Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

thinktank proposes new income tax and inheritance tax system

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I think anyone who can afford to avoid paying tax will do so. It's regrettable, but I don't condemn them for it- I'd so the same, to tell the truth.

Tax is a necessary evil, but tax is theft.

Careful now you are beginging to sound like certain posters around here. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Careful now you are beginging to sound like certain posters around here. ;)

And? :razz:

Tax is theft. The Government hasn't earned the money I have to give to it, it has just demanded it, leeching off my labour.

It is necessary for taxation to be levied, in order to fund the state's activities, but it doesn't stop it being theft. And when the state wastes that money it has stolen money from every single citizen- not that someone like Blair, who doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the word "moral", could care less.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Yes there is a problem with people placing money/firms/themselves overseas, but it's a sign that taxation is not ideal and doesn't pay off for the high end of the earners, so why should they bother?
    Many other things are not ideal. Such as, for instance, the owner of a multinational or media empire being worth hundreds of millions while the tens of thousands of floor workers that make his business happen get paid paltry sums.

The fact is the ONLY reason people go offshore is because of greed. Paying proper taxes (and let's remind ourselves that taxes are applied on profits, and high taxes are only applied above certain amounts) does not have a real negative effect on the lives of people worth tens of millions of Pounds- let alone billionaires. Those who go offshoring and who exploit every loophole in the book to avoid paying as much tax as possible do so out of pure undiluted greed, not out of necessity.

Needless to say, it adds insult to injury when a tax-dodging foreigner who thinks nothing of cheating a country of millions of Pounds believes he has the right to decide how the country should be run and uses his media empire to blackmail and manipulate successive governments and try to bring down rival media outlets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Many other things are not ideal. Such as, for instance, the owner of a multinational or media empire being worth hundreds of millions while the tens of thousands of floor workers that make his business happen get paid paltry sums.

Paltry sums? I know somebody who works for Sky installing satellite dishes. He used to work for the Royal Mail and since moving to work for Sky earns a lot more. So I have no idea where you are coming from there. Why do you make things up Aladdin? Or will you post proof about the low wages paid for by Murdoch’s companies? And Aladdin, if Murdoch paid his ‘floor workers’ poorly don’t you think they’d leave? Nobody forces them to stay. Anyway if you knew anyone who worked for Sky you’d know they are treated quite well.

Needless to say, it adds insult to injury when a tax-dodging foreigner
    How is his nationality in anyway relevant?
    who thinks nothing of cheating a country of millions of Pounds believes he has the right to decide how the country should be run and uses his media empire to blackmail and manipulate successive governments and try to bring down rival media outlets.
    Well you’re talking about the Sun here. Yes, it pushes an agenda but no more so than the Mirror really. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. By the way Aladdin, would you have stopped using this forum if TheSite had became Sky's Make it Big charity partner? (Unfortunately TheSite didn’t win).
  • Options
    Paltry sums? I know somebody who works for Sky installing satellite dishes. He used to work for the Royal Mail and since moving to work for Sky earns a lot more. So I have no idea where you are coming from there. Why do you make things up Aladdin? Or will you post proof about the low wages paid for by Murdoch’s companies? And Aladdin, if Murdoch paid his ‘floor workers’ poorly don’t you think they’d leave? Nobody forces them to stay. Anyway if you knew anyone who worked for Sky you’d know they are treated quite well.
    Does your Sky dish installer get paid nearly 6-figure salary plus 6-figure bonues?

Because the directors sure as hell do.

I'd recommend you get into the habit of reading the 'Street of Shame' section on Private Eye and then come again and tell me how well treated and paid the Murdoch minions are. Especially those at the Scum and the News of the Screws.
    How is his nationality in anyway relevant?
    It is when an Australian-born US citizen who doesn't live in this country, wouldn't have a right to vote in a general election even if he lived here anyway, and who pays ludicrously low taxes believes it is perfectly okay to blackmail governments into how to run the country, how many asylum seekers to accept and whether we should join the euro.

