Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Africa Problem?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I was just thinking the other day while watching coverage of Iraq if places like the Middle East and Africa will ever sort themselves out, when a young Iraqi starting shooting wildly in the air in celebration of another iraqis death.
    That scene summed up some of the feelings why I think a lot of the suffering these places won't end until the people sort out themselves.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by turlough
    i never thought of that myself, good point, do you yourself have any opinions on why Africa is in the state its in?
    I have some guesses… I think there are many reasons but I’d like to mention one. Western aid. Yes, not the lack of aid but the aid itself.
    Look here, if you pay for milk you get milk, if you pay for shoes you get shoes. So if you pay for poverty you get poverty. Western governments and international organisations give money to poor countries. Rulers of those countries know exactly- the longer we keep our people in poverty the more we get. I don’t say WMF and others are altruists but this is irrelevant. Those dictators have lots of tricks to dupe any well-intended western official.
    This is not just a theory. I was born in a poor country ( not African one but anyway) and I know that those money always get into pockets of top officials and their crony businesses. I know so disgusting cases it is hard to believe.
    Plus, this aid has some side effect people in developed countries aren‘t aware of. It raises anti-Western, anti-European, anti-American feelings. People of poor countries don’t know much about good intentions of common Westerners but they are not blind and they know what is happening in reality. And they think their governments and Western governments are the same mafia playing the same game.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    I have some guesses… I think there are many reasons but I’d like to mention one. Western aid. Yes, not the lack of aid but the aid itself.
    Look here, if you pay for milk you get milk, if you pay for shoes you get shoes. So if you pay for poverty you get poverty. Western governments and international organisations give money to poor countries. Rulers of those countries know exactly- the longer we keep our people in poverty the more we get. I don’t say WMF and others are altruists but this is irrelevant. Those dictators have lots of tricks to dupe any well-intended western official.
    This is not just a theory. I was born in a poor country ( not African one but anyway) and I know that those money always get into pockets of top officials and their crony businesses. I know so disgusting cases it is hard to believe.
    Plus, this aid has some side effect people in developed countries aren‘t aware of. It raises anti-Western, anti-European, anti-American feelings. People of poor countries don’t know much about good intentions of common Westerners but they are not blind and they know what is happening in reality. And they think their governments and Western governments are the same mafia playing the same game.
    lets get real here ...when was the last time the west GAVE ...aid?
    it is given with a lot of strings attatched ...they are forced in return to turn over some of their most productive land to grow luxury crops for us ...crops you can't eat.
    they are loaned money ...they rarely get anything for nothing. this crap that we just keep on giving is utter bollox.
    it more often than not suits our ends to keep corrupt millionaire scum in power amongst the peasants.
  • Options
    Check out that report I put up Rolly, you might find it interesting. Pgs 21-23 are what's really relevant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Check out that report I put up Rolly, you might find it interesting. Pgs 21-23 are what's really relevant.
    where?
  • Options
    4th post down, pg 2 on the thread.
  • Options
    4th post down, pg 2 on the thread.
    sorry but i haven't a clue which report your talking about ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    sorry but i haven't a clue which report your talking about ...

there's a link to a report from the world bank in my post, which is 4th down from the top of page two of the thread.
  • Options
    there's a link to a report from the world bank in my post, which is 4th down from the top of page two of the thread.
    whats the friggin thread called!
  • Options
    this thread mate. this one.
  • Options
    Didn’t Zimbabwe used to be the richest country in Africa? Now look at it. Sadly I think much of Africa will always be in poverty and an example of people suffering. I think that when the oil runs out many Middle Eastern countries will no doubt be in similar poverty to much of Africa.
  • Options
    this thread mate. this one.
    your on drugs ...how can i find page 21 in a five page thread?
    how come you youngsters get better weed than me!
  • Options
    oops ...kjust found it ...will go and have a read ...
  • Options

ok, try again. the link to the report is in the 4th post down, on page two of this thread. The relevant pages in the report are pgs 21-23.
  • Options

:lol:

my contribution.
  • Options
    ok, try again. the link to the report is in the 4th post down, on page two of this thread. The relevant pages in the report are pgs 21-23.
    i can see why beckyboo is laughing ...but she knows what friday nights are all about!
    can you maybe do a copy and paste job as to the bit thats relevant? ...come on ...it's indulgence night and i'm a bit oiled.
  • Options
    i can see why beckyboo is laughing ...but she knows what friday nights are all about!
    can you maybe do a copy and paste job as to the bit thats relevant? ...come on ...it's indulgence night and i'm a bit oiled.

it is three pages long mate!