Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Red marks on arms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
About a week ago when i came out of the shower i noticed i had these red marks on my arms not directly on the arms as such more like above the armpit and on the inside but below the armpit itself, its hard to describe them really . . I can only really say they look like stretch marks but why would they just appear like that if that was the case... Although i have noticed them a couple of times in the past but not bothered with them as they havent caused me any pain.
This time though they are still here after a week and its playing on my mind a little, i was just wondering if anyone might have had something like it or know whats causing it.... :confused:

I actually managed to get a pic of it because i was thinkign if it went away i wouldnt really know how to describe how it looked... so... heres a couple so you can see what i mean..

Warning : There is a picture of my underarm in thsi link, just so your aware of what you rclicking on you understand ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stretch marks?
    i was thinking it i might be stretch marks but how exactly do you get stretch marks, usually from losing weight i know of that one at least, and i have lost weight so it isnt that :confused: what else is there . . . . . * thinks *
    This link explains some possible causes of stretch marks. I think this is really one for the doctor, though, as there's no obvious reason. Or try calling NHS Direct: Telephone: 0845 46 47
    They look alot like stress marks to me, as i had them for quite a while, i first got them when i was about 12 but i hadn't rapidly lost weight or put it on, i think they can be caused by the body growing quickly through puberty? i used cocoa butter on mine and there almost un noticeable now, try using some of that on them each day. :)
    My boyfriend sometimes gets marks like that on his sholder when he has been carrying a heavy bag - they tend to go away after about a week
    Thank you all :)

I'll give the doctor a try once im registered
    They're stretch marks, mate.
    ah.. see i just wasnt sure.

Its just weird how they just appeared last week ...

ive still yet to register with a doctor round here it just keeps slipping my mind tbh. Must remember !

I was checking the marks over last night teh ones on my right arm have sort of started go go away, the ones on the left arm seem a littel diff but not by much :/
    Stretch marks tend to fade away to silvery colour, and they also disappear depending on which way your skin is flexed. They will never completely disappear though.

They can heppen veru easily, normally when the skin is stretched rapidly. Gaining or losing weight rapidly, or growing rapidly, are the common reasons.
    Yeah i read up teh articles spanner linked to about them and stuff..... But from what i read nothing matched specifically, no sudden weight gain/loss, no stretching rapidly,and i certainly havent grown lol .. so i was at a loss as to whati could think it was

btw these marks are still like reddish if thats any use to know
    They'll stay red for a long time if they're stretch marks mate...I got them between when I was 11 and like...now, and they stay red for a long time. Especially the ones on the backs of my knees and on my hips. I didn't get them on my arms though, just my legs and hips.
    You might have grown and not noticed.

They're stretch marks, almost definitely.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They're stretch marks, almost definitely.
    You're a better man than me if you can say that from the photo above!

If they're going away so quickly they could be an allergic rash to washing powder or deodorant?
    They look dimpled.

Are the marks just marks, or are they slightly indented?
    they look as if they are just under the skin......
    Originally posted by Richeh
    they look as if they are just under the skin......

Hm.

If you run your finger along them, does the skin feel like it dimples in where they are?

You should see a doctor if you're very worried, but to me they look like stretch marks. Althouigh I sometimes get marks very similar to those on my neck if I've shaved with a blunt blade, the difference being the lack of dimpling.
    They could be broken capillary's (not sure how to spell it). You get them if you've done something like exfoliated too hard, i think they are caused from blood vessels breaking and leavin red/purpley vein like marks on your skin, something like that anyway. a friend of mine has some on her legs, they never completely go as far as i know.... What you've got is most likely stretch marks, but if they turn out not to be, then maybe they are broken capillarys...
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Hm.

If you run your finger along them, does the skin feel like it dimples in where they are?

You should see a doctor if you're very worried, but to me they look like stretch marks. Althouigh I sometimes get marks very similar to those on my neck if I've shaved with a blunt blade, the difference being the lack of dimpling.

in case anyone wonders im not saying they are not stretch marks :) . anyway

Kermit when i run my finger over them they feel... raised.. thats not the word im looking for, i can feel them i dunno :confused:
    The skin on either side is the normal level, so they probably do feel raised.

That's if they are stretch marks. They look like it, I have them in the same place.
    I checked my underarm(s) today and its gotten much worse, they are more purple and bigger in width and lengh. The feel, i think the right word might be indented, and they do look like tears under the...

A job for the docs ??
This discussion has been closed.