Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Part-time Job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just beginning my second year of Uni and am looking for a part time job (12-20 hours a week) in a shop of some kind.

I've worked in a clothes store for the past 3 years. They're generally okay but they're pretty harsh on their staff - low pay, no sick pay, and stuff like they've had me in 32 hours a week all summer and turned round this week and told me they don't have anything for me....:(

Now I wanted a transfer to this store in my Uni town, and did everything I possibly could on my part - been chasing them since mid-July and ended up making a 200 mile trip to go for a 10 minute "chat" last week. They said they'd get back to me this weekend and tell me whether I'd got the job or not.

Now, if I /do/ get this job, do I want it?

Comments

• Options
    Well, I suppose you can take it for the time being, but don't be afraid to send out CVs and go for interviews in other places - in university towns there tends to be quite a quick turnover of staff so there should be lots of jobs available. To be honest if you're just looking for part-time shop work its unlikely that you'll find anywhere that pays a lot of money or gives sick pay, but you might find somewhere where you're a bit happier to work.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I go to a University where jobs aren't exactly plentiful (despite the fact that most people don't need a job).

And my problem is: if I say yes, I've verbally agreed to a contract, and I have sent out my CV to other places, have had another interview somewhere else and have one, if not more, interviews lined up. The problem is I may not get them.

I'm certainly not looking for great pay - just at least £4.50 an hour as that's what I've been on for the past year. It's more the way the company treats it's employees as a whole - the full time staff don't even get sick pay etc etc.

Anyway no one bothered to call me this weekend to tell me whether or not I'd got the job, despite them saying that would. I'm off on holiday tomorrow, which they know, so I guess the ball's in their court.

Frustrating though. :mad: