Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nicotine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, this is for all the smokers out there.

I have been smoking for about 5 years, I have never been the 20 a day puffer, but i've been through stages where i've smoked everyday, just smoked at weekends, just smoked spliffs, stopped everything completely, and i still don't feel addicted.

At the moment, i smoke when i go out, but not always, and have a spliff every evening, and i still don't feel the horrible urge which everybody warns me about, even though i work in an office full of smokers who do it in my face.

Therefore is smoking as addictive as everyone claims for everybody?

I ask this as i don't want to become addicted, i want to be able to stop when i want, and after 5 years i still can, but i don't want to wake up one day and find this isn't the case.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You'll feel the urges when you stop completely in the long term. Try not smoking for a week or so and if you can't manage it, you'll know you're addicted.
    im like this, dont feel addicted at all to smoking. occasionally i'll crave a fag but not very often and i can quite easily go without.
    I do get the relaxing feeling from smoking but just dont seem to get addicted (which is good i guess). its not very noften that i'll smoke, usually just when im feeling really stressed.
    but i was wondering if smoking is really all that addictive as well...
    I say at this moment in my life i couldn't go a week without cigs. ;)
    yeah maybe stop a few days without smoking anything and go back to work where you're around the smoke. You almost want to eat it, the cravings are that strong.
    Yep, I used to be able to go a week easily without a cig but now I can't even go a day! I've smoked every day for about 2 years and on and off for a year before that and I already I know I am addicted, I can't stand it but sometimes the cravings are really strong. Thing is also, a lot of people are always smoking around me, in my house etc, which doesn't make matters any easier. I would really like to stop, I smoke about 7-10 a day which isn't much but I find it very hard to quit. I think I have just got an addictive personality.

Trust me, if you are not addicted, STOP.
    Because you soon will be.
    i've been smoking fags for nearly 40yrs and still not addicted ...so long as i have one about every half hour i never get any cravings or withdrawls ...addictive my arse.
    :lol:

point proven
    Re: Nicotine
    Originally posted by dolly dagger

At the moment, i smoke when i go out, but not always, and have a spliff every evening, and i still don't feel the horrible urge which everybody warns me about, even though i work in an office full of smokers who do it in my face.

I ask this as i don't want to become addicted, i want to be able to stop when i want, and after 5 years i still can, but i don't want to wake up one day and find this isn't the case.

Think it depends on your willpower- I think its a mind thing definitely- Ive given up for just over a month (5-10 a day habit) not loads but as soon as I knew I couldn't have any more - I craved one straight away, yet before i could go for a good few days without because I wasn't thinking about it so much...weird.

i know i smoked more when i was out for the night- maybe because you have a spliff everyday that you dont notice it- but I will say if you feel you can give up now rather than later when you realise 'oh shit, i need a fag':crazyeyes
    'oh shit, i need a fag'

Know that too well. Sometimes you really crave a cigarette but i find it passes then in another while the craving gets stronger, it's all about mind control though, if you just tell yourself no i don't a cigarette, you can't do it, just not smoke.But it's a mental addiction, a big one at that too.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There are different degrees of addiction too, its all about habitual useage. If you feel the need to smoke every time you go out, and it is difficult for you to not smoke if you have a drink in your hand, then it is likely that you are addicted to nicotine...

You could have a look at the Quit website if you want more information.
    I heard today that twice as many 15-16 year old girls smoke than boys. Scary.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Yes indeed. There is an article here about it.
    It seems the message is getting through to blokes and not girls, is it the old chesnut of smoking makes you thin?
    Re: Nicotine
    Originally posted by dolly dagger

I have been smoking for about 5 years, I have never been the 20 a day puffer, but i've been through stages where i've smoked everyday, just smoked at weekends, just smoked spliffs, stopped everything completely, and i still don't feel addicted.

mmmm likewise. I smoke a fair bit especially when i'm out, and used to smoke tobacco just about every day in joints...although i tend to stick to pure grass these days...my own theory is, the craving for weed outweighs the craving for fags...if i stop smoking weed, i'd probably end up addicted to nicotine instead.
    Thanks for all the advice.

I haven't smoked a fag for two weeks (well only half a fag, then i put it out), but i still smoke gear, so i don't know if it counts really.

I think what people have said is right, a lot of it is will power, when i am out and drunk, my resistance is down, but in the day at work i can be much stronger, don't really like them that much if i'm not drunk or having a coffee anyway. x