Home› Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

infertility

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've heard that long term sufferers of such things as candida and other simialr infections can become infertile within 2 year of having the infection. i've had candida for god knows how long which will not shift, not matter what i use, prescribed drugs, and other things that people have sugested.

i'm going to the doctors to have some tests done. one of them is an infertility test. how the hell would you react at being told you are infertil at the age of 15. i dread to think. i really do.

anyone heard of stuff like this or does any one have any useful advice they could give me?

thanks......

Comments

• Options
    Is there a reason for your long-standing candidiasis?

Diabetes can cause a persistent thrush. May be worth discussing with your GP. If you take a urine sample with you he can test it for you there and then. Just a thought.

Hope it goes OK :)
  • Options
    Re: infertility
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity

i'm going to the doctors to have some tests done. one of them is an infertility test. how the hell would you react at being told you are infertil at the age of 15. i dread to think. i really do.

If you wants kids then it's awful news...

But there's more to kids then being their biological daddy and there's so many unwanted kids in the world who need a parent, my grand mother adopted two girls and we couldn't imagine our family without them!!!
  • Options
    I've just had a good look at a few sites that have in depth info about candida and couldn't find any solid facts on it causing infirtility... hopefully that means iot's only a very small chance.
    It will be really hard for you to go through with an infirtility test at such a young age and I really hope it's good news. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    I suppose that the rampant spread of sexually transmitted infections and diseases just goes to show we must be careful who we sleep with. Still, I hope you get better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I suppose that the rampant spread of sexually transmitted infections and diseases just goes to show we must be careful who we sleep with. Still, I hope you get better.

Erm candida is a yeast infection and it is really common like thrush and other various forms of it, not a STI although if you have it you can pass it on to your partner thorugh sex It is a good idea not to have sex when you have symptoms, and maybe your partner should get some treatment if they have symptoms.
  • Options
    Originally posted by beans
    Erm candida is a yeast infection and it is really common like thrush and other various forms of it, not a STI although if you have it you can pass it on to your partner thorugh sex It is a good idea not to have sex when you have symptoms, and maybe your partner should get some treatment if they have symptoms.

I stand by my point. We must be careful who we sleep with. You never know what people have.
  • Options
    My mum had that, she didnt go to the doctor cause she said she knew what theyd say (she works in healthcare) she dealt with it by diet, (is avoiding suger and alcholol) theres lots of advice on the web about it isnt there, have you had agood look.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    They are running fertility tests on you? How comes? Because you are/have supposed to have been trying for a baby for over a long period of time say one year before they'll even considering running these tests.

because it's just standard course in spain. like as soon as you feel ill and it's not a really obvious thing like a cold they send you for a blood test. which is why i've had 3 this year all ready.

and because this is a long running thing and i asked about it, they said that they would look into it.

and i know that being someone's biological mum isn't everything, but still being told that you may not be able to have kids at my age might be pretty devestating. i don't know how i'll react to any of it.
  • Options

Hmmm. You can't tell someone has an STI by looking at them you know. Be careful to be protected when having sex may be a more appropriate philosophy...

thrush

STIs

Contraception

Susie :)
  • Options
    They are running fertility tests on you? How comes? Because you are/have supposed to have been trying for a baby for over a long period of time say one year before they'll even considering running these tests.

I thought that. Oh well. Hope it goes ok for you.
  • Options
    i was told @ 16 i wouldnt be able to have kids

that did suck

at least i know and wont spend years trying only to be completely frustrated and devasted then..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    Hmmm. You can't tell someone has an STI by looking at them you know. Be careful to be protected when having sex may be a more appropriate philosophy...

Susie, I stand by what I said. I was not implying that people can tell if someone has STIs by looking at them. I am merely commenting that people must be careful who they sleep with. Surely you cannot disagree with this?
  • Options
    Susie, I stand by what I said. I was not implying that people can tell if someone has STIs by looking at them. I am merely commenting that people must be careful who they sleep with. Surely you cannot disagree with this?

Sort of.

Until you have sex or come close to being in that mindset where you think "GOD! I need sex now with you", that's when common sense goes out the window. However, this goes for casual sex more than relationship sex.

If you're in a proper relationship and ARE really concious about ANY STIs etc, then I'd suggest having a chinwag about getting the standard STI tests done at your local FP/GUM clinic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    like as soon as you feel ill and it's not a really obvious thing like a cold they send you for a blood test. which is why i've had 3 this year all ready.

That isn't unusual at all, and is standard practice in the UK too.
  • Options
  • Options

Just admit you got the wrong end of the stick first time round.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Just admit you got the wrong end of the stick first time round.

Yes, I admit that may have been the case. But I stand by the point we can't jump into bed with every single person we meet.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

not necessarily. my friend who was 18 at the time (and had no plans for children anytime in the near future) had to have fertility tests as she had chlamydia that went unnoticed for so long. i think in cases of my friend, and twisted_trinity they do give out fertility tests.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Oh right. I don't know where I heard that. I just know the docs wont do it for me.

i think it depends if there was a serious medical condition involved or not. if there isn't then they won't do a series of tests for the sake of it. as luby has had problems in her vaginal area then i think they would do it as normal procedure.

at least, thats how i think it works.