Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

china

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i was wondering if any of you know how long it takes to get to china from heathrow?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's something like 11 hours to Shanghai (or slightly more) and approximately 10 hours to Beijing.

Don't quote me on that though :p
    Yep, around about 10 hours to Beijing.
    months if you get the slow boat.
    months if you get the slow boat.

:lol:
    Try about 15 hours.

It's 15 non-stop from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Hong Kong. Or it's timetabled for that, get a good tailwind up over Tibet and it can be donw to about 11.

Get a good book. You'll need it.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Try about 15 hours.

It's 15 non-stop from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Hong Kong. Or it's timetabled for that, get a good tailwind up over Tibet and it can be donw to about 11.

Get a good book. You'll need it.

It took me about nine hours to get to Beijing from Heathrow, and about 11 to get back, if I remember rightly. I don't know why there was two hours difference, I'm no expert on plane travel. It was definitely not fifteen hours, or even close, though. So there, etc. :p
    It was most definitely 15 hours when I flew back from Hong Kong. Both times.

So there:p
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It was most definitely 15 hours when I flew back from Hong Kong. Both times.

So there:p

Yes, but that is Hong Kong and, I assume, Charles de Gaulle, not Beijing and Heathrow. Therefore, my experience is clearly far superior, in terms of relevance to the question, to yours. So there. :p
    Paris is closer to China;)

THough Beijing is closer than Hong Kong. THough I wouldn't have thought by three hours :yeees:

Maybe Cathay Pacific can't be arsed rushing :lol:
    15 hours to hong kong from paris?!?

as far as i recall from london it's never taken me much more than 12 hours to get there and i must have been about 6 or 7 times by now.

it's annoying how they moved the airport now though :(
    indeed! but it does look awfully pretty though :)
    I like the new airport. Very swooshing, and I love the air-conditioned underground train to take you to the far gates :lol:

Though I miss the approach to the old one.
    approach was a lot cooler :) and old airport was a lot damn closer to my gran's old apartment where we normally stay!
    it was 13 hours to singapore and 12 returning from japan!

we did heathrow to beijing in 10 hours out and 9 hours return, flying via frankfurt.

perhaps the difference between heathrow- beijing and paris- hong kong is the airspace restrictions? planes dont often fly direct lines, they curve.
    I think it also depends which route they take.

I've done Schiphol-Hong Kong in 10 hours, straight over the Middle East. But when we came back from Hong Kong to Schiphol, and the out and back from PDG, they flew out over Russia and the Ukraine.

IT still annoys the hell out of me that Cathay Pacifi don't fly direct Manchester- Hong Kong, but I don't suppose there's the demand. At least they do the trip, which is more than can be said for Shittish Airways.
    first time i flew to hong kong on cathy pacific from manchester it was a direct flight :rolleyes:
    11 hours 25 minutes.
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    It took me about nine hours to get to Beijing from Heathrow, and about 11 to get back, if I remember rightly. I don't know why there was two hours difference, I'm no expert on plane travel. It was definitely not fifteen hours, or even close, though. So there, etc. :p

Flying into the wind one way, and out of it the other? Makes a big difference to headway.