Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does Anyone Have A Plan?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Jus wondering if anyone here has a plan about their work / career?

e.g. You're now 20 and plan to work for next 40 years and save then retire at 60

or work 6 months a year and travel 6 months a year, etc

Anyone have a master plan?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not a plan as such, more of a vague idea of what will probably happen. I know three years at uni for certain, then possibly further training/qualifications, a couple of years at work and then some time off while I have a baby or two :D progressing up the career ladder and earning as much money as possible in whatever I happen to be doing and early retirement too if possible!

I think life is too unpredicatable to really be able to plan these things though, I'm 18 and I can really only see the next few years, I don't know what job I'm going to have or how much money I'm going to earn, or what my other circumstances might be and of course these things will affect everything.
    I plan to leave the country as soon as I graduate.

I have about 5 or 6 different plans but all are basically escape routes leading to the same destination.
    I had the last 2 years planned but everything I tried never worked out so I don't make advanced time scale plans anymore. I'm more take everyday as it comes really now.

But, the only two that i'm totally decided on is having children from 25+ & owning a Porsche 911 Turbo so i'll need a job that pays mighty well if i'm not going to have to save for 10 odd years;)
    Not really, it just seems to fall into my lap every now and then. I bumble through life somewhat.
    I happen to have no idea whatsoever what I will do. I never really thought about careers. I've had suicidal thoughts for several years and am only beginning to kick them now, so I never thought about careers because I thought I wouldn't be here to have one. :crying:
    The way things are going at the minute with pension funds and all that we are all going to have to work until we are 70.

I plan to work up the ranks in the Merchant navy until I reach Chief Engineer. Then a few options are open to me:

1. I'd like to get into shipbuilding. Probably in a management capacity.
    2. I fancy getting involved in politics; I could become a local councillor.
    3. Get into ship preservation, become Chief Engineer of a paddlesteamer. Get onto telly lots. Become the next Fred Dibnah.
    i have no idea