Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Easy recipes while being a poor student.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well not long now till i'm moving into my student accomdation which is self catering.

My cooking abilities are:
*following cooking instructions on packets of ready made items
*mash
*cooking sausages, bacon and such and such
*fried eggs
*toast
*jacket potato
*beans and peas etc

But this is all rather boring. All you students, what can i make while at uni which is easy and doesnt take a long time?

Any quick recipes would be great... so i wont starve :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    beans on toast!!!

try experimenting like pasta dishes, thats what i did and im still around. so dont worry about killing yourselveyou morethan likely wont ;)
  • Options
    chicken stirfry:
    you'll need,
    a chicken breast or two,
    some veg,
    a jar of sauce (or a little packet of sauce, the're great as you use the whole lot at once... I forget who makes them though) go for something like "blackbean and spring onion", or whatever takes your fancy!

some noodles.

heat some oil in a pan, add onions (red, white, sring, whatever)... cook for a bit.

add chopped up chicken, cook till it's good and white all over.

add other chopped vegetables, (ie, finely chopped carrots, pepper, purhaps corgette) and cook till the're starting to go a bit softer.

add jar of sauce

simmer till the vege is done to your liking.

now, while all of this is cooking, you'll need to cook the noodles as per the instructions at the same time. it doesnt matter if these are ready st, as you can drain them, and mix with the strifry to heat them up again :)

last step- eat and watch your jealous house mates!

for chicken curry, replace jar of sauce with jar of curry sauce, and noodles with rice ;)
  • Options
    Variations of chicken in a sauce are cheapest.

Take one or two chicken thighs, depending on size and appetite, and brown in a saucepan. Add a can of chopped tomatoes, a splash of red wine, and some vegetable gravy granules or stock cube. Add some chopped potatoes and carrots. Put a lid on it and allow to simmer for several hours, adding salt, pepper and basil to taste. A very tasty casserole.

Take one or two chicken thighs, and brown in a saucepan. Empty half a can of tomato pasta sauce into the pan, and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, adding red wine, basil, salt and pepper to taste. Whilst this is happening prepare a baked potato or some pasta, and then pour sauce and chicken over the carbs prepared.

A good meal would also be:
    boil 100-150g of pasta for ten minutes. Drain
    Add 2-3 teaspoons of pesto paste to the pasta.
    Grill 2-3 rashers of bacon, or 1 chicken breast fillet. Slice into pieces, and add to pasta.
  • Options
    yup or spagetti bolognaise

fry some mince without oil, put somewater onto boil

put pasta in boiling water

fry some onions and tomatos and maybe soem peppers or mushrooms

cook the mince, when thats done drain the fat off, add either a premade sauce or add tinned chopped tomato, and the vegetables you quickly fried and leave until it tastes great :p

add lots of cheese