Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eek, blonde to brunette..wise?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My hair is a dark blonde, and I occasionally get it highlighted to make it look more blonde than it already is.

Bored of the colour, and thinking there's only so much time I have whilst I'm young to do something drastic to my hair, I'm thinking of going a warm chocolate brown.

Bearing in mind I have really pale skin, so I'm thinking it might be a wee bit drastic. However I WANT a change in my colour. Obviously it'd be done professionally; I'd not be able to forgive myself if L'Oreal buggered it up. :mad:

Any ideas/tips/suggestions/"Don't do it Becky"?

Comments

• Options
    I'm exactly the same as you and went dark brown last year and I've never looked better. I say go for it.
  • Options
    I remember seeing a girl in me hairdressers were she was blonde on top and red underneath which I thought was really nice, especially when you got to put your up and see the red underneath.

Brown, would be good as well; just would you mind the hassle in doing your roots all the time?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    I remember seeing a girl in me hairdressers were she was blonde on top and red underneath which I thought was really nice, especially when you got to put your up and see the red underneath.
    this is my number 1 pet hate. it looks like someone dropped some bleach on their head and didnt rub it in.

go for it, as long as your eyebrows are brownish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    this is my number 1 pet hate. it looks like someone dropped some bleach on their head and didnt rub it in.

go for it, as long as your eyebrows are brownish.
    That's MY pet hate - people changing their hair colour, and forgetting their eyebrows. Take Britanny Murphy for example, dark hair, dark eyes, dark eyebrows - then goes blonde and blondes her eyebrows to match - it looks completely fake. Kat Deeley also - from brown to blonde, forgetting the eyebrows... Need I go on!?

So go for it, as long as you don't neglect the eyebrows!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    I'm a natural blonde & dyed my hair brown a while ago. Problem was, I was quite a light blonde so when I tried to dye it box-brown, it went a shit grey sort of colour & it looked revolting. So Tip 1 - get it done professionally.

Also, if you don't like it & want to get it back to a nice blonde again then it's hella difficult. It was alright for me because you could hardly call my hair brown anyway, it was just a veryvery dark blonde come grey. Yuck.
    So if you find you don't like it, you might have to end up bleaching it. If you do this, Tip 2- I suggest you go to a shop where they sell products for hairdressers and mix the dye up yourself because it's so much cheaper this way & when I did it, the colour was boss.

Another thing.. when I was a brunette I felt properly boring & less attractive compared to when I was a blonde. I found I attracted more flies than I did men.
    But this possibly had to do with the fact I live in Belgium & there aren't too many blondes round here! When I went to the UK, every other girl was a blonde & I didn't feel so original anymore. It made me feel kind of tacky & just another clone, really. The amount of blondes I see in England makes me feel ill. :S

But anyway, brunette - yes. Why the hell not. I don't really understand why people hesitate so much before dyeing their hair because you never know until you do it & even if it does turn out to be a complete disaster, it's not the end of the world! You've got the bleach to run to, anyway. ;)

PS. But OMG, do not touch your eyebrows!! I can definitely see that going wrong. Don't try to dye them - please! If you're going from blonde to brown then that's fine because you can just use an eyebrow pencil or even some eyeshadow to make them look a bit darker. And I've seen girls going from brown to blonde who have attempted to dye their brows and it looks stoopid. You're supposed to have a darker eyebrows anyway. As long as you keep them tidy, then you'll look fine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lea_uk
    I'm exactly the same as you and went dark brown last year and I've never looked better.

