Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Subjects

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi. Following on from my post below (sixth form no go?) I'm thinking subjects here.

Very worried still. Booked in for blood test on monday.

Still trying to sort out situation. Thinking more about courses now. Has anyone studied Pyschology, Sociology, English Lit, PHilosphy and Ethics?? (Not neccessarily all of them- just one or more!!)

Please could you give me all your views and opinions of what they are like? Also I am totally unsure about the phiosphy and ethics course as I am a Christian and the course world relgisions at school dont allow you to pick christianity- what do people think of the alternatvies and is it a course to study even though I'm not totally enthusiastic for it??

More info is on the other thread.

All replies welcomed. decision is looming. I am shaking.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Psychology is boring as fuck.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Psychology is boring as fuck.

i agree.

i was forced to drop out after 2 months for fear that i actually would throw myself out of the 3rd storey window.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i agree.

Thirded. There's some interesting stuff in there, but the format of the course (in my experience) makes it very formulaic, and the exam (at least at AS) just needs you to be able to regurgitate information on demand, rather than use any skills.

Sociology's alright, though.
    if you have a flair for writing, english lit is a sound choice.

as long as youre prepared to a) do a lot of reading and
    b) analyse everything

you'll do alright.

i did:
    Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart
    Thomas Hardy - Tess Of The D'Urbervilles
    Jane Eyre (cant remember which one of the Bronte's wrote it :o )
    Arthur Miller - Death Of A Salesman
    Shakespeare - Twelfth Night
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge - The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner
    Shakespeare - Measure For Measure
    John Fowles - The French Lieutenant's Woman

sure we did more but thats all i can remember off the top of my head, it was 2 years ago.
    English Language is a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the linguistics aspect of the course. The sociology of language is immensely interesting.
    I love my Psychology so far, I've only had a few lessons but it seems really good from what we've done so far. I think a lot of it is fascinating
    Do what you enjoy without closing off options.

Maths is a good one
    Eng lit is another.
    My friends really enjoyed Psyc.

But whatever you enjoy.

I did Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Eng Lit As, some people would drown themselves at the prospect. Whatever works for you.
    good choices there, i done maths physics, chemistry and psychology as, found some aspect psychology theory interesting ie freud, but was overall a crap course so dropped and focused on my sciences for uni
    I did A-level Sociology, loved it.

Can't remember much of it now, it was over a year ago.

In AS, the units I did were Methodology, Education and Mass Media. In A2, I did Religion, Crime and Deviance and a piece of coursework on a topic of our choice. My favourites would have to be Crime and Deviance and Education.

If there's anything you want to ask I'll do my best to answer.
    I did Psychology, English literature, and religious studies (which had no religious studies aspect but was made up of the philosophy of religion and ethics). I absoloutely loved psychology, it isn't what most people expect which is why it gets a lot of negative feedback, but I found many aspects of it very interesting, like child psychology and the different approaches too psychology.

English literature involves reading and analysing a lot of books, over the two years we studied:
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker
    Oranges are not the only fruit by Jeanette Winterson
    Othello by Shakespeare
    Anthony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare
    The Wife of Bath's Prologue by Chaucer
    The Glass Minagerie by Tenassee Williams
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson
    Songs of Innocence and of Experience by William Blake.

Some are obviously more modern novels and plays and some are older texts, it does help if you find that writing comes quite easily and naturally to you and if you are prepared to analyse texts to within an inch of their life.

Philosophy and ethics I absoloutely loved, in my personal opinion I think it is important for everyone but particularly for religious individuals to learn about other faiths and practices, they will in no way try to enforce anything upon you but just explain why people hold the beliefs they do and why they carry out certain religious practises. I don't follow any particular religion but I've always found religious studies, philosophy and ethics to be extremely perspective broadening and interesting.

Good luck with your choices anyway.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    English Language is a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the linguistics aspect of the course. The sociology of language is immensely interesting.

i would have loved to do english language. it's so interesting. but my shit college only offered combined lit and lang, and lit on it's own. and i have an aversion to english lit.
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    good choices there, i done maths physics, chemistry and psychology as, found some aspect psychology theory interesting ie freud, but was overall a crap course so dropped and focused on my sciences for uni

i DONE maths?!?

i'm not insulting you personally, merely making the point I made in politics and debate - that students who are otherwise very intelligent can't use english correctly. it's not your fault if it's absent from the current education system.