Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I Need Halls...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've just got my offer from the London Met, but no one told us we had to apply for halls before 8th August.
I've got the application form, which I'm taking with me to the open day on weds, but I'm still worried about not getting accom.

Has anyone else had problems with late accom applications or anything similar? and how did you sort it?

Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    youre not actually from uk are you?

if you arent and explain to them you didnt know, im sure they could find a room for you, as you'd be preference student
    Well am not from the UK and I hada phone and ask them to send me a accommodation form so it'd get here (and back there) in time. Hada few problems with that aspect actually. I think you should maybe phone them no wand explain your situation? If you aren't from the UK then they might be a lil more lenient and anyways they always keep spares in case of students with clearing and that so shouldn't be too hard to get you a room.
    I just didn't get into halls full stop. I went to the accommodation office, and they got me a house, but most places help you find a house, from what ive heard.
    I was too late for halls. I'd decided I was going to Uni and then changed my mind and then changed it back at the last minute. Went to the accomodation office and they told me and my friend that 2 people had dropped out of some private halls but on the way out of the accomodation office there was a man looking for people to live in his house. He took us to his house and it was perfect, by far the best student house I could ever imagine. He was telling us that the Uni seem to only be promoting uni halls/private halls and not landlords which doesn't seem fair.
    I'm from the UK and live over 25 miles from my Uni..

I've met a girl on a student site who's goin to the same uni, same campus - I have her floor in her accom should I need it lol Bless her...

It's either that, or private rented :S which I don't want!

Gonna have to send of the application form anyway and keep my fingers crossed..

Ilora x
    You probably won't get into Halls, but a lot of big universities have a stock of housing accomodation which they reserve for their students.

T'missus didn't get halls, she was placed in a flat in the main student area of Newcastle.

Even if the uni don't have housing stock, they will help you find accomodation.
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    It's either that, or private rented :S which I don't want!

Why not?
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Why not?
    Because I don't want to be away from the typical 'halls' life - I want to be a new student, with all the other new students at the same time.

Plus, after watching that programme about the 'Camden Ripper' there's no way I'm living on my own in london!!

Ilora x
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Because I don't want to be away from the typical 'halls' life - I want to be a new student, with all the other new students at the same time.

Plus, after watching that programme about the 'Camden Ripper' there's no way I'm living on my own in london!!

Ilora x

Yeh, I was like that. I wanted the 'halls' life but hey, you can't have everything. Plus, I'm told bad things about halls! (yes, I do realise I'm just trying to make myself not want to live in halls).

You wouldn't necessarily be on your own, I'm living with 3 others.
    With me, I jumped through clearing, and went to the open day after that. They gave me an accomodation form then and even showed us around the halls. I handed it in then and got into halls.

It shouldn't be too big a problem - you won't be the only person in this situation, so they'll have a system for dealing with it. Just have faith :)
    I got halls today!!!

Me, mum and dad got in the car, travelled all the way down to Aldgate for the London Met Tour - to find that it had been cancelled 2 weeks prior! so, we thought we should go and speak to 'accomodation' down the road..

We took a walk, went into the office and were told that we were on the waiting list for halls, then directed to the computer with 'private rented accomodation' on the screen.

I burst out crying... a phonecall was made to the Manager of halls, and an appointment to view a room was made...

Half an hour and a 10 quid taxi later - I have a room in halls!!!

Yay! Ilora x :D