Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Council Tax Query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry, had no idea where to put this so here will have to do!

Bit of a long story but I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this scenario...

My sister, aged 19, is living alone in a flat in another town whilst on her university placement year. She now wants her girlfriend, aged 31 (the age difference and that fact she's gay is a completely different issue), to move in. The gf is currently living alone, and hence exempt from paying council tax. My sister, being a student, is also exempt from paying it. When they move in together, will they both have to pay, or is there a system for one paying, or do neither of them pay because my sis is a student, leaving only one other in the household and hence does the gf still qualify for single occupancy exemption? (I don't think the last option is right, but my mum's getting a bit confused!)

I know they should ask the council and no doubt they will, but just wondered if anyone here knew anything about it! Ta in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    When you live on your own you still have to pay council tax but at a reduced rate - I think you get about 30% off.

When the girlfriend moves in she will pay the reduced rate as if she was living on her own as your sister is exempt from paying.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Re: Council Tax Query
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    The gf is currently living alone, and hence exempt from paying council tax.

The reason she is alone is not the reason she doesnt have to pay. It would be because she doesnt earn or doesnt earn enough or some other reason.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Council Tax Query
    Originally posted by Tweety
    The reason she is alone is not the reason she doesnt have to pay. It would be because she doesnt earn or doesnt earn enough or some other reason.

Aye, there is no "I live alone" option. If she isn't paying for that reason she is dodging the tax.
  • Options
    the single person discount is 25%

if your sister is a full time student, and it is only her and the girlfriend living in the house, they should still be entitled to the discount. students are exempted untill the end of october of the year they leave education
  • Options
    Okay, so I got it wrong! She gets it at a discount... some of you knew what I meant! :)

Thanks for your help! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    Okay, so I got it wrong! She gets it at a discount... some of you knew what I meant! :)

Thanks for your help! :)

I wasn't picking, i was just saying you need to know the reason she doesnt pay as it wouldnt be because shes alone.
    Anyway look on your local councils website. Ours tells us what we have to pay ect.
  • Options
    She would be paying the same percentage as she was before, since your sister is a full time student.