Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

music and quals?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i thought it would be a good idea to get some GCSEs as well as goingt o music college. so, i've called edexcel, and they have told me that almost all of their courses are heavily based on coursework, which needs to be marked by a center, or set by a center-neither of which can i do.

so, i'm trying CIE to see if i can do them through their board. but it's all very difficult

would i still be able to get work in the UK without GCSEs or any other formal quals apart from music grades?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    depends what kind of work. i imagine for most things they'd require the equivalent of 5 GCSEs including maths and english, but they wouldn't have to be actual GCSEs if you've lived abroad.

find out if there are any maths/english equivalency tests you can take.
    oooh! i'm at music college!! what do you play? where abouts are you going? ooooh yay! another music geek!!
    You never fail to fascinate me, Lizzy.
    :blush:
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    depends what kind of work. i imagine for most things they'd require the equivalent of 5 GCSEs including maths and english, but they wouldn't have to be actual GCSEs if you've lived abroad.

find out if there are any maths/english equivalency tests you can take.

IGCSEs: exactly the same just without coursework.

sadsong: i sing, i write, play guitar and piano
    music grades are seen as really valuable by employers. they also count as points for UCAS :)

i'm a musician too