Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scottish unis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, a simple thing that I've never quite understood.

Do you go to uni at 17 in Scotland?

That is all.

x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some do, some don't.

Most Scottish institutes offer an additional year for those applying straight from their Highers, which finish for most at 17. However, Advanced Highers are an alternative which finish at 18 and are much more preffered by the English unis.

To be honest, I think they should just change to A Levels ;).
    Thanksies! :)
    I went to uni at 17 having stayed on to do my advanced highers in 6th year. My 18th birthday was half way through my first year at uni.
    I knew a guy who started uni last year aged 16. He wasn't 17 until December. So it varies.
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    I went to uni at 17 having stayed on to do my advanced highers in 6th year. My 18th birthday was half way through my first year at uni.

same! I also started uni aged 17, after finishing 6th year at school and doing advanced highers. What Neil said is wrong. Sorry dude :p
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by draven
    same! I also started uni aged 17, after finishing 6th year at school and doing advanced highers. What Neil said is wrong. Sorry dude :p

me three :)

it depends on when your birthday falls.
    Originally posted by Neil
    Some do, some don't.

Most Scottish institutes offer an additional year for those applying straight from their Highers, which finish for most at 17. However, Advanced Highers are an alternative which finish at 18 and are much more preffered by the English unis.

To be honest, I think they should just change to A Levels ;).

Not quite accurate, you can technically leave for uni at the end of 5th year at 16/17. The vast majority go to uni after 6th year at 17/18.

Advanced Highers are not liked by English Uni's, to be honest they're a waste of time for most people.
    I know several people who've completed their Highers at 17 and are going onto uni. I must have been mistaken about the majority.

Still, the whole Higher system should be changed to A Levels ;).
    Originally posted by Neil
    I know several people who've completed their Highers at 17 and are going onto uni. I must have been mistaken about the majority.

Still, the whole Higher system should be changed to A Levels ;).

I went to uni at 17, i think it's about 60/40 in favour of people at 18 though.

The scottish education system works pretty well as it is...why not change a-levels to highers :p