Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

6th form...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ive just taken my GCSE's and to stay on at the school's 6th form i will need 5 b's. Just incase I dont get these grades, would i be able to go to another 6th form even though i havent applied for it?

my second choice would be a local school which minimum grades are 6 c's which im fairly confident i'll get, but im not sure if they would allow me to go there as i havent applied to them and may mess up their timetables. any idea of what i could do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you should've really applied for another college/6th form i'd assume? though if you don't get your results i'm sure your school will still accept you.
    Most colleges ask for 5 GCSEs Grade A-C, if you're looking to go on and study for A-Levels. If you don't achieve these grades it's completely at their discretion whether they allow you onto your courses of choice.

Some 6th Forms and all colleges offer alternative routes in Further Education, such as GNVQs, other vocational qualifications, modern apprenticeships and loads of other things. Don't be fooled into thinking there's only one path, that path being A Levels.

I would advise you not to panic about it, but start looking around either in person or online, at other colleges and 6th forms in your area. See what courses they offer, the entry requirements and all that stuff. Contact them and find out about enrolement dates, just give yourself as many options as possible in case you don't get your 5 Bs.

I'm sure it will all be fine :)
    Briggi - Thanks for the help. I know of the other paths to follow in further education and I know A Levels is the route I want to take.

Do you think if I emailed a school other than the one I applied for, I would get a reply in time for enrolment as teachers have holidays too?

lucifer devil - Thanks too, I wasn't sure at the time if I should have applied for a second college seeing as if I got into the first choice then the reserved place at the other would go to waste.
    Originally posted by hyukie
    I wasn't sure at the time if I should have applied for a second college seeing as if I got into the first choice then the reserved place at the other would go to waste.
    it really doesn't matter, they know some people won't accept the places, one of my friend's applied for 5 colleges...
    you might still be able to apply for one of the community colleges or something but your school really should have told you to have a back-up application too.
    they didnt say anything about having a back up place, but it did seem logical to me to have one.

i was told that if i dont get a place at the desired college (being a grammar school, the standards to get in are higher), i can turn up at the other college (being a standard one, will only need 5 a-c gcses which im sure ill get) at the first day as many people will have applied for it but not have gone.
    Re: 6th form...
    Originally posted by hyukie
    Ive just taken my GCSE's and to stay on at the school's 6th form i will need 5 b's.

Wow, 5 b's! Only need 5 A-C's by us.
    well thats for the college i hope to stay on at as it was the school i was at before and seeing as its a grammar school, they upped the standards :(
    The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be ring the college and talk to someone there who can give you details of what you would need to do. Hope things go well.