Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Policing American style

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    About six months ago, about instituional racism.

No I didn't see it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I'm a CSO, not a PC. I may have some power but I certainly don't abuse it and I certainly don't walk around thinking I'm better than everyone because I have a uniform on.

We're around to keep the peace, and we do a good job. I get on well with everyone I come across and so far I've recieved a positive reaction.
    Being accused of letting the power go to my head or being a tinpot Hitler is not something that I've ever had.
    you've earned my respect whosit ...i talk to the cso's in my area on a near daily basis and they are cracking lads and lasses.
    if you looked over your posts on this board or anyone else was to check them out ...big changes!
    i hope your thinking of making a carear out of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    I've lived in the nottingham area for 3 years now and have come across only two decent policemen, the rest have been a waste of space and I've had quite a few dealings with police in my area for different reasons.

I've lived for 21 years and come across very few non decent police officers.
    maybe you should try to avoid having so many 'dealings' with them in the future.
  • Options
    I don't know but I'm also sick of the institutional racism in the police force, especially in the town I live. :mad:

The police are making more effort than ever to stamp out institutional racism, this kind of thing takes years to solve, not months, no matter how much effort is put in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I've lived for 21 years and come across very few non decent police officers.
    maybe you should try to avoid having so many 'dealings' with them in the future.

You have no idea what I mean by 'dealings' so who says I can avoid them. I don't mean that I've been in trouble with the police either.
  • Options
    They have guns at parliament, airports and outside royal residences.

There are armed response units for when they're needed. But officers here just don't need guns. They've got nightsticks and mace.

Some forces also have tasers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sniper666
    Some forces also have tasers.

Only as a pilot, and they are only used by officers who are already armed.
    Strikes me as pointless, considering they already have guns.
    If you already have access to a firearm then a taser is a poor substitute.
  • Options
    Only as a pilot, and they are only used by officers who are already armed.
    Strikes me as pointless, considering they already have guns.
    If you already have access to a firearm then a taser is a poor substitute.

That does seem pretty pointless then
  • Options
    It's because the head honchos are frightened to kill the nasty gun wielding maniacs in case they get sued.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting someone waving a gun at people.
    Others disagree.
  • Options
    It's because the head honchos are frightened to kill the nasty gun wielding maniacs in case they get sued.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting someone waving a gun at people.
    Others disagree.

Depends whether you mean shooting to kill or just shooting to disarm him.
  • Options
    American Police don't police with the consent of the public.
    They rely heavily on enforcement and scare tactics to enforce the will of the government.

British police and European police in general are the exact opposite.
    We police with the consent of the population, we concentrate more on community issues and ensure that everyone to the best of our ability is treated fairly.

There is no point shouting orders at people. It doesn't work in this country, and it never has.
    How many times have you had an officer come over shouting at you and you've thought or said "fuck off you pig".
    What if the same officer came over, took you over the street and had a quiet word with you, asking you politely to improve your behaviour/comply with a request or you will be arrested/reported?
    When a person is spoken to quietly, it defuses any situation and gives that person little excuse to kick up a fuss. So many times I've seen typical yobs arrested where they've just been told to stick their arms behind their back and they've complied. Can you imagine the same situation in the USA? Same person would be dragged to the ground and had guns pointed at them.

It's been proven ever since the days of Robert Peel that British police work better with a community than against a community. Why do you think they've sent British cops over to Iraq to train the new police force? Because if they sent Yanks over there would be no police force, they would have been executed by the gang lords in no time.

bit late, i get what your saying overall, but what do you mean they police with the consent of people whilst in usa they dont
  • Options
    Depends whether you mean shooting to kill or just shooting to disarm him.

If they are waving a gun around then shooting to disarm is what would be used. If they have a hostage and have the gun pointed at them or are pointing the gun at police then they should shoot to kill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sniper666
    If they are waving a gun around then shooting to disarm is what would be used. If they have a hostage and have the gun pointed at them or are pointing the gun at police then they should shoot to kill.

I think she meant whether to use a tazer or not. Tazers can also be used when someone is armed with a knife or other non-projectile but dangerous weapon.
  • Options
    I think she meant whether to use a tazer or not. Tazers can also be used when someone is armed with a knife or other non-projectile but dangerous weapon.

No I meant, whether they'd be shooting at them to disarm or to kill.