Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shared Rooms At Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I got my accomidation information from my soon to be uni (Exeter) this morning. Even though I applied for single rooms, I have been put in a shared room. I have already phoned the uni but they reckon its unlikely there will be any other places for me to go and have a single room.

I am fairly uncomfortable about having to share you see, i just feel as if I will have no privacy. And I wont be able to do my own thing. Someone will be there most of the time. I just, I just dont think I could put up with it that well. :(

Can anyone give me any advice how to deal with the situation? I mean what if the person I end up sharing with is someone I dont get on with?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i was too late to live in halls, so am living in a house for my first year. i didn't like the idea of it at first but now i'm really looking forward to it. could that be an option?
    i can imagine it would be pretty disgusting if the other person started shagging with u in the same room-or vice verser

i dunno, i'd hate to have to share. I reckon you should look for a house like someone else said.at least you would have your own room, and its normally cheaper to live off campus
    The thing is I am going catered as I am not sure if i could totally cook for myself. I dont like the idea of living off campus either because surely in order to have a better chance of meeting people I would be better off in one of the halls?

I guess I can just hope some rooms come available
    in some ways the idea of uni is to teach you how to fend for yourself in a variety of ways.

less you go and get looked after in the army all your life, you'll have to do it yourself some day, why not start earlier?

you will meet plenty of people at uni, whether at or off campus.

these other rooms, where are they? are they in self catered flats or what?
    hey you know what, see what the other person is like and if they turn out to e an arsehole or something, your not being forced to stay there. Most unis will swap people around if they are not happy. and theres always people advertising spare rooms in houses.
    Poor you :(

From what I hear though, most people say that they never used the catering as it was gross food, or the food was there at a specific time, and if they weren't in then it was just tough luck.

Personally I'd rather get a private room without catering, than a shared one with.
    I have to say that my brother who's just completed his first year at exeter said the food wasnt all that bad. he stayed in hope. slightly irrelevant but just thought i'd share.
    Shared rooms are a pain in the arse, but they aren't that bad, all in all.

I had one in first year at Durham, and it was alright. The roomie was a bit of a nutter, and he thought the same of me, but it wasn't too horrific.

You could try contacting the university and say that you have a sleeping problem, and you feel it would be unfair for someone to have to share with you. But other than that you will justy have to grin and bear it, at least for a few weeks. It's a good way of making an instant friend, unless he's a prick.

If you don't get a discounted room rate for sharing I would play hell with them. They don't discount at Durham and the only reason why I didn't play hell was because I got an ensuite room instead of a normal one.
    You might get lucky, and your roommate could be a nice girl :p This situation might turn out in your favour though, as you might end up good friends with the person you're sharing with. Might be helpful to agree on a no-shagging rule if the other person is in the other room. The worst that can happen is that you disagree on everything, or the roomie is a dishonest thief. Then you can beg your uni to move you, but i'd give the sharing a go in the first instance.
    Hmm. Well it wouldn't be my cup of tea to be honest, but I think it most likely go by pretty quickly anyway.

At the end of the day, it should be tolerable - so long as the person doesn't snore really badly constantly :p
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    The thing is I am going catered as I am not sure if i could totally cook for myself. I dont like the idea of living off campus either because surely in order to have a better chance of meeting people I would be better off in one of the halls?

I guess I can just hope some rooms come available

Yeh, that's something that I think i'll miss about halls - it's a bit more sociable. However from what I know, you only really properly get to know the people you live with or near too.
    You could try this...
    Thanks everyone. If I go into the other halls they are on a much smaller campus (full of medical students) about 2 or 3 miles from the main campus and all the facilities, I just think it would be inconvenient, plus I wouldnt be living on the main campus so it would be harder to make friends.

Urg I had to share a room with my dad last night staying at a relatives, he is a noisy sleeper and I hardly slept. I do have real trouble getting to sleep and Im quite a light sleeper also. I dont want to have to be tired all the time.

Also it just would feel weird someone else having access to all my stuff :(
    Don't worry
    Exeter is such a great place, sharing a room won't put a dampener on it!
    I've just finished my first year there and I know a couple of people for whom sharing a room worked out really well.
    You have to have the preliminary discussion of "look, we're gonna have to share but it'll be okay if we respect each other"
    Ask questions like:-
    - how do you want to decorate our room?
    - do you like to get up early or lie in?
    - do you like the lights off when you go to sleep or are you okay with a lamp on?
    - how many nights a week do you like to go out?
    - when do you study best?
    - what music do you like?
    - if you want some time alone, what signal should we use?
    - which items of yours are borrowable if necessary (e.g. a pen from your desk drawer) and which areas of your room are totally off limits?

Consider investing in a lockable box/container for any personal possessions you'd like to keep private.
    Also remember headphones so you can still enjoy your music and/or television whilst your roomie is sleeping/working.
    Halls are noisy no matter what - invest in a sleeping mask so even if your roomie comes in and turns the light on you won't be disturbed, and several pairs of earplugs.
    Thanks, sounds like good advice.

