anti inflamotry as well as being amazing for the blood the hair the eyes the bones the circulation the stomach ...and on it goes.
    i have ten mills every morning. washed down with a swig of milk or juice.
    Problem is it's not an anti inflamatory he needs because he's actually fractured it, and nothing seems to control the pain very well now. He was told he wouldn't walk again at the time but he's the kind of person who, the best way to make him do something is to tell him he couldn't possibly do it!! But I think he's getting to the point now where he feels he might not have much to lose by taking a chance on the fusion.
    Problem is it's not an anti inflamatory he needs because he's actually fractured it, and nothing seems to control the pain very well now. He was told he wouldn't walk again at the time but he's the kind of person who, the best way to make him do something is to tell him he couldn't possibly do it!! But I think he's getting to the point now where he feels he might not have much to lose by taking a chance on the fusion.
    yeah sounds far more serious than mine.
    maybe the fusion is the way to go.
    in the meantime ...how about asking his doc for MST ...morphine sulphate time release tablets?
    swallow one and it slowly releases over a twelve hour period. it says don't chew ...as this would negate the time release factor ...so on the advice of my doc ...i chewed one and swallowed one. that way you get pain relief within about 20mins that keeps on going for twelve hours ...same again later.
    morphine for medicinal use is relatively addiction free.
    but it does make you constipated ...take lax ...does make you feel a bit sicky first couple of days but ok after that.
    That sounds like it might be worth a try, the only thing is it sounds kind of like the end of the line, painkillerwise, so he might not want to go there until he really has to. I really don't know what the answer is, but thanks anyway Rolly. :thumb:

ETA: You siad you really don't like them, why is that?
    That sounds like it might be worth a try, the only thing is it sounds kind of like the end of the line, painkillerwise, so he might not want to go there until he really has to. I really don't know what the answer is, but thanks anyway Rolly. :thumb:

ETA: You siad you really don't like them, why is that?
    as an ex addict i realy don't want to be taking morphine.
    about seven years ago i spent a week in hospital with my back. morphine numerous times a day.
    on the fourth day i refused anymore.
    i was put under pressure to carry on with it but refused ...stepped down to tramadol.
    when asked why ...my reply was simple ...i was likeing it too much!
    no one else on the ward had any problems with it.
    but i am an addict when it comes to raw opiates.
    it is in a way a last step. but it is worth a try.
    if he's not junkie minded like me he should be fine.
    my disliking it comes from my liking it ...does that make sense?
    has he talked to the doc about cortisone injections or whatever the injections were that i had?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    as an ex addict i realy don't want to be taking morphine.
    i am an addict when it comes to raw opiates.

Oh, sorry lol, that was dumb of me. I thought it might be side effects or something.
    has he talked to the doc about cortisone injections or whatever the injections were that i had?

No... I don't know if that would do anything for his problem.. it seems unlikely somehow.
    I thought it might be side effects or something.

you thought correctly there then!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    you thought correctly there then!

Er, yeah, but you know what I meant!!!
    Mr Miffy says it took him nearly ten years to get tramadol out of them, can you imagine their faces when he rolls up and asks for morphine?!

Also, does it space you out at all? Or make you drowsy? Or does it just make the pain go away??
    Mr Miffy says it took him nearly ten years to get tramadol out of them, can you imagine their faces when he rolls up and asks for morphine?!

Also, does it space you out at all? Or make you drowsy? Or does it just make the pain go away??
    first couple of days on it can make you a bit sleepy ...weekend and a comfy chair.
    by monday you feel pretty much normal and relatively pain free. you then have to keep it up ...after a time of your choosing give it a miss for ...you'll surprise yourself but ...when it comes back which it always will ...you'll want to start again.
    if after a two week period on it you find life has seriously improved ...drop it for a while ...
    the downside if your like me ...morphine is much closer to opium than heroin.
    morpheus ...the god of sleep.
    also a god of eternal youth.
    the morphine arrives in your brain and makes you feel a little laid back ...the aches and pains subside and you drift into another world for around three seconds ...a whole civilisation has grown and died in that three seconds of nodding off. you drift off again ...for a few seconds ...you have lived with angels and headless men for twenty years ...to those around you ...you merely closed your eyes for a few seconds. fantastic!

on prescribed MST for a medical condition ...you will get an insightinto this bit the first couple of times you take it and fall asleep for the evening or a nap.
    you'd be surprised how much mst IS PREOOPS ...PRESCRIBED FOR SPINAL PAIN. OOPS AGAIN. and a gain.
    I've had some experience with taramadol and my dad was on it for an extended period because of his hip problems.

It can be a bit rough on the stomach, it should always be taken with milk at least.

And if taken for long periods can give you an ulcer and a few other problems.

However, having said that it is an effective pain killer and is virtually completely safe if used correctly.

Somewhere between 50-150mg is the normal dose, though 150mg is the very top end.

It is sort of an opiate, but not, its an odd one really because its sort of an NSAI as well, as in its similar in effect to ibruprofen.

You may also want to try voltarol, its technically one step down from taramadol, but personally I found it just as good at killing pain without the stomach upset.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    It can be a bit rough on the stomach, it should always be taken with milk at least.

And if taken for long periods can give you an ulcer and a few other problems.

Argh, I feel like screaming. :( He already has an ulcer and undiagnosed stomach problems (which predate the tramadol by a long time).
    You may also want to try voltarol, its technically one step down from taramadol, but personally I found it just as good at killing pain without the stomach upset.

That might be worth a go... thanks for the info.
    I just know that ulcers can develop after longer term use. But that in no way really means he will get one. Its used long term because there is little to no tolerance effect and its not seen as an addictive drug.

I presume his GP knows he has the ulcer, and therefore he would have taken that into account.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Miffy, I don't know if you are interested, but there is a website called BackCare - BackCare is a charity registered as the National Back Pain Association. It helps people manage and prevent back pain by providing advice, promoting self-help, encouraging debate and funding scientific research into better back care. They may have some information on treatments etc...

I found that through this website, in a section on dealing with chronic pain, that may also be of interest.
    I most certainly am interested Lady Jade, thank you very much.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Glad I could help :)
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I presume his GP knows he has the ulcer, and therefore he would have taken that into account.

Tbh I have very little faith in them considering some of the things they have done/failed to do in the past.

Lady Jade, thank you again for those links, I've just found one in there for Coventry Pain Clinic which I've been trying to find for a while now. Sounds like this is exactly the man we need to see.
    hope you get somewhere miffy.
    all the best to mr miffy.
    Thank you.