Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Taking photos of family and friends to uni...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, so I'm trying to get down a list of what I need to take with me to uni when I move into the halls. I know people always say they take photos of friends and family but I don't wanna come back to my room after a stressful day of assignments and find photos of friends and family sitting there making me feel like I want to be back home. Maybe I'm just being cold hearted but I'd rather just leave them behind during term (I dont mean totally, I'll still call them and stuff) and start a new life.

Am I just being cold or does anyone else feel the same?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well to be honest it is up to you, there is no rule to say you have to take photos. Lots of people just buy a few posters or bring items from home to personalise their rooms a bit.

On the other hand you don't have to see uni as a completely different life from home. When I was at Uni even though I was at totally different ends of the country both lifes ran along side each other. I liked the fact I had photos to show people of my friends and family, however, there is no need to go overboard making you homesick. Just do what you feel is right, you can always get things sent to you or go back and pick stuff up later in the term.
    Re: Taking photos of family and friends to uni...
    Originally posted by Songbird
    Ok, so I'm trying to get down a list of what I need to take with me to uni when I move into the halls. I know people always say they take photos of friends and family but I don't wanna come back to my room after a stressful day of assignments and find photos of friends and family sitting there making me feel like I want to be back home. Maybe I'm just being cold hearted but I'd rather just leave them behind during term (I dont mean totally, I'll still call them and stuff) and start a new life.

Am I just being cold or does anyone else feel the same?

Nah I know what you mean mate, the same thing has crossed my mind. I think initially, when we're most likely to be homesick, that it may not be a good idea to have a lot of photos and stuff. We can always lift the phone and our parents will talk to us whenever we need etc. Once we're settled in and have totally adjusted, then I guess we will find it easier to be reminded of home. Personally it's not a case of leaving it behind or 'starting a new life', but I empathise with the homesickness aspect initially.
    im the complete opposite, i need things of the people i love around me or id go crazy, my rooms covered in photos. i can see your point though
    take photos in a photo album instead then, because then you can just look through them when you get the urge, without having them plastered on your walls. Id recommend taking some photos definitely. It helps when youre missing someone.
    you don't have to take photo's, it's not a rule. perhaps don't put them on your walls and put them in a drawer or something so you can look at them when you know you can do so without getting upset.

i've bought a big frame and put loads of pictures in it, thing is i've no where to hang it!
    I know what you mean. Although I don't think I would have even thought about taking photos with me until I heard people mention it on here. I must be totally cold-hearted or something!
    I mean I know what my family look like and stuff..I don't really have a need for photos of them around me. Maybe it's something to do with not living at home anyway. Perhaps if I did then I might feel the need to take sentimental shit with me to uni.
    Take them. You don't have to put them up and you can keep them in the drawer and get them out when you wanna look.