Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni accomodation :\

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Err, well I applied to Uni's via UCAS, got all my offers back and accepted 1 as my firm choice and 1 as my insurance choice. I then decided I didn't want to go to uni and left it at that. So didn't send accomodation forms off or sort out my loan. However, yesterday I again decided I want to go.

I'll be able to sort my loan out (though might arrive a little late) but I've rang the accomodation people and I'd have to be living in a house for my first year. I'd really of liked to live in halls (though I realise it's unrealistic for me to do so as it's very late on) and am unsure what it'd be like living in a house for my first year.

I'm a bit worried that I'll end up sharing a house with people I don't even like. Yes, I know it'd be the same for student halls but you're not actually living in a house with them if you know what I mean.

If anyone has any advice or anything I'd be very greatful.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm in the same boat, I might have to go into private accommodation. I'm really worried, too. Let me know how things go for you. Where are you heading?
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I'm in the same boat, I might have to go into private accommodation. I'm really worried, too. Let me know how things go for you. Where are you heading?

Lincoln, I think! You?

I don't like the thought of living in a house.
    I doubt there is much differance between a house and student flat. The ones I have seen have all the same furniture, have the same fire alarm etc. The only differance is there is less people. It will be ok and you might as well "just live with it" as it's not THAT bad, in fact its not even bad at all. Less people = less noise at 3 am. I lived with 3000 other students, i don't mind noise at night, I make lot of noise myself but 3am, people singing outside your room can occasionally push you to far.

Bopz
    Have you thought about commuting, or do you definitely not want to stay at home? I know of two people who are off to Lincoln, but staying home for the first year.

What're you gonna be studying?
    I sort of share your worry, lol. I might be sharing my room in the halls with someone. It's got the number of the room and then 'A' so there could be someone else with 'B'. I don't particularly fancy sharing a small room with someone. I like my space...tho I suppose it'll force me to talk to people wether I want to or not which has got to be a good thing for freshers week.

But I'm sure you'll be fine in your house. You could always leave your name with the halls so if someone drops out you can take their place :)
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    when i went to uni i didnt stay in halls, i had a university flat. there were 5 of us and its similar to going into a house.

i had a blast. we had the most fun time ever and if you do end up in a house, you are all in the same boat, you are all freshers and im sure you will be fine there too :)
    Finally got my course sorted and accomdation sorted in halls... but my move in date is the 1st september but enrolment starts on the 20th.... whats that all about. Doesnt take 20 days to settle in i dont think.:eek2:
    Changed your mind AGAIN ;)?
    not going into halls

One of my best friends at University was in a similar situation to you and was put in a house in her first year. There were a couple of people in the house she didn't really like but there was also three girls that she ended up living with for all three years and is still really good friends with. After all, the university year is only about six months so you don't really have to put up with anyone for too long and after a year you can always move out. You get to know loads of people on your course and also if you join clubs. Lots of people leave university in the first term so if you keep in touch with the accomodation office they might be able to get you a late place a few weeks into term if you aren't happy.
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    You?
    UCL
    I lived in a University village last year, with houses of 6 people (200 people in total) and it was okay. Got stuck with 2 24-year old international students, a 22 year old international student, a 25 year old post grad and another fresher tho.:eek2:
    I hated halls, and much prefered living in a house!
    Remember that there is always the option of moving out if you're unhappy with one particular situation. It would be a lot of hassle, but the pros and cons would have to be something you'd work out in that given situation... if you were that unhappy, no amount of moving stress would be much of a problem. Songbird and Luci are right, leaving your name with uni halls is a good idea if you have your heart set on halls, lots of people do drop out, so rooms do become available...
    However, don't arrive believing that you won't like living in a house, because then you're setting yourself up not to like it, however good it may turn out to be. I really wanted to go to halls, but it turned out that a house suited me much better. Good luck!
    Originally posted by Neil
    Changed your mind AGAIN ;)?

Yeh, I have to be awkward! :(
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Have you thought about commuting, or do you definitely not want to stay at home? I know of two people who are off to Lincoln, but staying home for the first year.

What're you gonna be studying?

Nah, I don't think I'd like to commute. It's been suggested to me a few times. I'm gonna have to do it at some point so I may aswell do it now and get to know more people and the area etc.

I'm gonna be studying Criminology and Social Policy.
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Yeh, I have to be awkward! :(
    LOL, at least you're going to uni this year :D!

Some people have all the luck.
    LOL, at least you're going to uni this year :D!

Some people have all the luck.

Hardly, I could've decided earlier!

My freshers week starts on 20th Sept, so just under a month to prepare. My loan will be quite late too.
    boh!

you'll have a great time :)
    Originally posted by MrG
    boh!

you'll have a great time :)

Aslong as I can find somewhere to live. ;)
    Staying in a house sounds fine, at least it's somewhere. It could even be a better alternative to halls!

Enjoy your uni experience, keep me updated.

Oh, and don't worry about leaving it late! Clearing is there to help students like yourself.
    Staying in a house sounds fine, at least it's somewhere. It could even be a better alternative to halls!

Enjoy your uni experience, keep me updated.

Oh, and don't worry about leaving it late! Clearing is there to help students like yourself.

I'm not going through clearing, :p but yes I see your point! There are people worse off than me. Aslong as I have a nice room.

Got the LEA form today. Niiiicce.
    I've got a house. :D