Spot the supreme hypocrisy of it?
    Well you’re talking about the Sun here. Yes, it pushes an agenda but no more so than the Mirror really. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. By the way Aladdin, would you have stopped using this forum if TheSite had became Sky's Make it Big charity partner? (Unfortunately TheSite didn’t win).
    No more than the Mirror? Perhaps though I doubt it. Then again the Mirror isn't in the business of publishing material bordering on the racist, homophobic and europhobic on a regular basis. And all to reflect the distorted and disturbed views of its proprietor.
  • Options
    Anyway, do you actually have anything to say about the issue at hand, namely taxes and how they affect the very rich?
  • Options
    Does your Sky dish installer get paid nearly 6-figure salary plus 6-figure bonues?

Because the directors sure as hell do.

Aladdin, are you seriously saying that you believe Sky should pay it’s installers who are doing an effectively manual job the same as company directors?

Do you think postmen should get the same as Adam Crozier at the Royal Mail? Do you think cleaners in Parliament should get paid the same as MP’s?

Okay, maybe it’s not fair but what’s the alternative? Communism?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Okay, maybe it’s not fair but what’s the alternative? Communism?

Actually, communism is the alternative, and if you care to study the principal you'll note it's not such a bad system. Every so-called communist country in history and current existance isn't in fact adhering to communist ideals.
  • Options
    Anyway, do you actually have anything to say about the issue at hand, namely taxes and how they affect the very rich?

I think it’s unfair how it seems people who are categorised as middle class end up paying far greater proportions of their income in tax compared to the very rich. But, as the rich will always avoid taxes if a higher rate were charged it’s not feasible to increase taxes for the rich. It’s also worth remembering the vast number of people employed by rich people like Rupert Murdoch, Richard Branson, Stelios, etc.
  • Options
    Not the same, but it certainly could be a little better shared.

Bearing in mind that when the time comes to freeze pay rises the only people affected are the workers. Directors everywhere continue to award themselves 40% rises and 6-figure bonuses even when the company has recorded losses. And 'golden hellos'. And 'golden goodbyes'. And many other perks that the common worker can only dream of.
  • Options
    I would remind you, Aladdin, that the huge pay rises are rare, and grossly over-publicised.

Did the British Airways board get any publicity when they voted down a pay rise because of the financial contraints? That'd be a no, then.

Communism is not an alternative, fiend, because the current Communist states are adhering to communist ideals. Marx himself argues for a violent overthrowing of the rich- anyone who believes in communism believes that it is right to brutally kill any person who disagrees.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I've just been told, that (because Labour want to raise their 'share') if my father dies after he retires (before is financially ok, because of the job insurance and benefits) I will be left with a £125000, yes, look at all those zeros, One Hundred and Twenty Five Thousand pound tax bill, 50% of the taxable £250000 of the worth of our house. Because of inheritance tax and because of how much our house is worth due to market rises, before I'm 30 I am liable to be landed with a quarter million pound tax bill

the tax rate is 40% on all inheritance above £263,000 currently, and doing my sums its worth £263,000 + £312,500 = £575,500 your dads property as a whole

you'll still have £450,500 left over ;)

to be fair though, inheritance tax threshohld should have been linked mainly to overall house price inflation, and im not gonna calculate that, but it should be in region of at least over £600,000 - which in my opinion, inheritance tax should be on cause it doesnt screw over average house owers

tax is a necessery evil, and well inheritance is the most meritocratic as it takes from the dead rich and puts back into everyone

and bout the vote labour out part, they 're the lesser of 2 evils so why does noone agree that they should be reduced to about a 10MP majority in house of commons so we can get some real policy
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    well inheritance is the most meritocratic as it takes from the dead rich and puts back into everyone

It's the tax equivalent of grave robbing.

What they don't get off you when you're alive they nab when you're dead.
  • Options
    lol nice analagy kermit but its the most meritocratic still, as the relatives dont DESERVE it as such.....

the amount of wealth required to have it kick in, should be raised a lot though cause it should take but not so much theres the possibility the recipients might not be able to get a place themselves