Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

More losses in Iraq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

What I think is particularly impressive, and I say this in all seriousness, is that only 25 British Soldiers have lost their lives, compared to 79 US troops. I think that speaks of a level of professionalism in our troops to be proud of, especially considering that there will be a fair proportion lost to friendly fire.

Comments

• Options
    It has a lot to do with odds though hasnt it.

The US has way more troops there covering a much larger and more dangerous area. So it stands to reason even if their actions are exactly the same more americans will get shot.
  • Options
    Sort of, but the British army have a different style for crowd control as well.

ETA: you look at photos of the US special forces, they look like frightened children, photos of ordinary UK troops look calm and collected, they know their job.
  • Options
    Certainly, I wasnt suggesting otherwise.

Its relatively well known that the Brits have much more experience with this type of work.

But, 'our boys' are far from blameless, I believe one is on bail for murder in Iraq as we speak.
  • Options
    I forget the circumstances of that one.
  • Options
    I believe the army officer shot a lawyer in cold blood. For no security reason. Though, he isnt guilty yet, thats just what he's been charged with.
  • Options
    Not suprising their are more American soilders killed but isn't their death toll up to 1000?
  • Options
    I've seen one source that says 1000, but the same source said more than 200 british troops had been killed.
  • Options
    I'd much rather have the SAS defending my country than the US Special Forces...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I believe the army officer shot a lawyer in cold blood.

That's a crime?

*is shocked*

Surely he should get a medal...?
  • Options
    I'm sure there are some lawyers you dont hate. I met an excellent human rights lawyer from New York a few days ago. Very smart, even if she did talk too quickly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I've seen one source that says 1000, but the same source said more than 200 british troops had been killed.

a US newspaper printed the faces of the first 1000 american soldiers to die in Iraq so yes over 1000 have died, i think it's something like 1050 now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    I'd much rather have the SAS defending my country

eh right, murdering scumbags.
  • Options
    Yeah , and the figure of 1200 deat coalition dead proves that this war has not been a disaster at all. In Vietnam the US was losing 300 men a day and on the first day of the battle of the Somme over 20,000 men died.

War is no longer bloody and protracted, it is now often an ethical choice for Western governments.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Yeah , and the figure of 1200 deat coalition dead proves that this war has not been a disaster at all. In Vietnam the US was losing 300 men a day and on the first day of the battle of the Somme over 20,000 men died.

War is no longer bloody and protracted, it is now often an ethical choice for Western governments.
    Bullshit.

What about the 12,000+ Iraqi civilians? They don't count do they?

What about the several tens of thousands of mostly Iraqi conscripts killed? They don't count either do they?

The war has been a disaster. Not only in the casualty front, but especially in the consequences it's having. For starters it isn't over. And for seconds there is a serious risk of another Vietnam here (albeit a much smaller one). The Americans are not one iota closer to controlling the situation than they were a year ago. On the contrary- some towns and cities that fell to them during the main hostilities are no longer under their control.

Then there is the little issue of having created massive turmoil for the entire world, angered practically every nation on earth and turned old allies against each other.

As a matter of fact, the Iraq war will go down in history as one of the biggest misjudgements in history.
  • Options
    US Marine Core is the best fighting force on the planet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sinfultictac

Bollocks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    eh right, murdering scumbags.

If you were in schtuck you'd be grateful they were there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Aaah, so in your world, it's ethical to kill thousands of people? As long as they're foreign, right?
  • Options

:rolleyes:
  • Options

Either you are an American or an imbecile. Possibly even both.