Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Painkiller Leftovers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Almost a year a go I took an overdose of fifty paracetamol tablets and survived, thanks to endless injections and drip fluids.
I feel a lot more with my self now, mentally, but I'm worried about the state of my liver.
Do you think I am damaged permanatly? I.e. residue of drugs in my stomach and liver.. Or do you think my body has flushed it all out?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why don't you ask a doctor?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hello EyeCee, glad to hear you are feeling better. I did a quick search and came up with the following info from this site -
    Paracetamol and the liver

Because a large paracetamol overdose causes damage to the liver, it is sometimes assumed that a small amount of paracetamol, such as a normal therapeutic dose, will cause small amounts of damage to the liver also. This is not the case. Paracetamol taken at recommended dosages, even long term, does not harm the liver or other organs.

When the liver has been damaged during a non fatal paracetamol overdose, it recovers fully within a matter of weeks or months following the overdose. The liver damage is not permanent, and does not accumulate with subsequent overdoses unless they are taken close together, before the liver has had time to recover (4).

And there is some information here andhere from Erowid.

You may also want to have a look at the Paracetamol Information Centre, it looks like it has loads of info.
    There wont be any residue, I cant think of any drug that stays in the body over that sort of period. They are all broken down and extreeted (sp?).
    Does acid stay in your system? Or is that just an old wives tale I've heard to make me paranoid about drugs tests?
    no and yes
    Thank you LadyJade, it is a great comfort to know I haven't damaged my self forever!! I would have asked the doctor, but generally I prefer to stay away from the surgery cos if I bring up all my past they start asking questions and I don't really want to talk about it. Somehow its easier on here. :)
    Originally posted by SandboxMagician
    Does acid stay in your system? Or is that just an old wives tale I've heard to make me paranoid about drugs tests?

Its gone out of your system before its even stopped working, no-one really understands why it works.

Unless they actually have you in the lab while you take the trip they can never test for LSD.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    EyeCee, glad we could help, you can always call NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or have a look on their website too, if you would prefer not to talk to your GP.