Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

as levels with a baby..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hiya I am enroling tommorow or wednesday for 2 As Levels courses at my nearest college. I am now 19 and have a son who is one. I live with my son and his dad(Jay). Jay has a fulltime job where he works shifts so my mum has kindly agreed to take care of Tyler(my son) when his dad cannot. This was so that I didn't have to go full-time to get free childcare(dont wnat to spend that much time away from T) and so I didnt ahve to pay for part-time childcare. I am just a little nervous about how I will manage studying now I have a child, although to be fair I wasn't a studier before(dropped out of as levels and the next year i completed a different course but dropped it to part time due to morning sickness) but I think that the whole arrangement will make me want to keep at college instead of wasting the time and effort we all put in to it if i dropped out.

I suppose I'm looking for encouragement, would love to hear its not as scary as i expect!

-Di-
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sure you'll do fine, especially since your mum's willing to help out, that'll be a bonus. Just keep focused and imagine how you'll feel when you've got 2 As levels next year. It's definitely worth a try.

:thumb: Good Luck!
    I started my degree when my little girl was 13 months old, and found that I was a lot more organised than others on my course...I wouldn't miss lectures as I was paying for childcare and found it a waste. Sometimes, I'd be the only student in the 9 o'clock lectures!

You just have to make sure you make time for everything...I used to try and do assignments on an evening when she was in bed, so that I could see her more at the weekend.

So yeah, as long as you organise your time wisely, you'll be fine!

Edited to add, I graduated in July with a 2:1 :D
    you can do it!!!! give it a go i mean what ahve you got to lose? it is said that people with academic qualificatuions earn more thatn labourers!

if you seek a career then why did you haev a child? oh well thats your story
    hope it all goes well forn you . . .
    Just remmeber: doing ALevels is a full time job. Your partner needs to understand that.
    Originally posted by vmong

if you seek a career then why did you haev a child? oh well thats your story
    hope it all goes well forn you . . .
    Children and careers arent mutually exclusive. It is perfectly possible to have both.

I think youll do fine. You have more of a reason to stick at it than a lot of other students so I think youll do well.
    Ive got a 3 year old and im going back to college in january. I know itll be hard, but being a mother gives me more determination to do well I think.
    I think it's really commendable that you're gonna go back to school, even with obvious commitments in your home life.

In the end, you'll have accomplised something, and gained useful qualifications than you and your son's futures. Go for it and do your best!

Good luck!
    Originally posted by vmong

if you seek a career then why did you haev a child?
    :rolleyes: