Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

having to pay the full wack for tuition fees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
cut a long story short i went to one uni, it was shite, lived on my own in the first year, didn't make any friends, got depressed went insane etc etc dropped out. managed to get a good place at another good uni through clearing and when i origionally left i rung up my LEA to check whether i could still get support and they said i could start again and it would be fine.

i'm starting on monday and the bastards have just told me that, as a matter of fact, i was told wrongly and that i will have to find the money to pay my tuition fees in full... muppets.

AFAIK that's 4 years at £6K = £24000 for my degree. fuck's sake. why didn't i just leave school at 16 and get a job in McD's it's not as if a-levels count for anything with employers you're either a graduate or you're an illiterate innumerate wage slave who'll only ever work in some form of customer service (customers = c*nts). what a fucking joke.

[/rant] :mad:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you a foreign student? If not full fees will be 1200 Max per year.

Bopz
    Usually if you repeat a year you will have to pay for your fees. That means that you should only have to pay in the first year and then after that the LEA will loan you the money again.

Also, you may still be able to get a mainenance loan (depending on the circumstances of you dropping out before and how nice your LEA are) which will cover your fees and then all you'll need to do is work to pay for living costs.

This might not be the same for everyone but basically that is what happened with my boyfriend.
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Are you a foreign student? If not full fees will be 1200 Max per year.

Wrong.

The cost of your course at University is what the International students are charged- that is how much the course costs.

What happens is your LEA subsidises this cost down, so you only have to pay a maximum of £1200 of the cost of your course. Tuition fees are a misnomer, in reality- £1200 is not the cost of your course, but the maximum you are expected to contribute towards the cost of your tuition.

I would go back again and talk to your LEA, and make sure you see a serious senior person. having to pay full whack for a first repeat sounds a bit iffy to me, as I've had frioends who've dropped out and got subsidised anyway.
    What I ment was the maximum he/she would have to contribute would have be £1200. I dropped my course last year and am doing a new one this year and I got all the same money etc.
    I think something has got fucked up so go have a chat on the phone to them!

Bopz
    What I ment was the maximum he/she would have to contribute would have be £1200.

Still wrong.

It depends on whether you are eligible for LEA subsidy. If it is a second undergrad degree and you already have a degree then you aren't, for instance.
    i'd look into it, you know, cause it sounds like you dropped out after the first year?

i did that, and after discussion with my LEA, i found out that in my area every student is entitled to 4 years support. so even if you do a year and drop out, you still have 3 years support left, on any other degree.

BUT, everything has changed since then. so what i'd do personally is see if your uni has some kind of student advisor type person you can chat to to see what the deal is these days, cause LEA staff tend to be kinda slow.
    Ok my bad.................................

But i'm pretty sure he should be getting a nice fat loan and not having to pay £6000 for fees.......

Bopz
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Still wrong.

It depends on whether you are eligible for LEA subsidy. If it is a second undergrad degree and you already have a degree then you aren't, for instance.

Unless you're doing a graduate MBBS, in which case the NHS pays fees for the entire 4 year course. That's everything, you don't have to pay a penny towards the actual course cost. Only for accomodation etc.

Compared to the traditional 5 year course where the NHS pays fees for only the 5th year. Bastards.
    But i'm pretty sure he should be getting a nice fat loan and not having to pay £6000 for fees.......

If it is his first drop oput, then yeah, he should. The Student Finance Direct people have had terrible trouble with the new computers, I would pester until you get a decent answer.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The Student Finance Direct people have had terrible trouble with the new computers,

tell me about it. my landlord is gonna have to whistle for his rent for up to 3 months cos thats up to how long my loan is gonna take
    I sent in a form to cancel my support for this year. There was a sheet on the front saying 'if you wish to postpone your support please fill in sections 1 and 4' basically telling them who i was, and confirming that i don't want any money. i filled in the bit that explains why i'm cancelling my support with 'i wish to apply for a different course at another university' and for some reason this prompted them to send the form back instructing me to tell them which course i would be on and at what university.... i don't KNOW what course i'll be on or where yet, that's why I said APPLY!!! i'm sure they try very hard, and they are very much overworked, but to waste ratepayers money sending a form back to me asking for information i don't have, which would have been avoided by just reading the answers, seems silly.