Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Terrified

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...about wednesday, i go into hospital for an operation.

I have had two before however this time a little bit older and wise to things that could go wrong (obviously from reading too many false newspapers :D and daytime TV such as City General, as well as Holby city and Casualty) I feel awful, add that to a very bad experience last year when i was taken in following a 'blood clot' etc.

I am terrified, i know the risks are small and that i am being a wimpy wimp! :( but the fear is so bad i am not sleeping, in fact i finaly got to sleep at 4:30am last night after lying in bed for nearly 3 hours, until then i was on here trying to take my mind off it! :rolleyes: (obviously making it much worse!) :(

Can anyone please help me feel slightly better by just giving me some reassurance? anyone had one, or a few that they could share experiences of? I mean the only bit I am scared of is the anaesthetic, not waking afterwards, i will be fine when i come around, its just the needle and gas and everything in that small room arggghhhh! :(

:crazyeyes i am going MAD! :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Terrified
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    the only bit I am scared of is the anaesthetic, not waking afterwards, i will be fine when i come around, its just the needle and gas and everything in that small room arggghhhh! :(

i'm off in tomorrow to have them maul my mouth. joy to the world.

needles, not bothered. hospital, not bothered. anaesthetic, not bothered.

waking up afterwards? absolutely crapping my pants. and it had to be my mouth. i am such a baby when anything is wrong with my mouth. anything else and i wouldn't give a shit. they have to sedate me at the dentist just to get their little shiny mirror in.
    If everyones honest they will admit to having the same fear you have. I dont think anybody likes the thought of anastetic.

You will have a pre-med? cos that will make it easier for you.

I know when our Becks had her op i was crying my eyes out and she was only in theatre and recovery for about 40 mins.

sorry im not being much help am I :(
    my daughter is in at the mo with kidney probs ...i know your fears ...
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo If everyones honest they will admit to having the same fear you have. I dont think anybody likes the thought of anastetic.

Thanks Kaff....for proving me wrong :lol::lol:
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Thanks Kaff....for proving me wrong :lol::lol:

hehe. the doctors all think i'm mental.

when i told the consultant guy i was scared, he started to give me a lecture about how safe it was, fairly low pain, and the needles, blah blah'

so i told him:

i'm not scared of pain. i've been in pain for 3 months so i figure, how much worse can it get? even if it's agonising, i know eventually it'll go away.

i'm not scared of needles. i had one pushed through my tongue, ffs.

i'm not scared of dying from the anaesthetic. if you're gonna die, best time in the world to do it is when you're unconscious. won't feel a thing.

but i am absolutely, totally, shitting-my-pants terrified that either the anaesthetic, or the painkillers, or the anti-biotics i have to have afterwards will make me sick.

and i swear the guy pulled this exact face :eek2:
    So you would probably better off not having a pre -med?

From what i was told people who have pre-meds tend to not recover as quick(in kids anyhow).
    thanks guys, i know its unlikely, but my mum and dad are terrified i will not be OK, i have had glandular fever the last month so recovery is going to be slower, asthma has been causing trouble so that will be a worry, and i just dont want to think that if anything did happen what would my mum and dad think? how would they cope, that the only worry i have really.

i am so scared of the needle, and i really do not want to spent the night in hospital, i get so home sick (sounding like a real wimp now :D)

but really i am terrified :(
    I had to go in for a quick op earlier this year. I'm not worried about needles, or the aneasthetic, and more or less took it in my stride.
    Yes, I did think about the things that can go wrong, and have heard/read horror stories about ops and anaesthetic gong wrong. But I just sort of figured that if it all went wrong, then I'm not going to know anything about it, so why worry about it. I'll either wake, or I won't. The odds say it's extremely unlikely that I'd die from a minor operation, so I felt at ease. There are thousands of ways to die in everyday life. Thousands of risks we take. It's just that they seem so everyday and ordinary that makes us pay little attention to them. But when we do something a bit out of the ordinary (for most people), such as fly on a plane, or have an operation, it scares us. Simply because it's just something different from what we're used to.
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I had to go in for a quick op earlier this year. I'm not worried about needles, or the aneasthetic, and more or less took it in my stride.
    Yes, I did think about the things that can go wrong, and have heard/read horror stories about ops and anaesthetic gong wrong. But I just sort of figured that if it all went wrong, then I'm not going to know anything about it, so why worry about it. I'll either wake, or I won't. The odds say it's extremely unlikely that I'd die from a minor operation, so I felt at ease. There are thousands of ways to die in everyday life. Thousands of risks we take. It's just that they seem so everyday and ordinary that makes us pay little attention to them. But when we do something a bit out of the ordinary (for most people), such as fly on a plane, or have an operation, it scares us. Simply because it's just something different from what we're used to.

Yeah thanks Mr Wobble, least you made me think about it in perspective, if it happens it happens if it dont it dont :D

its just scary, and i dont help myself :S
    if anyone is interested, i am still alive.

was all over and i was back in my bed by 10am. dozed and dribbled my way through a couple of daytime home improvement programs, was force fed soup and orange juice, and sent on my way. just got home, and don't feel too bad at all.

i worried them a bit, cause my blood pressure was pretty low, but after monitoring me every 15 mins all morning and it staying the same even when i was sitting up and chatting and i was obviously not on the brink of death, they decided it was probably normal for me.

so yeah. about a million times better than i was expecting. i even got some free tissues out of the bargain, so i could dribble happily all the way home.
    Originally posted by kaffrin

was all over and i was back in my bed by 10am. dozed and dribbled my way through a couple of daytime home improvement programs, was force fed soup and orange juice, and sent on my way. just got home, and don't feel too bad at all.

i worried them a bit, cause my blood pressure was pretty low, but after monitoring me every 15 mins all morning and it staying the same even when i was sitting up and chatting and i was obviously not on the brink of death, they decided it was probably normal for me.

so yeah. about a million times better than i was expecting. i even got some free tissues out of the bargain, so i could dribble happily all the way home.

Just made a post for you on lj :D.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

glad you got on well :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".
    I'm glad it all turned out well. May you be healthy from now on.
    Glad it went well for you Kaffrin, so scared now but i think my main worry is packing a bag to stay all night, makes me feel strange as last time i was packing it was to go on holiday, feels really strange, and quite sacred now!

ah well

speak to you all in about a wek i suppose :(
    You will be just fine.

xxxx
    well they let me home a day late as they thought i got an infection from op!

nurses were horrible on the morning shift, otheres were lovely, i actually spent all yesterdaycrying, one will say one thing and another says something completely different

had them again today and to be honest i am really glad i do not have to put up with another again!
    :(