Home› Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

manic depression & weed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering if anyone out there knows the effects of weed on manic depressive people.
I have been on medication (lithium, effexor) for the past 7 years, during which I have not stopped smoking weed.
What I really want to know is if weed induces manic depression??
I would really like to quit or cut down but I'm finding it extremely difficult to do as my bf smokes it all the time.
Any advice (except dumping my bf would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: manic depression & weed
    Originally posted by labrini
    I was wondering if anyone out there knows the effects of weed on manic depressive people.
    I have been on medication (lithium, effexor) for the past 7 years, during which I have not stopped smoking weed.
    What I really want to know is if weed induces manic depression??
    I would really like to quit or cut down but I'm finding it extremely difficult to do as my bf smokes it all the time.
    Any advice (except dumping my bf would be greatly appreciated.

personally i don't know but my friend takes effexor and has taken lithium for his depression, i've noticed his behaviour and he seems to be all happy one moment then just turns into a grumpy ****, he's been smoking it for years aswell and he's tried to commit suicide before, i don't know if this is directly related to dope but you could try just smoking the odd joint everyday then wheen off it, bong will probably give you a more detailed response.
    Sorry I didnt reply sooner, I have been mucho busy at work.

As with any drug if you dont think you are coming out better off then you shouldnt be using it.

As a hallucinogen it may well not be a great idea but then some people do say that it helps them.

I think only you can decide whether its doing you any good. But be careful and it would be better if you cut down a bit.

As for your boyfriend smoking and you not wanting to, may I suggest that you might want to smoke but not inhale, that way you'd be part of the experience without 99% of the high/bad effects.

I hope your ok.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Sorry for the long quote, but I thought you may be interested in the following, taken from UK Lords report on Cannabis, link here.
    4.11 In some instances cannabis use may lead to a longer-lasting toxic psychosis involving delusions and hallucinations that can be misdiagnosed as schizophrenic illness (Strang Q 239, van der Laan Q 512). This is transient and clears up within a few days on termination of drug use; but the habitual user risks developing a more persistent psychosis, and potentially serious consequences (such as action under the Mental Health Acts and complications resulting from the administration of powerful neuroleptic drugs) may follow if an erroneous diagnosis of schizophrenia is made. It is also well established that cannabis can exacerbate the symptoms of those already suffering from schizophrenic illness (Q 239) and may worsen the course of the illness; but there is little evidence that cannabis use can precipitate schizophrenia or other mental illness in those not already predisposed to it (RCPsych p 283).
    Its up in the air somewhat, most experts believe that heavy use in early teenage years, or heavy use when you have an exsisting mental health problem arent good. But whether it could be used effectively as a mild relaxant for mild depression? No-one really knows.
    Thanx to all who replied its much appreciated.
    Bong your are def the boards champion.
    I wouldnt take too much notice of that, it just says that because I've posted so many times.
    i am well aware of this bong, but you must be aware that we all look to you for sound advice. ;)
    Stop it, your making it sound like I have a following, I'm not a cult leader or anything....(muses).....hmmm, there could be potential in this.

Fancy being my subjects?
    Haven't we been through this already? All talk and no action.....
    I'll have you know I'm mixing in serious circles. And anyway your not supposed to talk back. Thats clearly against the rules.
    Well if you posted a proper manifesto then I would know what the rules are, and wouldn't have to step over the boundaries, would I?
    I put forward my political aims ages ago, its not my fault if you missed it, you are supposed to be moderating the Politics section.
    Bong I am just stating the obvious, keep up the good work :)
    Yes, I know you are, but, well I say 'oh no I'm not really' then you heap more praise on....and so on. You know how it goes.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    you are supposed to be moderating the Politics section.

:no: I retired. Everyone got sick of me sitting at my desk shouting.
    Oh, I didnt notice, though having said that you havent posted in there recently.

I'll dig out the link and you can have a look if you fancy.

Ta da! http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63982&highlight=manifesto

But you posted in this the first time!
    Doesn't say anything about not answering back, does it? Devil is in the detail, you know...
    I think I do say something about crushing oposition though dont I. Thats one and the same!
    It isn't opposition, its constructive comment. Now stop arguing, I have to do some work. And poor lambrini, you hijacking their thread to push your dictatorial ways.....
    Ya Bong wat's up wit that????
    First - stop it with that text speak, thats quite plainly in my manifesto as against many laws.

Secondly - It sounded very much like opposition to me, I wont have it!
    I'm not saying anything against you, so relax, you are just taking over my post that's all.
    Sorry.

Everytime I see this I have that Jimi Hendrix tune go through my head.
    Which Hendrix tune would that be then? :confused: (I have a feeling the answer is obvious...)
    Do you want to have a guess?
    :lol: that would be manic depression then....
    Well done! Good tune, a rattling bass line.