Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sentients

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say if dolphins were one day proven to be as intelligent as humans. Should there be 'dolphin rights'?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wouldn't it just be covered under animal rights?
    Not necessarily.

Humans are animals too. It's just that we are 'more intelligent' and have more advanced abstract reasoning than other species (abstract meaning being able to see beyond concrete existence).

If other species were proven to have such abilities, then shouldn't they have equal rights to ours?
    The day they develop the same kinds of intelligences as us, then yes.

For all you know they could be (and probably are) more intelligent than us in some sense, but being that there are different intelligences, they haven't reached the same level as us.
    When they can think/speak/behave like we do, then yes give them their own dolphin constitution or whatever.

I feel so stupid talking about such stuff
    Re: Sentients
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Say if dolphins were one day proven to be as intelligent as humans. Should there be 'dolphin rights'?
    if that were to be proved kap'n ...they would have my sympathy.
    to be that inteligent and not have hands ...would be seriously depressing.
    No, human rights are there because we are human. Animal rights are there so we feel we are good to our underlings. If dolphins were as intelligent (ie a threat) to us then you can be sure bush and co would have them nuked, and then propaganda would make the clever dolphins out to be the culprits.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sometimes I think that dolphins are more intelligent than humans... The thought isn't that outrageous, if you think about it.
    humans are animals. don't try and say they are't, just because we are civilised and more intelligent than others doesn't detract form what we actually are, i'm proud to be an animal, are you?
    Actually I prefer being human!

This dolphin talk reminds me of the Simpsons when they find out that dolphins are actually super intelligent.....then they take over the world.

I've heard that they are quite intelligent anyway, and I know they are a protected species because of that.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    No, human rights are there because we are human. Animal rights are there so we feel we are good to our underlings. If dolphins were as intelligent (ie a threat) to us then you can be sure bush and co would have them nuked, and then propaganda would make the clever dolphins out to be the culprits.

Intelligence in dolphins doesn't equate with a 'threat' per se.

If Bush did do that it doesn't sound terribly 'Christian' to me!
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    The day they develop the same kinds of intelligences as us, then yes.

For all you know they could be (and probably are) more intelligent than us in some sense, but being that there are different intelligences, they haven't reached the same level as us.
    When they can think/speak/behave like we do, then yes give them their own dolphin constitution or whatever.

I feel so stupid talking about such stuff

sound so stoopid too! :p

nah really if a parrot could demand his rights then i am sure we could give them parrot rights rights

i do like the bit about a dolphin contitution :D
    just because dolphins can't build skyscrapers and schools etc doesn't mean they aren't more intelligent than us, humans have a very primative brain in fact, we just have the right body for us to develope as a society.
    Humans' brain is actually more complex than other species. Brain size doesn't necessarily denote intelligence, since elephants and blue whales have larger brains but they aren't necessarily more intelligence.
    No, dolphins would not have rights in a human society, in the same way humans would not have rights in a dolphin society.

Survival of the fittest would dictate that.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

Dolphins are incredibly intelligent creatures and do bear similarities to humans. For example they're the only other animal that has sex for pleasure, they're bullies and they can do a lot of things other animals can't.

And personally I think all animals should have more rights.