Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Just a quick question..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know why anything that contains the word sex or relationship on my computer is highlighted either if ive wrote it, or someone else has posted something with these words in?
for example, in where ive got location Essex the sex bits higlighted.
i don't know if its a virus or something? :eek2:
anybody know what thats all about.
ive also just realised it highlights virus too :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SPYWEAR!

Go to www.lavasoft.de and download Ad-Aware.
    spywear :eek: ahh thankyou i haven't got a clue what that is though i keep gettingd pop ups about it :eek2:
    damn spyware and adware!!!
    i found out i got 463 different types of it on my computer, but nuthing will get rid of it! :/ not even adware.se
    but i dont wana re-format ma HDD, is it a good idea to go and buy 1 or not bother?
    atm i got like 3 differnt pop up controls on :s , but they still pop up wen u dont want them to.
    Originally posted by **sugar**
    spywear :eek: ahh thankyou i haven't got a clue what that is though i keep gettingd pop ups about it :eek2:

Programs (alot of the time self-installing without your permission) that keep tabs on the sites you visit and report them back to their company, opens pop-up adverts, highlights popular search terms like "sex" and turn them into links etc.

Very, very annoying.
    it could also be that you have just searched for those words and so it's highlighted them in the document.
    Originally posted by Gazza<3
    i found out i got 463 different types of it on my computer, but nuthing will get rid of it! :/ not even adware.se
    but i dont wana re-format ma HDD, is it a good idea to go and buy 1 or not bother?

try all the free ones first! hijackthis and spybot search and destroy are both good, as is adaware. i installed 5 different anti-spyware programmes and they all came up with different threats within my system.
    once you have removed all the spyware and dont want it to come back then i suggest you follow these instructions.

How to prevent Spyware from being installed in the first place

The majority of spyware comes from internet explorer, if you continue to use internet explorer and go on some dodgy websites by mistake then spyware could be installed without your knowledge.

If you want a way to stop the majority of spyware from being installed then use another internet browser thats not internet explorer.

Here are some ones to try.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

http://www.opera.com/
    Re: Just a quick question..

Highlights of the word "sex" and "relationship" must make using this website a total nightmare.
    Thanks, i downloaded ad aware and it took ages but still seem to have those words highlighted at the moment :eek2:
    think i'l have to run it again.

yes it is a nightmare on this website all the sex and relationships bits are highlighted!
    :rolleyes:
    thanx jake0 :)
    and **sugar** we wont ask wot websites u been looking at :p
    Suger, the three main tools are as follows:

1) Ad-aware @ www.lavasoft.de
    2) Spybot S&D @ www.safer-networking.org
    3) Spyware blaster @ www.javacoolsoftware.com

Ad-aware is on version 1.05. Grab that one and use the web update to bring it to the latest detection. Do likewise with Spybot to make it current. The 3rd program is more of a prevention. It plugs into IE and Mozilla and maintains a blacklist of web sites that are known to be dangerous.

Oh and Spywear is not something you wear because it's Spyware!
    Originally posted by Gazza<3
    thanx jake0 :)
    and **sugar** we wont ask wot websites u been looking at :p

The only websites i go on are The site and msn :eek2:
    the strange thing is my computer only just got everything wiped off of it about 2 weeks ago when it was fixed by the telewest man but as soon as we got it back thats when all the spy ware started happening!

anyway thankyou Mosserat for those websites i will give them all a go and see how i get on :D