Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shared Rooms At Uni

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But its not single occupancy! Its a twin room. Its single occupancy for the bed he will be renting...IE you cannot bring anyone with you!

Besides which, the accomodation offer as such is only an advisory letter, and NOT a contract. That comes soon after, which will specify in more detail and be legally binding
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Pheo
    But its not single occupancy!

and taken from what was already said by renzo in what he has already received ...
    All Rooms are for single occupancy unless otherwise stated

:rolleyes:
    Its a twin room. Its single occupancy for the bed he will be renting...IE you cannot bring anyone with you!

my university, as i have already stated, have single rooms with 2 beds.
    and is for a Twin EnSuite room

not a twin room. there is a difference. a twin en-suite normally means that 2 rooms will be joined to one bathroom; ie one bathroom for every 2 rooms. there is a difference
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy

not a twin room. there is a difference. a twin en-suite normally means that 2 rooms will be joined to one bathroom; ie one bathroom for every 2 rooms. there is a difference

Let me assure you, having GONE to this Uni with my boyfriend being the porter for the hall - it is a SHARED room, i.e. TWO beds in the SAME room with an attatched ensuite. The ROOM is shared, not just the bathroom. The sort of room you're describing does not exist at the University of Exeter.
  • Options
    All Rooms are for single occupancy unless otherwise stated

I think the other bit your missing is "unless otherwise stated"

It IS otherwise stated in the letter, that he is in a twin room.

But, even then, that clause is also there to make sure people do not think its alright to move another person into their room, such as a relative, GF, etc, permanently (this does happen...).

The twin rooms in Hope Hall, Prince of Wales Road, Uni of Exeter, have two beds, in the same room, and an ensuite bathroom connected directly to the room.

I work there, I know. You don't have to beleive me, but I am right. :D As I'm sure Renzo will find out when he gets there!
  • Options
    I think the other bit your missing is "unless otherwise stated"

It IS otherwise stated in the letter, that he is in a twin room.

But, even then, that clause is also there to make sure people do not think its alright to move another person into their room, such as a relative, GF, etc, permanently (this does happen...).

The twin rooms in Hope Hall, Prince of Wales Road, Uni of Exeter, have two beds, in the same room, and an ensuite bathroom connected directly to the room.

I work there, I know. You don't have to beleive me, but I am right. :D As I'm sure Renzo will find out when he gets there!

Cool, thank you for the insider info :D
  • Options

To be honest, you could be the rightest person in the world, but I would still argue with you because you are coming across as a smug git.
  • Options
    But it is rather frustrating when people do not listen, is it not?

Renzo, I'll be around on the Sunday after you move in (26th) in all probability, in the porters lodge, so if you have any major problems...plus theres all the other staff who can sort you out. Obviously if you have a major problem, after you've tried it for a few weeks, with your roommate, HS will try to do something about it.

But it could be worse :D
  • Options
    But it is rather frustrating when people do not listen, is it not?

Indeed it is. Like, for example, yourself, still using a patronising tone.

Maybe if you'd said earlier something like "I work in the halls, they are all shared between two people", instead of rambling on about contracts and occupancy then it would have been a lot better?

For what it's worth, I still think that saying it's a single occupancy bed is ridiculous. If the letters/contracts are really worded like that then they are in serious need of clarification. I doubt that you write them yourself, but just take a look at how confused Renzo was!
  • Options
    I do see your point, but I fail to see how saying that he is in a Twin room is not being "unless otherwise stated"?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Indeed it is. Like, for example, yourself, still using a patronising tone.

Maybe if you'd said earlier something like "I work in the halls, they are all shared between two people", instead of rambling on about contracts and occupancy then it would have been a lot better?

For what it's worth, I still think that saying it's a single occupancy bed is ridiculous. If the letters/contracts are really worded like that then they are in serious need of clarification. I doubt that you write them yourself, but just take a look at how confused Renzo was!

I think he was a bit annoyed when y'all questioned me, even tho I go to the same Uni etc etc, and I'd told y'all what the contract meant.

The contracts are very clear - a TWIN room has TWIN beds, i.e. two. Now I don't know about other Universities but ours ain't exactly giving away space here.

Of course, the senible option would have been to call up the accommodation office and double check, rather than asking random people who don't go to the Uni and then getting wound up when the only person who knows what he's doing and works at the hall in question doesn't give him the answer he wants to hear - the room is shared. period.
  • Options
    hi i started uni/college on sun

i have a shared room in my halls its cool.. we moved in on sunday and get on fine, shes gone off now and made some friends, so i stuck here on own.

my room is like an L shape so the beds are far apart and we both have our privicy i cant see her bed and she cant see mine, its good!

im at salisbury college bit disapointed as its not a proper uni, so there aint many parties etc.. no student bar and not much to do. so i boreddd when every1 is at lectures and i aint got any.

plus no1 in my course is in halls which is also another bummer,. but hey its only been 4 days hope ital get better for me..
  • Options
    I have to share, too. I'm going to UCL in a week or so. It's a lovely building by the looks of it, though.

I'm scared. What if my roommate doesn't like the Smiths? What if she listens to Kiss FM really loudly? I'll cry (lol).
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I have to share, too. I'm going to UCL in a week or so. It's a lovely building by the looks of it, though.

I'm scared. What if my roommate doesn't like the Smiths? What if she listens to Kiss FM really loudly? I'll cry (lol).

What if my room mate is right wing? :( :nervous:

well my posters will piss them off for a start
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    What if my room mate is right wing? :( :nervous:

well my posters will piss them off for a start
    Haha! Oh, no, me too! What if they're a member of the Tory party?! Argh!
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Haha! Oh, no, me too! What if they're a member of the Tory party?! Argh!

They would have to be disposed of, obviously.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    They would have to be disposed of, obviously.

It'd solve the room share problem:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It'd solve the room share problem:p

Yes it would :D