Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

limits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how many of normal pain killers can i take before i OD?

i've got 400mg of ibuprofen and 600 mg

as well as panadol stuff.

i'm asking this because i'm in huge ammounts of pain, and i can't seem to get rid of the pain, so i'm trying to take pain killers without ODing......

thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: limits
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    how many of normal pain killers can i take before i OD?

i've got 400mg of ibuprofen and 600 mg

as well as panadol stuff.

i'm asking this because i'm in huge ammounts of pain, and i can't seem to get rid of the pain, so i'm trying to take pain killers without ODing......

thanks
    answer me.
    i don't have long left on this stool.
    Doesn't it say on the box what the required dosage is? :)
    I think it has to vary from what different peoples bodies are like, as some people can take more before they od then others surely?
    Originally posted by confuciooos
    Doesn't it say on the box what the required dosage is? :)

no!
    Well take one and see how you feel with the pain and then just eat them as you think you need to, the still uring pain there, you probably wouldn't od..i'd say you'd have to neck quite alot to get that far.
    Or maybe not. I don't have a fucking clue and i wouldn't take any drugs i didn't have a clue about.
    Bongbudda will probably know about this.
    Ibruprofen has a relatively high OD limit, however, it really wont do you any good in terms of your health and in terms of its pain killing power. It just isnt really dose related like that. 400mg isnt going to stop twice the pain of 200mg.

If you are in a lot of pain then I would suggest that you try taking a mixture of pain killers, paracetamol can be mixed with ibruprofen, and you can also take codine at the same time. However, this really isnt to be done all that often and if you are in serious pain then you should discuss it with your GP.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    if you are in serious pain then you should discuss it with your GP.

I cannot stress how true this is. Taking cocktails of different painkillers without any guidance is NOT a good idea - and if you really are in that much pain you should be getting advice from your doctor anyway. Take the recommended amount for a day or so, and if your pain is persisting, your GP should give you some options on what else you can do.

Take care
    i desided to stay away from taking anymore than 2 because of my history of ODing on painkillers. still bloody well hurts though. going to the docs next monday, thats as soon as i can get an appointment. in the mean time, i shall just have to suffer. :(
    What kinda pain is it?
    it's an all over sickening-but not like your going to be sick- hunger. i feel really empty. void like.
    it's an all over sickening-but not like your going to be sick- hunger. i feel really empty. void like.

you need exercise, go out and run or something, strectch your muscles or just get wasted and block the pain or spomething, i don't give a fuck, do what ya want.
    Originally posted by turlough
    you need exercise, go out and run or something, strectch your muscles or just get wasted and block the pain or spomething, i don't give a fuck, do what ya want.

if you don't give a fuck then why post?
    if you don't give a fuck then why post?
    thanks TT for that insight via your little essay ...i have replied.
    be strong.
    stay free.
    Turlough
    you need exercise, go out and run or something, strectch your muscles or just get wasted and block the pain or something, i don't give a fuck, do what ya want.

The first part of that statement could actually be very helpful, excercise may help the way you are feeling trin (lubby), it has very real medical benefits in terms of endorphin and serotonin production and motivation far beyond many common drugs prescribed for depression, with none of the well documented side effects (not that i pretend to understand your individual position). And i'll back that up because thats what made me feel better recover from my period of bad depression.

Turlough; you're an intelligent lad, but you could really be a little more empathetic and tollerant. Not everyone can be best served with a slap around the face and a 'pull-youself-together' :no:
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    Turlough

Turlough; you're an intelligent lad, but you could really be a little more empathetic and tollerant. Not everyone can be best served with a slap around the face and a 'pull-youself-together' :no:
    i keep trying to tell him!
    what do i keep saying turlough?
    every time you drink that moonshine ya start falling over and upsetting people ...stick to the drugs.
    Hmm, Martin, is exercise linked directly to serotonin production? I know it releases endorphins and is likely to improve mood. But is there a direct link. Isn't it more of a round about route? In that you feel better, sleep better and therefore are more happy?

Plus of course there is the theory that serotonin is really only one of the many 'happiness' chemicals in the brain and to work exclusively on that is only working on one angle.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Hmm, Martin, is exercise linked directly to serotonin production? I know it releases endorphins and is likely to improve mood. But is there a direct link. Isn't it more of a round about route? In that you feel better, sleep better and therefore are more happy?

Plus of course there is the theory that serotonin is really only one of the many 'happiness' chemicals in the brain and to work exclusively on that is only working on one angle.

Yes with that whole theory rammed into our heads with the development of SSRI's and MAOI's.

If it is truly physical pain, I agree with bongbudda; use paracetamol. Very little side effects and it takes quite a bit to OD. I have a semi-old bottle of London drugs: Acetaminophen(Paracetamol), Caffine, and Coedine.
    If it's very painful see your GP on prescribing Vicodin or Oxycodone (if it is extremely severe). Those are basically paracetamol with a kick of a synthetic opiate. If that doesn't take away your pain, I really don't have any other legal suggestions.
    Do they prescribe oxycodone here then?
    as i understand it there is a link definate link between the production of Serotonin and exercise.

The implications for your mood are more complex and i do not pretend to even begin to understand the debates on this. However there is a certain consensus that it is ONE (as you say) of the many factors associated with mood.
    I met an interesting woman doing research on the dopamine receptor a while back. Turns out that tobacco stimulates it, something which wasnt known untill very recently.

I think dopamine is somewhat over looked in terms of depression and bad mood. Given its role in movement and pleasure this seems strange to me.

And of course there could be the issue of neuroadrenaline, depressives dont get excited, could this be a lack of the above?