:yes:
  • Options
    If you want to dye it brown, then you should. You seem pretty sure of it in yourself, which is a good thing. If you are a bit hesitant, you could try dying it more gradually, say getting a few low-lights put in so you get used to it a bit more and it's not quite so drastic. Good luck with the whole thing anyway, but it's blonde alllll they way babyyy! ;)
  • Options
    I did this, I got sick of having blonde hair and dyed it purple but that was a bit drastic. I now have brown hair though and it looks good. I'm starting to wish I had my blonde hair back now though. :( lol
  • Options
    no i wouldnt do it, ive had my hair black underneath for a while now and really miss being all over blonde i just think blonde looks so amazing on girls (not crap blonde like 'im really ginger/brunnete ill get it bleached with no thoughts as to my re growth' im gradually lightening my hair underneath but its gonna take forever to get it back to the way it was :(

dont do it!!! blondes are amazing!
  • Options
    I think if you want to change your air color to something drastic, do it, just make sure it goes out with hair wash...
  • Options
    to be blunt, i think what most former blondes miss most when they dye their hair dark is that long blonde hair goes a long way towards making up for a face like a slapped arse.

i think you have to have a nicer face to be thought of as pretty with darker hair.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    to be blunt, i think what most former blondes miss most when they dye their hair dark is that long blonde hair goes a long way towards making up for a face like a slapped arse.

ROFL! Don't hold back now Kaff just tell us what you really think! :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    ROFL! Don't hold back now Kaff just tell us what you really think! :lol:

you know i always do :)
  • Options
    I personally go for brunettes more than blondes, and especially think girls who have light eyes who dye their hair darker look stunning.

GO FOR IT!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    That's MY pet hate - people changing their hair colour, and forgetting their eyebrows. Take Britanny Murphy for example, dark hair, dark eyes, dark eyebrows - then goes blonde and blondes her eyebrows to match - it looks completely fake. Kat Deeley also - from brown to blonde, forgetting the eyebrows... Need I go on!?

So go for it, as long as you don't neglect the eyebrows!!

Ilora x

what? did i read that wrong? You are pissed cos Britanny Murphy DID dye her eyebrows, but you are also pissed cos Cat Deeley DIDNT dye them? What are you meant to do then?? :eek2:
  • Options
    I just think that she went overboard with the blonde - she's naturally very dark and her dark brown eyes clash with the blonde eyebrows - it would've looked more natural if she dyed them a lighter brown rather than bright blonde.

I think there's a middleground where you can fake your colour, but fake it naturally!

Ilora x
  • Options
    im a dark blonde, but dyed my hair a warm chocy brown with chunky blond streaks and it looks fab!
    after dying my hair a light blonde for many years[with a few spells of red] the roots grew back to make my hair look crap.
    but with the warm brown the roots arent as noticable.
    I got mine done professionaly though[after a few disasters with DIY dying] which cost a bit...
  • Options
    brunette is uber sexy. I do agree with whoever said that blonde hair makes up for a multitude of sins, but if youve got a reasonably pretty face, then dark brunette is more striking and more unusual these days.
    All I see around town is blondes and highlighted hair, or that awful hair thats half blonde with brown underneath - who invented that? It looks like a wig.
    Platinum blonde can look quite cool, but its sooooo high maintenance, that its not worth it for most people.
    glossy brown hair is lovely.
  • Options
    i just seen Zoe Lucker, or Tanya Turner from footballers wives in OK with her new brown hair, an she looks lovely. i say go for it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I just think that she went overboard with the blonde - she's naturally very dark and her dark brown eyes clash with the blonde eyebrows - it would've looked more natural if she dyed them a lighter brown rather than bright blonde.

I think there's a middleground where you can fake your colour, but fake it naturally!

Ilora x

Actually I see a lot of natural blondes who's eyebrows are so lightly coloured (Naturally) it looks like they have no eyebrows at all, they should definetly darken their eyebrows to enhance their eyes
  • Options
    I have naturally dark blonde hair, very fair skin and blue eye, but ive dyed it blond, all over and highlighted, for years. But got bored of it and dyed it brown.
    I did it myself. I let the highlights grow out for a while then dyed it 'dark blonde'. very similar to my natural colour. Then i did it again a little while later with a chocolate coloured nicky clarke semi permanent dye.
    Everybody said it looks so much nicer than when it was blond.