Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Disabilities in university and all that...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Heya... so I dunno where to start...

I've always had trouble in certain areas associated with both academics and physical education... For example it took me until I was about fifteen to learn my times tables and paragraphs. I was the only person in my primary school not allowed a special pen for writing because I had difficulty with it and was branded 'lazy'... I also have difficulty with reading and concentration. Mathematics and understanding questions, social cues and putting thoughts to paper.

I think I was about 17 when I brought this up, however I was about 14 when my Mum said she thought I may have dyspraxia. The college wouldn't help because I didn't have a diagnosis (and even if I did they're not really 100% facilitated for dysprxia) and was made to feel like a hypochondriac or silly.

The thing is unless you're affluent, getting a diagnosis over the age of about ten is incredibly difficult. We fought for about two years to get one. However, whilst I had dropped out of college because of mental illness before I stuck out the two years.

Two months before exams started I was given a diagnosis and finally I showed it to them and then they gave me help. Apparently I'm entitled to having somebody sit in a classroom & help me take notes, the use of special software and emotional support... although in April... well it's a bit too bloody late!

So here's my dilemma... I ended up with two Cs and an E at A2 level and a D at As... WHich is below what I need to get in to the unis I wanna... But the thing is I got no help when I needed it and it impacted on my grades (verbally I was top of my classes and I have a very high IQ believe it or not)... So I'm pretty screwed for applying to universities because of this because my grades are shit... But I really wanna go to a decent uni and get a job.

Just wondering if any advice can be given. I'll be 21 when I return and have dyspraxia... however people don't seem to be very sympathetic about it often. Maybe this is the way the education systems are meant to be... survival of the fittest... or of those who conform mentally to the education system :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Colleges won't help without medical proof, because they don't get the funding otherwise. Your problems should have been submittede to the examination board for them to be considered, as examination boards hel;p the disabled- you could get more time, or you could get a transcriber if you find it difficult to write. I would consider appealing to the examination body about your results if your disability was not taken into account properly.

At university disability is taken into account very well. All universities ahve a disability welfare unit, and they can help- again, transcribers and dictaphones in lectures, and even little things like providing you with free carbon pads so you can get a mate to take notes and give you a copy. My housemates at uni were deaf, and they got a lot of help, and they also got extra funding because they were diabled students.
    yeah I have medical proof, but would I get leway because I was diagnosed so late & not given the help I needed from the start of my course??
    in my experience universities are great with disabilities and difficulties. my best mate is dyslexic and she was supported all the way through uni. she even got a grant for equipment to help her in the areas she had most difficulty with - like they provided a minidisc recorder, cause her note-taking in lectures was piss poor, and she never had a clue what she'd written.

have a chat to a few people at the uni, and i'm sure they'll sort you out.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    yeah I have medical proof, but would I get leway because I was diagnosed so late & not given the help I needed from the start of my course??

You shoul do.

But even beyond that, they take into account the fact that a disability isn't something that is only an issue during examinations, it is an issue throughout your learning career.

Although you have probably left it too late to appeal any grades this time now.
    leeds seem to have a superb disability service. there's even DISSOC, a society for disabled people! but the actual services and support provided seem to be spectacular too.
    Right, once you're signed as having a disability, which you say you are. You should go to your LEA and claim for a DSA (Disabled Students Allowance) you'll be refered to an assesment centre, which assesses your need. This is based purely on what you need to make you 'equal' to other students and has nothing to do with your financial ability. A report will be sent to you, for approval, and then to your LEA who will either agree to pay for the recommendations or not (not agreeing to the vast majority of recommendations is really rare).

Follow on from there.