By the way I appreciate the way that some of you think i am capable of getting a girl back to the room. :p
    By the way I appreciate the way that some of you think i am capable of getting a girl back to the room. :p

Perhaps they were thinking of the person you'd be sharing with bringing someone back ;)
    I have been looking over all these forms and things this afternoon, and the accomidation offer letter has some interesting wording:

The fee for 2004/2005 will be £ XXXX for the period stated in the agreement and is for a Twin EnSuite room. All rooms are for single occupancy unless otherwise stated.

Now on the letter it doesn't mention anywhere about me sharing a room with someone else, and elsewhere they say people do end up living in the twin rooms on their own. So maybe I am on my own in there? If im really lucky? I guess I will only find out when I go on the 26th.
    That would be cool, twin room to yourself! At least you got halls though, I was rejected by all 5 that I applied to :(
    Well it seems that i am paying for sharing a room from what it seems...argh this is so confusing.
    I have been looking over all these forms and things this afternoon, and the accomidation offer letter has some interesting wording:

The fee for 2004/2005 will be £ XXXX for the period stated in the agreement and is for a Twin EnSuite room. All rooms are for single occupancy unless otherwise stated.

Now on the letter it doesn't mention anywhere about me sharing a room with someone else, and elsewhere they say people do end up living in the twin rooms on their own. So maybe I am on my own in there? If im really lucky? I guess I will only find out when I go on the 26th.

It has stated, in the phrase "TWIN ensuite" that you ARE sharing. Hope hall is SERIOUSLY oversubscribed - they would not, under any cirumstances, leave a bed unfilled.
    Originally posted by Kath2003
    It has stated, in the phrase "TWIN ensuite" that you ARE sharing. Hope hall is SERIOUSLY oversubscribed - they would not, under any cirumstances, leave a bed unfilled.

I knew it was a long shot but I had my hope. I'll just try not to think about it in the meantime.
    You'll have to let us all know what happens!
    Originally posted by Kate1
    You'll have to let us all know what happens!

Yes, but I'm sure i'll be too busy the first week or so to remember :p
    Originally posted by Kath2003

No it's not.
    All rooms are for single occupancy unless otherwise stated.

If they say that and it has not been explicitly said in Renzo's agreement that it is to share a room, then they are breaking their side of the agreement.

It would be more likely that it's two rooms joining one bathroom.

I've never known anywhere in this country where you share a room, but I've not been in halls :p
    L'boro uni have shared rooms in some halls. so do Durham, I think.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    L'boro uni have shared rooms in some halls. so do Durham, I think.

as do st andrews. however, from what renzo has quoted from his accommodation stuff i would be very surprised if he is not in a room of his own. i think it meant that he would have to share a bathroom with another person, not a room as mist has pointed out it said "all rooms are single occupancy"

someone said this:

in one of the halls of residence in edinburgh they have 2 beds per room but they are still single rooms. i dont understand the logic but thats what they have.
    well i lasted 7months with a complete wanker of a roommate, people in my halls couldnt even deal with him for a little while, whingy little sod, get used to ignoring it though

like WHO PUTS ANTISEPTIC IN WITH THEIR WASHING!?
    All Rooms are for single occupancy unless otherwise stated

This means that you, and only you, are allowed to occupy the room under the tenancy agreement. Thus, you are not allowed to move someone else in, such as a GF, relative, or other 3rd party into the room.

It has nothing to do with whether you are in a twin room or not. As stated in your accomodation letter, you are in a Twin room in Hope Hall, and I know that there is no chance that you will be on your own, as aformentioned, the hall is heavily oversubscribed.

Atleast you do get a much bigger room, and ensuite. Plus, Hope is extremely nice accomodation, with good food and great staff (ok ok I'm slightly biased on that one ). You can ask Hospitality Services to move you, but from recollection, only after the first two weeks. And you are likely to end up somewhere thats far worse in terms of accomodation than Hope (heard of Duryard?)

If you think how you've ended up is bad, imagine being stuck in Duryard (now the oldest, and worst) halls, in a twin room. Happened to a friend of mine last year.
    Originally posted by Pheo
    This means that you, and only you, are allowed to occupy the room under the tenancy agreement. Thus, you are not allowed to move someone else in, such as a GF, relative, or other 3rd party into the room.

It has nothing to do with whether you are in a twin room or not. As stated in your accomodation letter, you are in a Twin room in Hope Hall, and I know that there is no chance that you will be on your own, as aformentioned, the hall is heavily oversubscribed.

Atleast you do get a much bigger room, and ensuite. Plus, Hope is extremely nice accomodation, with good food and great staff (ok ok I'm slightly biased on that one ). You can ask Hospitality Services to move you, but from recollection, only after the first two weeks. And you are likely to end up somewhere thats far worse in terms of accomodation than Hope (heard of Duryard?)

If you think how you've ended up is bad, imagine being stuck in Duryard (now the oldest, and worst) halls, in a twin room. Happened to a friend of mine last year.

Yeah it could have been worse, I've got an ensuite room in my chosen hall. I just hope my potential roomy is alright, and isn't a loud sleeper :p I had the thought last night though, i guess my roommate could end up being someone i vaguely know from school if the coincidence is weird enough, because i do know *of* a few people going to Exeter...
    Originally posted by Pheo
    This means that you, and only you, are allowed to occupy the room under the tenancy agreement. .

Hmm. Well if someone told me that I was going into a "single occupancy" room and it turned out that there was someone else in it there would be hell to pay.