Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Australia Boost Military Capability

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Down under are planning to spend a lot of cash on some new missiles (story here). Understandably their neighbours are a little concerned about this proposal, what I find odd is the quote below, they buy new weapons, because they're concerned about the proliferation.
In a joint statement, Canberra and Washington said they shared "deep concerns about the proliferation of ballistic missiles capable of carrying weapons of mass destruction".

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Last month, Australia agreed to work with the US, its closest ally, on a controversial missile defence shield.

And here's their reward then...

Another one of Bush's poodles jumping in the new arms race and scaremongering bandwagon.

Let's hope the Australian electorate gives Howard the same treatment the Spanish gave to one of Bush's other faithful servants, Jose Maria "Little Franco" Aznar and his neo-con government.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    And here's their reward then...

Another one of Bush's poodles jumping in the new arms race and scaremongering bandwagon.

Let's hope the Australian electorate gives Howard the same treatment the Spanish gave to one of Bush's other faithful servants, Jose Maria "Little Franco" Aznar and his neo-con government.

To be fair I'm not sure I see it quite like that mate. Australia hasn't been anyone's poodle for a while.
  • Options
    Howard has been.

He, Aznar and Blair form the 'Axis of Poodles' that has given unconditional (and completely uncalled for) support for Bush's crusades and general foreign policy against the wishes of many if not most of their citizens.

And in the case of the useless and pointless Missile Shield system, Howard is another participant just like Blair.

Well... unlike us who will get zero benefits from assisting with the running of the Shield, perhaps the Australians will at least be covered under its protective umbrella.

All in all, there have been few claims more unfounded and stupid as this nonsense about nations building ICBMs out of the blue and launching them against the West (effectively starting WWIII and the end of mankind). It's all utter bollocks and I can't believe a single person can take it seriously.
  • Options
    Don't forget the cold war mate. People took that seriously.
  • Options
    Yes, and there was good reason for it. But now?

The most serious "threat" would be that of North Korea. Frankly, can anyone think why would North Korea out of the blue decide to attack Australia or any other country? Kim Jong-il getting out of bed with bad indigestion and deciding to nuke a nation and start WWIII?

I think that if we were to assert who poses the biggest threat to the world based on something factual (such as track record of past and present unprovoked attacks), there is one clear name that comes to mind. And it ain't the Koreans.

This is all scare mongering tales to push Bush's agenda and to justify ever increasing defence budgets- and naturally to aid US arms manufacturers make some sweet deals with US' allies.

I just see the need for Australia to militarise itself in this way as justified as that of the Principality of Monaco.
  • Options
    The US really don't have a clue do they?

Bush is trying to keep them running scared, on the basis that frightened people don't think and therefore they won't notice that he can't.
  • Options
    Does Australia want nukes?

Well why should surrounding countries care? NZ is no 'enemy' of Oz. Neither are Papua New Guinea, East Timor, Indonesia, Solomon Islands or any other country near Oz!
  • Options
    It'll only be bringing it's military capability in line with the rest of the Western world.
    Europe and the US already have these weapons.
    And to be fair, Australia doesn't have a large army anyway. Indonesia could swarm the place with troops carrying primitive weapons. Australia needs to respond with fewer troops that have to be far better trained and equipped.
  • Options
    the way it's going i'm going to have to boost my militay capabilities ...have you seen those hunting catapults ...kill a man from 1/4 a mile away.
  • Options
    We put a hole in a fence with one of those, haha.
    They're bloody powerful.